Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT (Canada)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my poor 2 week old Subbie is getting towed back to the dealership for the second day straight.

Yesterday I went to start it with the app, no luck. So bundle up to start the car, get into the car, hit the button... click click click click... Swear. Call 360 and get towed to the dealership. Service dept checks the battery, no bad cells, does a draw test, no issues. Charges the battery and sends me home. Today, same thing.

Not a happy owner today. :(. This is my first ever new car, and I wish it was a better experience.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Touring
127 Posts
So my poor 2 week old Subbie is getting towed back to the dealership for the second day straight.

Yesterday I went to start it with the app, no luck. So bundle up to start the car, get into the car, hit the button... click click click click... Swear. Call 360 and get towed to the dealership. Service dept checks the battery, no bad cells, does a draw test, no issues. Charges the battery and sends me home. Today, same thing.

Not a happy owner today. :(. This is my first ever new car, and I wish it was a better experience.
Oh that hurts. I hope they can figure out what is wrong. Odd that it isn't the battery. Maybe a bad starter or a bad connection to the starter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that hurts. I hope they can figure out what is wrong. Odd that it isn't the battery. Maybe a bad starter or a bad connection to the starter?
Oh the battery was dead yesterday, just couldn’t find the reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So car's at the dealer. I got a 2020 forester loaner. I miss my outback!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. This is probably completely unrelated to your problem, but our cars are continually trying to sense the key fob, and if the key fob is near enough, the car stays in a ready state that draws more electricity. That's why it's recommended if you're camping, not to have the key fob turned on near or inside the vehicle, as it will kill your battery.

Here's a video by a fellow Outback user on how to turn the key fob off temporarily

I wonder if it's possible that even with your key fob off or away from the vehicle, something else in the environment might keep the car in an alert state and draining.

Battery failure was reportedly a known issue in pre-production that was a concern prior to retail sales of the car. In other threads it's discussed that there was a problem with the battery suppliers and that if affects many brands of vehicles.

Hope your car is fixed quickly!

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
123 Posts
Any chance that you have left the rear hatch in the open position overnight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance that you have left the rear hatch in the open position overnight?
The first time I thought it was possible I screwed up in some manner like that, but after getting the car back after the dealer charged it back to 100% on the shop charger, I was extra careful last night and waited to see that all the interior lights and the headlights had gone off before closing the front door, so I'm pretty sure it was snug as a bug. Dealer said the battery tested fine. Although that was probably in a nice warm garage and not in the negative whatever it is was this morning.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
Hopefully it was the battery in the first place. Could still be something else - two deep cycle discharges like that within a day can ruin a battery.
Keep us updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts