Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Could you check TechInfo on this for me?

2020 Subaru Outback TSB 15-261-20

Reprogramming File Availability for Optimization of Gen 4 Denso CP1 Infotainment Systems

March 10, 2020

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having trouble with a bad battery or am I just unlucky? After about 1,000 miles the battery on my 2020 OB Ltd went completely dead. Local dealership tested the battery out and said it was defective. Adding insult to injury, dealership claims there are no spare batteries in my local area (Seattle/Tacoma). After 1 week with a loaner car they locate a battery in Houston and tell me it's going to be another 4 days till they have it on site to install in my car. At this point I suggest they just swap out a battery from one of the new 2020's on their lot. My service guy says the batteries in those cars could have the same issue. He recommends I wait for the "new and improved" one coming from Houston. I reluctantly agree to wait longer. Long story short--it seems there is low level of confidence in the batteries installed in the initial run of 2020 outbacks. After doing a little online research, battery issues may have have plagued various Subaru models for a few years now. Just wondering if anyone else has so more background
Have 2020 OB Ltd.... put 4K miles on it starting in December. A day ago tried to start car... anemic sounds of starting then stopped. After a few tries the whole car shut down... no interior or exterior lights. back doors and hatch locked. Car towed to dealer who next day said no problem. Asked if any data in car systems indicated a problem... said no. But the whole car shut down!! Have car back and running but battery not replaced. Very nervous since am heading back north from Fl. Will probably replace the Subaru battery with an Interstate. Also not happy with the followup from Customer Assist.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Will probably replace the Subaru battery with an Interstate. Also not happy with the followup from Customer Assist.
If you think the dealer isn't handling this situation correctly you can contact Subaru of America to let them know. 1 (800) 782-2783

Make sure your replacement battery isn't a regular flooded battery. It MUST be either an EFB (enhanced flooded battery designed specifically for start/stop) or AGM designed for start/stop.

Subaru's new EFB battery they are using as replacements have a higher CCA than the original batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having trouble with a bad battery or am I just unlucky? After about 1,000 miles the battery on my 2020 OB Ltd went completely dead. Local dealership tested the battery out and said it was defective. Adding insult to injury, dealership claims there are no spare batteries in my local area (Seattle/Tacoma). After 1 week with a loaner car they locate a battery in Houston and tell me it's going to be another 4 days till they have it on site to install in my car. At this point I suggest they just swap out a battery from one of the new 2020's on their lot. My service guy says the batteries in those cars could have the same issue. He recommends I wait for the "new and improved" one coming from Houston. I reluctantly agree to wait longer. Long story short--it seems there is low level of confidence in the batteries installed in the initial run of 2020 outbacks. After doing a little online research, battery issues may have have plagued various Subaru models for a few years now. Just wondering if anyone else has so more background
I had the same problem with my 2020 outback at 3000 miles. My wife sat in the car with the radio on for about 15 minutes. Then it wouldn’t crank, although the panel came on. I got a jump and took it to the dealer. Service advisor says this is a known problem. With the new models with Starlink, they increased the alternator but not the battery. The replacement battery ($350) Is higher spec but they won’t replace it unless the battery shows a defect. Luckily mine did and I got a warranty replacement. There’s a class action lawsuit out there you can join if the jack you around too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe he means in the 2020 model, they increased the amp output of the alternator to compensate for the new STARLINK gizmos and other electronics, but failed to put a larger capacity battery in to match.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
681 Posts
I believe he means in the 2020 model, they increased the amp output of the alternator to compensate for the new STARLINK gizmos and other electronics, but failed to put a larger capacity battery in to match.
The XT alternator output amperage is higher than the 2.5l alternator amperage. The original LN2 had 620 amps (mine) and reports say a LN2 640 cca battery comes in the later 2020 OB.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had the same problem with out 2020 outback. We got a new battery and 3 months later we are having the same problem. With the stay at home order, we have not been driving much and after a week the battery was dead. Something must be draining the battery when the car is off. But dealer says nothing wrong with the car

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
799 Posts
I picked up mid to late March. Been taking a longer drive once a week since shut down. No battery problems yet.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
We had the same problem with out 2020 outback. We got a new battery and 3 months later we are having the same problem. With the stay at home order, we have not been driving much and after a week the battery was dead. Something must be draining the battery when the car is off. But dealer says nothing wrong with the car
Is your replacement battery the 640 CCA version or the 620 CCA?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is your replacement battery the 640 CCA version or the 620 CCA?
not sure as the car is at the dealer now and we have a loaner. Will look as soon as I pick it up today. They have not been able to reproduce the problem. After the jump I did drive the car 1/2 and hour on the highway to the dealer. But I hate to have a car I can't trust if I go out of town for a week.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Abyss Blue Pearl 2.5
79 Posts
The 620CCA Battery in my 2020 LTD died in March, and left us stranded. Subaru Replaced it with a 640CCA. All is good so far, but I still keep a Lithium Ion jumper box in the car just in case

141 - 160 of 192 Posts