Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring
309 Posts
Good point rkporsley! Been there, done that.

I'd like to point out another often overlook thing, that I've seen in my shop many times. A near microscopic layer of corrosion between a battery terminal and battery post. You usually can not see it, unless you remove the terminals. They can look pristene, before removal. Removal is required to inspect any terminals.

And, this happened to me recently, after one of my free oil changes and multi-point inspections, Subaru gives us with new cars, which includes the battery terminals and water. I was surely pissed, yet not surprised, at the service department.
But be sure, this could have happened at any dealer, not just Subaru. (first and LAST time anybody besides me, works on my car... I hope)

Long/short, my 9 month old Outback would not start, 3 days after Subaru dealer inspection. Five mins with a wire brush and all fixed.

About the oem battery, all manufacturers put in small 3 yr batteries. It's really about weight and mpg. But they are not crappy, they are just small. With proper use and maintenance and no major overuse/high drain problems, they preform fine. Don't forget the water (distilled only). Check at least twice a year. Mine needed 24z when I gave up on dealer and resumed my own maintenance.
I always get 7-8 yrs from batteries, after oem wears out and always replacing with largest possible group size and longest warranty option. They always last 1-2, even 3 yrs past usual 5-7yr warranty.

I also agree completely with ammcinnis, this is NOT a Subaru "thing".

50+ yrs as foreign car mechanic and Subaru IS, hands down, the car for me. Even after putting about 600k miles on Toyotas, the worlds second best car. I love both companies. I won't digress (much), about how these companies have had a very tight relationship over the years and until recently, owned significant portions of each other...

I hope some of this ramble helps...
Steve017, thanks for making some good points. Polish those posts and terminals, it matters!

I was a used Subaru dealer in PA in the 90's, and my previous relationships with Subarus was exactly why I chose to be a dealer. I totally agree with your rationale.

Subaru may not be the most refined, glamorous, powerful, fastest, or even the most reliable, trouble free vehicle on the planet, but dayem, they are relatively inexpensive new or used, hold a decent value, they are easy to keep, easy to work on(yes, with minimum tools YOU can actually turn wrenches!), parts aren't outrageous, the UTILITY is awesome(almost truck-like), and they have just enough tech to get the job done, without pissing you off(turn it off).

My wife couldn't wait to get back in a Subie after 3 BMW's and 2 Benz since we traded an '08 Gen3 OB Limited in '14. I was hesitant and distraught about the CVT issue(justified?). Now that we're in a '17 OB Touring, I remember why I enjoyed these units so much.

EVERYTHING WORKS AS DESIGNED! With decent ergonomics, acceptable economy, enough power, pile stuff in it, on top of it, behind it, take it almost anywhere, let's be honest, you can beat it up. These OB's can take it, and for a long time. If you live/play outdoors, have a family, love to travel by car, demand safety and convenience, Subaru delivers. It's a niche market, but it's a broad one.

IMO these OB's are on the Best Buy list for people that appreciate VALUE.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
Subaru may not be the most refined, glamorous, powerful, fastest, or even the most reliable, trouble free vehicle on the planet,
What modern car can you really say that about?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,631 Posts
What modern car can you really say that about?
I don't think he was saying any car has all of those qualities, but just that Subaru doesn't have any of those qualities. The jack of all trades and master of none.

Reactions: LogicalPosition

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I don't think he was saying any car has all of those qualities, but just that Subaru doesn't have any of those qualities. The jack of all trades and master of none.
Pretty much describes Subaru. Their vehicles are pretty lackluster with each new gen looking not much different from the previous gen. A radical design change for them is repositioning the rear view mirrors.

They seem to be more interested in appeasing their base than capturing new conquest customers.

It will be interesting to see how close the European EV resembles the concept.

Until Subaru turns the designers and engineers loose, they are destined to be a small fish in a big pond.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Every car maker has recognized that the head unit can break the sale, and Subaru is no exception. (Many people trade in perfectly good cars merely because their headunit is dated.) I believe Subaru’s core base would be happy with a rock solid 2010-style headunit. However, Subaru knows they cannot just cater to their core base. They have to cater to the folks who won’t even consider Subaru if the headunit does not have a huge screen that makes them feel like a spaceship commander. At the same time, they risk losing customers like me. If I were going to buy a Subaru today, I would buy a 2021 Crosstrek, and the simpler version of the headunit (including the simpler HVAC controls) has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,578 Posts
Every car maker has recognized that the head unit can break the sale, and Subaru is no exception. (Many people trade in perfectly good cars merely because their headunit it dated.) I believe Subaru’s core base would be happy with a rock solid 2010-style headunit. However, Subaru knows they cannot just cater to their core base. They have to cater to the folks who won’t even consider Subaru if the headunit does not have a huge screen that makes them feel like a spaceship commander. At the same time, they risk losing customers like me. If I were going to buy a Subaru today, I would buy a 2021 Crosstrek, and the simpler version of the headunit (including the simpler HVAC controls) has a lot to do with it.
I hear ya, but the size of the Outback still makes it the perfect choice for us. We had a hard time going from the 19 Outback and it's near perfect head unit to the 20, but since 504 and 380 we truly like the head unit in the 20 even better than the 19.

·
Registered
Outback Limited 2020 Red (former 2015)
74 Posts
There are many threads about the Subaru batteries. Our last was a 2015 LTD that had battery problems constantly. After several dealer firmware updates things finally settled out. Subaru has a ‘smart’ charging system that originally didn’t even charge on short trips! Updates revised the charge schedule. Bigger replacement battery also helped. My daughter now has the car. No issues on this last (4th) battery - yet.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring
309 Posts
Every car maker has recognized that the head unit can break the sale, and Subaru is no exception. (Many people trade in perfectly good cars merely because their headunit is dated.) I believe Subaru’s core base would be happy with a rock solid 2010-style headunit. However, Subaru knows they cannot just cater to their core base. They have to cater to the folks who won’t even consider Subaru if the headunit does not have a huge screen that makes them feel like a spaceship commander. At the same time, they risk losing customers like me. If I were going to buy a Subaru today, I would buy a 2021 Crosstrek, and the simpler version of the headunit (including the simpler HVAC controls) has a lot to do with it.

I probably shouldn't ask you if you wanna test drive a Tesla. In fact there IS a Tesla out in space, I think it just flew past Mars this summer. With a good telescope you might be able to see the head unit in that convertible.

The best way to grow your business is by not losing the customers you already have. 🤠

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I probably shouldn't ask you if you wanna test drive a Tesla. In fact there IS a Tesla out in space, I think it just flew past Mars this summer. With a good telescope you might be able to see the head unit in that convertible.

The best way to grow your business is by not losing the customers you already have. 🤠
I would definitely be interested in a Tesla if I were in the market for that type of vehicle. Subaru vehicles are a different mindset and purpose for me. I just hope Subaru think so too.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring
309 Posts
I would definitely be interested in a Tesla if I were in the market for that type of vehicle. Subaru vehicles are a different mindset and purpose for me. I just hope Subaru think so too.

My point is that Tesla utilizes a TV screen larger than ANY I have seen to date.

Tell me how we're gonna provide all of the electricity to charge these electric vehicles, again.
Where do they mine all of the lithium for the batteries?
How does one dispose of the batteries?
Electric Cars = The Great Automobile Fraud of the 21st Century

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,503 Posts
Tell me how we're gonna provide all of the electricity to charge these electric vehicles, again.
A good question for California, with a goal of all-electric sales by 2035 and a deteriorating utility infrastructure.
But electric doesn't need to be all/none, IMO. A unified battery architecture and chemistry would help, and batteries need to be designed for recycling.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring
309 Posts
A good question for California, with a goal of all-electric sales by 2035 and a deteriorating utility infrastructure.
But electric doesn't need to be all/none, IMO. A unified battery architecture and chemistry would help, and batteries need to be designed for recycling.

And NONE of that is being addressed publicly.

And the crisis for Subaru is a $80 battery? I think I have my priorities straight.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
My point is that Tesla utilizes a TV screen larger than ANY I have seen to date.

Yes, energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be changed from one form to another (Conservation of Energy).
Humans need to be moving toward (1) using less energy and/or (2) using renewable energy sources. Any system that does not have a clear path there is a fraud.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,664 Posts
Since WW-II, U.S. electric utilities have wrestled with the problem of substantial excess base generating capacity at night. Charging electric vehicles at night could go a long way to helping mitigate the issue of peak load vs. base load. Utilities might even benefit from offering slight discounts for vehicle charging during off-peak hours.

Edit: Another point to consider is that large wind turbines can, on average, generate more power at night than during the day. There is less convective mixing near the ground at night, which results in the wind turbines "seeing" slightly higher sustained wind speeds.

Reactions: AvidHiker

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Outback’s battery has been dead every morning for the last couple mornings. Autozone tested the battery and alternator. Both checked good. I busted out the multimeter and I have .2 amp drain coming from fuse 29 ABS Sol. Has anyone had the this problem? Or what this fuse controls? I google’d ABS solenoid and came up with zero.
Well, took my 2015 Outback into the dealer for my battery drain.
They said they have a new $12,000 machine that can find a parasitic drain.
I've been checking my car out off and on for about a month.
I disconnected the ALT over night to eliminate it as a source, still dead battery.
Removed the radio to eliminate it as a source.
Removed the trailer light kit to eliminate it as a source.
I tested the Alt, (14.3 volts).
Load-tested the 2 year old NAPA battery, passed with flying colors.
Well an hour after I dropped it off, I got a call.
They said the alt was ONLY putting out 16 volts.
I said only? isn't that rather high?
He said these late model cars have a much higher demand now, (this is the service writer relaying what the tech told him).
I mentioned it is still a 12 volt system and he didn't seem to understand what that meant.
They wanted $950 to replace the Alt and battery and that was the only problem with the car.
I mentioned my note I left with him stated I had disconnected the Alt, but battery still went down.
His reply was the fault is in the Alt.
So, I picked my car up, ($140).
He went on to say the alt being shorted out and that it shorted out the battery.
When I got home tested the Alt and it is now putting out 16 volts.
I can only assume their $12,000 machine somehow fried the regulator.
I also tested the battery and son-of-a-gun, it test just fine,
Loaded it down 3 times, still passed. next morning it still passed, (I had removed the NEG cable).
So, now I have to replace the Alt, (ouch! spendy!).
I think I'll opt for a used one.
I will update when I get the Alt installed and take it back to the dealership for the Parasitic battery drain and see if they can fry this Alt.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
806 Posts
I haven't had any issues yet with the battery in my 2021 Touring; we've had the car 6 months now. I replaced the original battery in our 2011 OB Premium in 2014 with an Optima Red Top - - it's been in the car 7 years now and started the car every time without a hitch. I'm hoping my next replacement does as well as this Optima has. . .

21 - 36 of 36 Posts