Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Today we drove up for a hike and everything seemed normal except for the temperatures (we're at the end of a heat wave) When we walked back to the car i decided to try the remote start. First try and it didn't turn over, 2nd try and it didn't turn over. I get in the driver seats and start with the key and it threw a P0335 . Oh man. Pop the hood. check everything and all looks, feels, and sounds ok. maybe that was because of the 2 failed remote starts.

Clear out the codes. Go for a drive everything seems normal so we stop at the grocery store. Get back to the car and the car throws a P0607. Crap. Open up the hood look things over on the engine itself. then notice the corrosion on the battery terminals. I clean off the terminal best as possible not having a baking soda paste or brushes handy and reconnect it all. Start it up and everything seems fine and drive home.

Could the bad connection to the battery cause the car to throw phantom codes?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Check your main negative cable for solid corrosion. I have seen this a bunch of times. Folks clean the terminals and the exposed copper. But he whole line is caked. Peel back an inch and see if I am right?

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@traildogck thanks for the reply

Well ill have to look next time. I cleaned off the corrosion on the terminals and cable ends with baking soda paste, wire brush, steel cloth, and file. The positive cable end is starting to fall apart. Both cable ends had corrision on the inner diameter. After cleaning i put a little dielectric grease&baking soda mix on the cable ends and reconnected everything.

Cycled through the idle learn process and all seems well. Went for a little drive with a stop and restart and no codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
time to toss the battery wires.

happens...= makes for phantom codes that mean nothing, and go away when the battery and/or the battery cables/ cable ends get swapped.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Our 2010 did this. The battery was venting around the post. We replaced the battery but the vented gas had done its work under the cover on the pos cable. About 6 months later zero juice. Pulled the cable and found a section totally gone to dust about 10 inches down from the battery clamp. New pos cable and all is good. No venting battery either!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts