Subaru Outback Forums banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
681 Posts
More about my battery going to less than 12v. I verified that after building the battery charge the voltage drops to 11.9V after 1.5-2 days. When driving the voltage shows as 14.1+ at first and then after ~50 min of driving it reads 14.1-V. The plus indicates it that for a second or so it flashes higher voltage but almost always shows 14.1v...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just wanted to give an update on my dead battery (having had the new Outback for just 3 days). The tech noted acid leaking from the bottom of the battery. It was replaced with the new 640 cc amp vs 620 cc amp battery. It took a week to get installed because they were out of stock and I was provided a loaner (same Limited XT).

·
Registered
681 Posts
This problem has been identified for at least five months so why is there an apparent replacement LN2 battery inventory shortage?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wanted to share that my new Limited XT came with a battery that looks like the 620 made by Johnson Controls that was shown earler, but says Clarios instead.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wanted to share that my new Limited XT came with a battery that looks like the 620 made by Johnson Controls that was shown earler, but says Clarios instead.
View attachment 486043
I hate to tell you this but that was the same battery I had. It was dead a few days after bringing it home from the dealer and was leaking from the bottom. Hopefully you have better luck than I had.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
76 Posts
I just checked and I have a 620CCA battery in my Limited XT. Is there anything I should do to get the dealer to replace it for a 640CCA, or just wait until it dies?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
258 Posts
I just checked and I have a 620CCA battery in my Limited XT. Is there anything I should do to get the dealer to replace it for a 640CCA, or just wait until it dies?
They aren’t going to replace a part that hasn’t failed and there is no guarantee that your battery will fail prematurely.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,338 Posts
I had the OEM battery in our Gen 5 replaced on a regular basis, LOL.
Finally, SoA paid for an aftermarket battery, got one from Costco. No problems since ....
The OEM batteries lasted < 2 years.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
I've had my Limited since April with the 620CCA battery, always fires right up. If yours hasn't suffered premature death it probably will be fine at this point.

If mine dies I will replace it with something better rather than deal with trying to get it replaced under warranty. Unless there's a recall on them Subaru isn't going to replace it "just because" I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had the OEM battery in our Gen 5 replaced on a regular basis, LOL.
Finally, SoA paid for an aftermarket battery, got one from Costco. No problems since ....
The OEM batteries lasted < 2 years.
When SoA replaced a battery under warranty did the warranty time reset to 3 years so that free replacements could theoretically go on for ? FTI, Sears replacements for their DieHard Warranty started with the time remaining on the previous warranty.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with the 620 battery, but for those that had a defective one, the 640 seems to have solved the problem for many.

If my battery fails to start just once (it hasn't yet) I will probably go for an aftermarket AGM.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
When SoA replaced a battery under warranty did the warranty time reset to 3 years so that free replacements could theoretically go on for ? FTI, Sears replacements for their DieHard Warranty started with the time remaining on the previous warranty.
My guess is no. If they replace anything else under warranty, it's still generally only covered under the original warranty terms/length.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
76 Posts
I had the battery replaced in my WRX. If I remember right, the battery was guaranteed for the remaining of the original warranty or 12 months, whichever is longer (may have been a different number of months, but it was that way), so if the battery kept failing within the minimum warranty period for the battery, you could have free batteries for life. But it's pretty annoying to have to find people to help jumpstart your car every few weeks.
After the replaced the battery I just used a charger/reconditioner every year or so, the battery was good when I traded the car recently, a couple of years later, to get the Outback, not sure how much longer that battery will last...
Agree with others I wouldn't trust a replacement more than once. If the 1st replacement fails, aftermarket. Piece of mind has no price.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
258 Posts
I had the battery replaced in my WRX. If I remember right, the battery was guaranteed for the remaining of the original warranty or 12 months, whichever is longer (may have been a different number of months, but it was that way), so if the battery kept failing within the minimum warranty period for the battery, you could have free batteries for life. But it's pretty annoying to have to find people to help jumpstart your car every few weeks.
After the replaced the battery I just used a charger/reconditioner every year or so, the battery was good when I traded the car recently, a couple of years later, to get the Outback, not sure how much longer that battery will last...
Agree with others I wouldn't trust a replacement more than once. If the 1st replacement fails, aftermarket. Piece of mind has no price.
A good peace of mind option is also to carry a lithium battery booster in the glovebox, they are compact and can be bought for $50 or so. If your battery ever goes flat you can then jumpstart your own car without needing to wait for somebody else or risk damaging your or their car’s electrical system.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
This could be a "neither here nor there" post but:

Johnson Controls and Varta battery were purchased by private equity firm Brookfield and rebranded as Clarios in 2018. They make the 620 CCA OEM battery, and probably the 640 as well.

Exide was bought at bankruptcy auction by private equity firm Atlas Holdings in 2020

Interstate Batteries does not make their own batteries and is a privately held battery distributor network that sells batteries made by Brookfield and Atlas Holdings. Their group 47 AGM sure looks a lot like the Deka.

Enersys is a publicly traded company that owns Yuasa and makes the Odyssey batteries.

East Penn is a privately held family owned business that makes Deka batteries and numerous private brands.
The Deka 9a47 is the group 47 size

This CarQuest looks like the Deka and if you check the application guide it says it's the correct replacement, and engineered for vehicles with start-stop technology

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,338 Posts
No. I was past the warranty eventually, and SoA did a godwill gesture giving me money to buy a battery on my own.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts