Subaru Outback Forums banner

Battery Isolator wire routing

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  NHPaulG 
#1 ·
Hi everybody. Recently bought a 2013 Outback and we're about to take it on a 10k mile road trip. I bought a small 12v fridge and want to run it off a dedicated battery. To keep the fridge battery charged, I bought a battery isolator, which connects the fridge battery to the starting battery only when the car is running. When the engine is not running, the batteries are disconnected and the fridge can't drain the starting battery. I'd like the fridge battery to be behind the driver's seat. So all that said, I have two questions I'm hoping you can help me with:
1. What's the best route for the red/positive lead between the dedicated battery and the battery isolator? (The isolator is next to the starting battery). I see what looks like an hvac duct under the seat but I'm not sure where it leads or if I could/should take advantage of that. Other options I can think of would be to drill through the firewall then run the wire mostly inside the cabin, or run the wire below the floor (outside of the cabin) to behind the seat. What's my best option?
2. I just need to ground the negative of the fridge battery to the frame. Can I use a seat bolt for that? Any other suggestions for something easily accessible?

#3 ·
Just in case anyone needs the same info, there is a rubber plug in the firewall on the passenger side of the steering wheel. I was able to route the positive lead from the battery isolator to the auxiliary battery through that, then under the center console to the battery in the back seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.