Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the PLAN:

I will soon be hooking up several (3) sets of driving/fog lights to my 2006 2.5 battery/electrical system. I think 55w/12v lights draw about 4.5 amps each - this seems like a whole lot (is my math screwy?). They will be wired directly to the battery with inline fuses. In all honesty I would not normally run more than 2 sets at once, if that. Do I need to upgrade my battery or alternator? I'm pretty sure the OEM parts won't stand up to this. Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
847 Posts
For what application are you installing three sets of lights? Rally? If you will be running them for just short intervals, you will be able to make do at reduced voltage, but you definitely need a high output alternator if you want full brightness and a long run time. The battery size is pretty much irrelevant, as long as it is in good condition. It is extra charging amps that you need.

I suggest that you buy HIDs (or even LEDs for flood applications) and try them with your stock setup. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Other than the higher initial costs, there are really no significant downsides to HIDs, and there are lots of them for halogens..... including they run hot, use tons of current, and require heavy wires and relays.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not rally - its an outback. I just want more light available when I want it. My biggest issue is they have to be thin or low profile. A typical HID projector is a little too fat for my application.
I've been looking for foglights that use the 9005 lamp - that way I can use the 9011 bulb for increased efficiency and brightness. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help,
Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
rasterman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing