Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most likely a few of you have dealt with this issue in the past when batter hold down plate openings just "rip" apart and can no longer hold the wire straps... what fix did you come up with? I'm thinking about just installing a universal battery hold down tray but those come in a bit bigger size than original - more like 7X11.5 (group 24 batteries) - where original is 7X9 (group 22 batteries).

I know bigger will fit in there but..... your input will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,948 Posts
If you can access the area under the plate maybe you could use two small u-bolts, with 2 extra nuts so it sticks up.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about getting a new tray in there and just screw it to the old plate - I'm just having difficulty finding the right plate, just right.

·
Registered
18,735 Posts
Is the battery tray otherwise in good shape to support the battery?

If so, perhaps the ripped holes that the vertical hold-down bolts hook into can be substituted by a steel "strap" that goes under the tray and comes up on the side next to the holes. The strap would have it's own holes sized for the hooks, and could be pop-riveted or glued to the underside of the tray in one or two places to keep it from shifting or falling down when the hooks are removed.

This would require enough clearance underneath to fit the strap, but would maintain the original tray and overall appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the holes are ripped pretty bad. I don't think there's enough room under the tray for this idea to work. I'm sure there was a plastic tray as well in there but it's gone now - as well as cable - battery terminals that have been substituted by some universal ones... I had a few idea, spanning from using a couple of long zip ties to hold the battery down to Velcro strap to suitcase type of strap... I would much rather do something non ******* type - something permanent. That's why I was toying with the idea of just installing a regular, universal tray like the one in the photo... I'm still looking for a smaller one - I might visit marine or farm supply stores tomorrow... they might just have what I need.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts