Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, I've been plagued by battery issues. For no apparent reasons my Outback wouldn't start--twice. When the AAA guy came out and tested the battery, the results showed no issues and his charge got it started right up. I got tired of this from the low capacity OEM battery and replaced it with a battery with double the CCA. So far so good.

But yesterday after I had run the car for 100 miles and then it had sat for four or five hours, I was walking by it and heard a noise like a small motor running. Upon close examination I pinpointed the noise to the driver's side rear, just inside the rear wheel. I crawled under the car to see what might be causing it, and it stopped.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the motor noise might be? If so what did you do to rectify the battery discharge problem?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
This is yet another of literally dozens of threads on this same subject. Search is your friend.

You don't say what year Outback you have, but ... see the 2018 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 9. For earlier model years the information will be within a page or two of that location.

Reactions: mowcowbell

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Ah, the 'secret' motor noise that mysteriously appears about 5 hours after shutdown.... I wonder what that could be? ;-)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,206 Posts
Ah, the 'secret' motor noise that mysteriously appears about 5 hours after shutdown.... I wonder what that could be? ;-)
That is one of the little "features" added in by the engineer who owns a lot of stock in the aftermarket battery manufacturing companies and the retailers that sell replacement batteries.;)

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
167 Posts
Noise explaination

Noise from under the vehicle (page 9)

NOTE
You may hear a noise from under the
vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours
after the engine is turned off. However,
this does not indicate a malfunction.
This noise is caused by the operation of
the fuel evaporation leakage checking
system and the operation is normal.
The noise will stop after approximately
15 minutes.
------------------------------------------

I also wondered about this noise which came on when I was installing the left/rear mudflap. I think I've read the manual pretty well, but admittedly, I did not read the disclaimers in the front of the manual before the index page. I would have never seen that.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Doug Just Doug

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Title of this thread should be "I can't find the search button, please help!" :)
If I could I'd make it 72 point font and flashing red.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Have you tried shouting louder for the hard-of-reading folks in the audience?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Have you tried shouting louder for the hard-of-reading folks in the audience?
I've tried that too. Usually get all sorts of PMs full of creative commentary on my personality/intellectual facilities/political ideologies/genitals.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
I’ve long said the ”problem” is not battery capacity but that something somewhere makes excessive demands when the vehicle is parked. Emission pumps and telemetry are key suspects.

Earlier this year I drove around about an hour one afternoon. Parked. And 5 days later battery was under 5V. No dome lights or doors ajar. Battery capacity tested good. Only infinite capacity could have bandaided this incident.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,819 Posts
Don’t mind the people telling you to perform a search. They are perfect and get frustrated with people who are less than perfect. I had the same question awhile ago and inserted the wrong search terms. I got yelled at for being imperfect. That’s just the price we imperfect people have to pay.

Anyway, as somebody said, the motor sound on the rear driver side is some kind of emissions check. It is normal.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts
I've tried that too. Usually get all sorts of PMs full of creative commentary on my personality/intellectual facilities/political ideologies/genitals.

I made this a sticky. just picked one and updated the title,
such should make it quick to offer up a fast response with a link to a first time poster.
(not that I have a gen5 with a infernal factory battery in it)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/391217-gen5-replacing-original-lame-battery-better.html

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,206 Posts
I might have another battery issue involving an OEM battery. Only this time it is the 8 year old battery in my '10 GMC truck.The truck had been sitting for just over two weeks and had about 8 inches of snow on it and temps had been down to -9F but were back up around 30F today. When I went to move it to finish the snow cleanup it turned over quite a bit slower than normal but did start.

I'm thinking it is time for my 5th battery purchase in just over two months. I replaced the weak battery in the Outback, put a 1000cca battery in my old plow truck, and new batteries in two Suzuki quads. After all that what's one more?

It looks like the temps are going to be back down below zero by the weekend so maybe I will try starting it then to see if it was just a fluke. Any hint of it cranking slower and it has to go. And I guess it is time since it is that old.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts
I might have another battery issue involving an OEM battery. Only this time it is the 8 year old battery in my '10 GMC truck.The truck had been sitting for just over two weeks and had about 8 inches of snow on it and temps had been down to -9F but were back up around 30F today. When I went to move it to finish the snow cleanup it turned over quite a bit slower than normal but did start.

I'm thinking it is time for my 5th battery purchase in just over two months. I replaced the weak battery in the Outback, put a 1000cca battery in my old plow truck, and new batteries in two Suzuki quads. After all that what's one more?

It looks like the temps are going to be back down below zero by the weekend so maybe I will try starting it then to see if it was just a fluke. Any hint of it cranking slower and it has to go. And I guess it is time since it is that old.
you might be able to still charge that battery a while and get it to work a little bit longer, but a battery that is already on its last months really hates the cold.

...I was doing that recently with gm car. then it would not charge anymore, and I had to drop another battery in it.
(when I was rounding up a different battery, I found out someone had put a slightly smaller 75 in it instead of the 78 it took...

.and someone at GM needs a nice kick for leaving such little space to work the little 8mm tiny bolts that slip into the back of the battery.
at least subaru uses typical top terminal wires....with "something" sizable to grab with jumper cables

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
293 Posts
Way back in 2015 I replaced my stock Outback 2.5i limited battery with a much larger CCA etc battery as my car was dead one morning and I could not find out why but Subaru tested the battery and said it was fine. Now I'm wondering if something should be reprogrammed to let the computer know of the new battery capacity so as to charge it properly. I'm not thinking the battery is sounding as strong as it should on our cold mornings, maybe it's not getting charged properly. What say you, anyone?

Gene

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
... I'm wondering if something should be reprogrammed to let the computer know of the new battery capacity so as to charge it properly.
No. It doesn't work that way.

... maybe it's not getting charged properly. What say you, anyone?
Put it on a decent battery charger overnight, That may or may not help, but it won't hurt.

There are also two recent TSBs that address battery life in 2015-2017 Legacys and Outbacks. They include firmware updates to the ECM that may help keep the battery fully charged when the car is used mostly for short trips.

·
Registered
16' Outback Limited
68 Posts
Great shape so far

I got a 2016 OB Limited with Eyesight in November of 2015 and to date it has 25,800 miles. There haven’t been any issues with the battery and never have had to jump start it so far. I do agree that OEM batteries are typically junk to cut cost and maximize profit. But I have been satisfied with the original battery for now. I did swap out all light bulbs to LED which draws less power, not sure if that has extended the life of the battery? Just my theory. This winter, Eastern Washington hasn’t experienced super cold weather, yet. But in the years passed since purchasing the vehicle, I haven’t ever had problems starting in the cold. I have an aftermarket converter for the family electronics (2 iPad Mini’s for the kids, 2 iPhones for Mom and Dad and sometimes a MacBook Air) are plugged in all at the same time. No issues to report, and vehicle hasn’t experienced any issues sustaining that. I do however, transport a portable battery pack to self-jump on extended road trips. It has a built-in air compressor as well which can be purchased at Costco. That is where mine is from. I will probably be purchasing a new battery by winter of 2018 (next year) if the OEM lasts that long. I personally try to stick with brand items so I will probably purchase the Subaru replacement battery which are typically better than the OEM battery that the vehicles are shipped with. At least that is my experience with Toyota and their batteries for my commuter vehicle (2010 Corolla S). Anyway, if I do experience issues then I will update this but for now all is well.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
It's nice to hear a positive report for a change. When people have problems, it's expected that they'll bring them up here, while those who don't have problems generally stay quiet, so, when reading these forums it appears that almost everyone is having problems.

The factory battery in the '15, is small but had been adequate for the first 2 1/2 years, including after sitting unattended for nearly a week, twice; once in Montana winter, and once in El Paso summer, a swing of 100° F! It finally failed to start the car two times early fall this year, and both those times were after its electrical system had been loaded for some time, and it started right up both times using the jump-start pack I carry. The car is going to be sitting unused in our unheated detached garage for about three weeks beginning in a few days; we'll see how it does after we get back. If it's dead when we return and/or is sketchy in the winter afterward, I'll probably replace it with a larger-capacity deep-cycle battery since I'd like the option to power some equipment from the car.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
293 Posts
No. It doesn't work that way.

Put it on a decent battery charger overnight, That may or may not help, but it won't hurt.

There are also two recent TSBs that address battery life in 2015-2017 Legacys and Outbacks. They include firmware updates to the ECM that may help keep the battery fully charged when the car is used mostly for short trips.
I just went out to put my charger on the battery and measured the voltage first and it just barely got to 12 volts. We drove the car pretty much most of the morning off and on, short trips is our problem, just on city streets and 35 mph. I suspect the battery is NOT getting much help from the charging system. I put my charger on for over night to see how the start seems in the morning. It's cold here in MN and this was not an issue in warm weather.

I'd like to know what the TSBs are, and for sure the one regarding the ECM for improved short trip charging.

Thanks,
Gene

1 - 20 of 81 Posts