Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pulled the trigger and ordered BC Racing Coilovers for my 2015 Outback.
(still enroute to me)
Personally the stance with the RSR springs still leaves me with an unwanted tire/fender gap of 3 fingers front and 2.5 fingers rear.
I've mentioned before that if Subaru made a current chassis Legacy Wagon I'd have bought that as I do not need the ground clearance.
I did not purchase the F-27-BR (which is what our chassis calls for) but the F-25-BR which is for the 15+ WRX/STI.
Being lowered 1.5" so far still leaves me with another 1 - 1.5" of where I want to be which the WRX/STI kit should allow.
I'll keep you posted with pics (and alignment issues I come across as I was borderline "okay" with the current set up).

https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/br-series-coilover-subaru-wrx-sti-2015-2016?gfid=p987-c1020

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,975 Posts
ALERT- Potential Problem

Welcome to the BC BR family. I run them on Cherry. They are OK, I have some issues but overall I like them.

I think you have a potential problem though. Unless you ordered the strut/knuckle housing for the Outback there is a problem. The front sway bar set ups are different. The STI utilizes the LCA for the endlink attachment. See below, it's the little short link.

Now look at the Outback. the endlink is much longer. More importantly, it attaches to the strut, NOT the LCA. The BC strut/knuckle needs an attachment point the STI application doesn't have.

You can still do what you want. BC BRs come pre-assembled with the preload already set. But they are like Legos. You just need the right pieces. You can order the proper knuckle housing and they sell separate parts. Just get them swapped out and you will be good.

Unless you thought about this beforehand when you built your kit.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that traildogck,
You mean the lower part of the BC coilover that would be specific for the Outback.
Oops, oversight.
Will have to figure that out.

·
Master Caster
15,975 Posts
Thanks for that traildogck,
You mean the lower part of the BC coilover that would be specific for the Outback.
Oops, oversight.
Will have to figure that out.
Yes.

The lower you need has an attachment point for the long sway bar link on the 2015+ Outback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see what you mean,
They do not have the lowers on their site yet (during chatting they mentioned they'd ask IT dept to get that up asap, but not in stock, so will be 4 weeks until they have stock :(

·
Master Caster
15,975 Posts
I just saw you are in Canada also. It could be worse, you could be in Australia and the car could already be apart. Look on the bright side regarding the waiting.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BC Racing F-27-BR

So after returning the WRX/STI coil overs and receiving the proper set for the Legacy/Outback (F-27-BR) I installed them tonight.
Because they fit the Legacy as well, they are much shorter than expected. The fronts offer more length to raise up or lower (I can adjust another 2 inches or so upwards but easily another 2 inches downwards as well) but the rear's are pretty much at full height. The measurement from the top of each fender to the ground is 28 3/4". I guess for those who would want the back of the car to sit higher (it's perfect for me now), could add upper shock mount spacers. It took me about 3 hours (half of that time was adjusting corners to be exact) and alignment to follow on Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
15,975 Posts
Because they fit the Legacy as well, they are much shorter than expected. The fronts offer more length to raise up or lower (I can adjust another 2 inches or so upwards but easily another 2 inches downwards as well) but the rear's are pretty much at full height.
Whoh...she's low.

Ok this is easy...top strut spacers in the rear...and top out the front where you want. You can get away with 1" pucks, over that you need a true "lift" type. But you can get there...

Just plan on bumping the rear

·
Registered
‘15 STi Limited - modded, ‘18 OB 3.6R - Process begun
77 Posts
So after returning the WRX/STI coil overs and receiving the proper set for the Legacy/Outback (F-27-BR) I installed them tonight.

Nice! I just received mine today (F-27-BR). I added the Swift Springs. Did you have to change out the Rear UCA/LCA to bring it back into correct camber?

What is your wheel/tire setup. I am looking for ideas. I like the beefier tire for those bumps...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoh...she's low.

Ok this is easy...top strut spacers in the rear...and top out the front where you want. You can get away with 1" pucks, over that you need a true "lift" type. But you can get there...

Just plan on bumping the rear

I found RalliTek rear spacers in either .5" or 1" configurations

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! I just received mine today (F-27-BR). I added the Swift Springs. Did you have to change out the Rear UCA/LCA to bring it back into correct camber?

What is your wheel/tire setup. I am looking for ideas. I like the beefier tire for those bumps...
Swift springs = even lower?
My rear is about as high as I can go with standard set-up.
Haven't done alignment (tomorrow).
Wheel and tire set up is in my signature

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking real good! Glad you kept us up to date, I was curious how it worked on the 2015.
Lift kits are cool, but lowering the Outback is cooler.
Objectively, how do you think the handling has changed after you lowered it? I bet it takes them back roads like a champ.
All you need now is a front strut brace and a supercharger!

·
Master Caster
15,975 Posts
I bet it takes them back roads like a champ.
All you need now is a front strut brace and a supercharger!
And some performance sway bar bushings, I think I know a guy ... Hehe.

·
Registered
‘15 STi Limited - modded, ‘18 OB 3.6R - Process begun
77 Posts
Swift springs = even lower?

My rear is about as high as I can go with standard set-up.

Haven't done alignment (tomorrow).

Wheel and tire set up is in my signature

I am ordering the 1” spacer from Rallitek or if I can find a 1-1/2 or 2” I will get that to compensate. Thanks for the heads up on that...
Let us know how the ride is, when you set the dampening, soft-med-hard, when compared to stock. I know it will be a little stiffer either way. If it’s like my stock STi my wife won’t kill me.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Handling is amazing,
Combination of lower profile summer tires on wider rims, 20mm RSB and the suspension set up makes it handle and corner like a big WRX with al most no body roll.
Dampener settings are at softest and it's smooth as stock over bumps.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am ordering the 1” spacer from Rallitek or if I can find a 1-1/2 or 2” I will get that to compensate. Thanks for the heads up on that...
Let us know how the ride is, when you set the dampening, soft-med-hard, when compared to stock. I know it will be a little stiffer either way. If it’s like my stock STi my wife won’t kill me.
It's not stiffer.
I have them at the softest setting and it rides nice, like "comfy the wife wouldn't notice" nice.
But with super sharp turn in and no body roll.
It was much stiffer with the RSR springs and stock shocks.

·
Master Caster
15,975 Posts
My BC BRs ride like a brick. They were designed for a 2000-2009 Outback. You got the kit for the WRX though, so they would have a spring rate designed for a smaller car. It would make sense they would ride better. If I were to ever put another BC set together or replace the springs I would bump each down one rate.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My BC BRs ride like a brick. They were designed for a 2000-2009 Outback. You got the kit for the WRX though, so they would have a spring rate designed for a smaller car. It would make sense they would ride better. If I were to ever put another BC set together or replace the springs I would bump each down one rate.
Oh no traildogck, I returned the WRX/STI set and ordered the proper Legacy/Outback set (F-27-BR).
Didn't want to mess around with modifying end links and such.
These bolted in like factory and give me MORE than enough lowering, almost too much.

·
Master Caster
15,975 Posts
Oh no traildogck, I returned the WRX/STI set and ordered the proper Legacy/Outback set (F-27-BR).
Didn't want to mess around with modifying end links and such.
These bolted in like factory and give me MORE than enough lowering, almost too much.
Oh, I thought you just swapped out that lower strut/knuckle attachment.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Coil over update:

Front and rear coil overs were not adjusted properly when installed (length/height of each corner).
Now it's level and I've found I have about another inch in the rear to go up if needed.
Here are 3 shots (with same wheels) from stock, RSR Springs and BC Racing coil overs.
And alignment printout (yes the rear camber is out of spec).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 201 Posts