Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New battery needed every year in my 2015 Outback Limited. I buy at Costco Interstate battery so it's free , still in warranty just a F☆☆king pain in the ass, anyone else with same problems and if so was it resolved???

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,469 Posts
New battery needed every year in my 2015 Outback Limited. I buy at Costco Interstate battery so it's free , still in warranty just a F☆☆king pain in the ass, anyone else with same problems and if so was it resolved???
Have you had the charging system update done?

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you need a new battery every year, that mean you are either getting bad batteries or your charging system is faulty. Many Subaru's came with an undersized battery (was not a bad battery just too small) and as a result, it would get depleted prematurely. This gets resolved when you change the battery. You have a completely different problem.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
416 Posts
In addition to having your charging system checked, I would check for parasitic power draw. Sometimes an electronic module or accessory is faulty drawing too many milliamps than normal. Most modern cars will have some parasitic draw up to 25mAmps that is normal. But a bad module or accessory could be faulty drawing far more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
201 Posts
Running your headlights in the ON position instead of AUTO will trigger the charging system into a higher state of charge. I learned this trick from a Honda tech after my brand new 2012 CRV (has a similar charging system) had multiple no-warning dead battery occurrences.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,054 Posts
If you need a new battery every year, that mean you are either getting bad batteries or your charging system is faulty. Many Subaru's came with an undersized battery (was not a bad battery just too small) and as a result, it would get depleted prematurely. This gets resolved when you change the battery. You have a completely different problem.
A battery sufficient to start the engine is not undersized.

However there is something else going on where a Subaru can be parked 4 weeks without issue then battery is dead one morning after being regularly driven. No “better” battery can “fix” this.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
No “better” battery can “fix” this.
Except for just about everybody who has installed a better battery and never had any more trouble. The exceptions seem to be very few.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,054 Posts

However there is something else going on where a Subaru can be parked 4 weeks without issue then battery is dead one morning after being regularly driven. No “better” battery can “fix” this.
Except for just about everybody who has installed a better battery and never had any more trouble. The exceptions seem to be very few.
You don't understand statistics. 1 in 1000 have a problem with the original and replace the battery. When only 1 in 1000 of those have a problem you are declaring the replacement of original battery was a real fix.

I have a Bluetooth voltage logger on my 2016 Outback and 2018 F-150. Both vehicles have a heavy current draw exactly 5 or 6 hours after it was last driven. And both have occasional heavy draws at no discernible pattern even when on full time Battery Tenders. The draw is great enough to suck the Battery Tender down to 12V.

If the vehicle did not draw from the battery when parked then it could sit for months between uses. Mine used to sit for weeks without issue then it sat for 3 days after being driven an hour or so. Under 5V on battery. But the battery recovered and served another 2.5 years. That wasn't the battery but the Outback draining. There were no dome lights on, no kids playing with things, no partially closed doors, no key fob left close to the vehicle, just me.

When my OE battery failed it failed in classic style: one cell shorted.

·
Registered
383 Posts

That's not really true. The battery may have enough strength to start the car in the summer but may fail in the winter. The differences between the original battery and a quality G24/G34 replacement is night and day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts