Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Outback Limited in Red - Fully Loaded!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring Break is coming up,

For a nice project i want to install a Bazooka Tube in the back.
- Has anyone ever set up a bazooka tube in an
first gen outback?

- what other specific parts would i need in order to install it? Any instructions and diagrams would surely be appreciated.

P.S - i promise to put up pictures and sound clips. :)

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
Check out Crutchfield. They pointed me in the right direction when i needed wiring for my sub. They have a kit that probably includes everything you need.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
I second Crutchfield being a great resource. Installation instructions would be greatly dependent on what you already have for your current system though.

·
Registered
1997 Outback Limited in Red - Fully Loaded!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I second Crutchfield being a great resource. Installation instructions would be greatly dependent on what you already have for your current system though.
All stock except a aftermarket jensen cd radio with weatherband!
I do still have the OEM headunit though

·
Registered
'97 Outback Limited, 2.5 DOHC, Automatic, ABS
97 Posts
I'm thinking of something similar. If you live where there are thrift stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army, you can sometimes score a 70's vintage pair of house speakers, and these will go deeper than a Bazooka for the price of replacing the rotted out surrounds of a great set of woofers. You got a Lincoln, I had a Grand Marquis, what I did for subs was there was enough room in the trunk where the spare tire sat to bolt in a piece of oak plywood and mount three subwoofers there. I also got a bulk roll of 4ga wire to run power to the trunk, and to ground the amps to the body. Then ran a battery cable as a body ground under the hood. Used a 140 amp commercial wheel chair lift circuit breaker at the battery. You need some kind of fuse/breaker in case a power wire rubs thru on the frame somewhere. Oh, it ate an alternator once a year too. 1300 watts total.
What I'm planning to try is a panel in back of the seat with 2 subs with a top panel cut to fit inside the wayback, all of this just underneath the roll cover, with 2x3 legs to hold the weight, and just let it seal itself with some thick weatherstrip so it's removable. The idea is a large cabinet for the subs to live in, but keep the weight down. No back so I can stuff stuff inside, and no bottom. Yes, Bazookas are light too. I also have the OE under seat sub. It adds some thump but it's not real bass. I'll use the amp section. The driver is three ohms. I'll have 2 woofers in parallel for 4 ohms. Vintage Jensen woofers from the 60's, very efficient ( while power handling counts, what you need to know is efficiency say 91db/1w/1m and the Fs which is the frequency below which the bass rolls of.) Or refoam those old Advents and just let them slide around in back....it's a station wagon, and it all needs to be out of sight. Unless you live where black out tint is legal. The Haynes manual has a good wiring diagram section.
Check out Parts Express.com for subwoofer kits, amps, and amp wiring kits. They have fast service, and get on the mailing list for closeout deals. No, I don't work for them or have stock shares. They also have a great forum. Check out Midwest Audiofest there too.
And for now I'm keeping the OE radio, not as hifi as my old Clarion, but it has better reception than anything I've ever owned. The sub apparently came with an extension cable that plugged right into the radio and to the main harness, so all the wires for a sub break out there. And WX.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
If you have an aftermarket head unit with preamp outputs then you are pretty much set. Just run the wires, which isn't hard at all, and hook everything up. Keep in mind that you could get some interference if you run cheaper RCA wires, and rout them down the transmission/drive shaft tunnel. You can definitely run them there but make sure you get a higher quality set with some good shielding. You will know if it isn't right because you will get a humming noise from the amplified speaker/speakers.
In the event that you use a powered Bazooka tube there are a couple of things to think about as well. If you are going to run the RCA's and remote turn on lead down the trans tunnel you may want to run them down the passenger side. That way you can run the power wire down the driver side and further stay away from signal interference issues.
If you are running an external amp then you have other things to think about when it comes to placement. Most people put them under a seat, which seat is up to you. It depends on how you use your car, how many people get in and out of the car, how often each seat gets moved, how often people sit in the back seat and which side, etc.. Ideally you would want it under a seat that doesn't get moved much and rarely has back seat passengers placing feet under it.
The last time I used a Bazooka tube it was in a Nissan King cab 4x4. I had an 8" non powered unit that I was giving around 75 watts to and for that space it did great. An 8" or a 10" with a little more power should serve an Outback well.
The last sub I had in a car was in my old 04 WRX wagon. I made a custom box that fit inside the stock spare tire and I just removed the plastic tool tray. It all fit under the factory floor and was invisible. I had a cheap 10" sub and was giving it around 100 watts and it was no competition machine but did well for the most part.
Sorry to ramble on. Good luck with the build and do post up the results when you are done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts