Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done any beach driving in your Gen 5 Outback? I know these cars are very capable, but I was curious about any specific tips for soft sand driving. I'll be taking my car to Pensacola, FL next month (may or may not drive on the beach) and to Nantucket Island, MA in early September (definite plans to be on the beach with it).

Based on what I've heard/read, the Outback should do great. But I don't want to do something stupid and still manage to get my car stuck. Lol!

I'd be very interested in your experiences, tips, and even pics from your time on the beach with your OB! Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
69 Posts
My experience is with soft brown sand in the Southwestern Deserts of the US, not the white stuff you find on beaches. I dropped the air pressure in my tires to 10 psi (ignore the tire pressure warning indicator) and always kept moving through the really soft stuff. I hit the X-Mode button a couple times but it seemed to make no difference, the car kept moving just fine.

-Joe

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,553 Posts
^^ always read just what he said.

The farther from civilization you plan to go, the more prepared you should be with recovery equipment/knowledge.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
10lbs is extreme. You only need to drop to 20-25 and the OB is fine. The tires are not ideal for low teens pressure, and the car isnt really heavy enough to warrant that low of pressure. With my balloon 4x4 off road tires I fo 18psi on the truck. The only guys getting down into the 12-10 psi are running big giant fat tires on tiny wheels on rocky Rubicon style stuff.

Turn the stability control off thats the button with the swervy car icon. That will let you power through sand without cutting power if the wheels spin some.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, crystal white pearl, dark gray interior. Eyesight, Nav, HK radio
756 Posts
You're really going to take a new Outback (or anything else new for that matter) on a seawater beach?

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback; tungsten metallic with E/S and every option. I also have a Samsung Note 8 smartphone for trouble-free Bluetooth functionality.
1,369 Posts
You're really going to take a new Outback (or anything else new for that matter) on a seawater beach?

Maybe he should wrap it first?

I took mine on the beaches of Padre Island and it ran just fine. Did not drop the pressure on the tires. I hit a huge rainstorm on the way home the next day so I didn't worry about saltwater or sand. But if I had not, I was going to run it through a carwarsh and then ru a high-pressure hose all over it, especially the wheel wells.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
435 Posts
I'm planning to take my 2016 OB on the beach in Nantucket this summer. We vacation there every year and since trading my Jeep Wrangler, it will be fun to see what my Subie can do. I have a folding shovel, portable air compressor, traction pads, jack, tow strap, shackle for the tow point (not planning to need this stuff) tire pressure gauge when I air back up. Tire patch kit, Beach chairs and beach umbrellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I'm planning to take my 2016 OB on the beach in Nantucket this summer. We vacation there every year and since trading my Jeep Wrangler, it will be fun to see what my Subie can do. I have a folding shovel, portable air compressor, traction pads, jack, tow strap, shackle for the tow point (not planning to need this stuff) tire pressure gauge when I air back up. Tire patch kit, Beach chairs and beach umbrellas.

Bring along a board. The jack will sink into the sand without it.

·
Registered
2016 subaru outback 3.6r, 2011 Subaru ForesterXt
232 Posts
Most Subaru owners have absolutely no idea what their vehicles are capable of because Subaru markets them as soccer Mom cars but the fact is that they are better on the beach than just about any other 4wd out there. My 2005XT traveled the NC beaches for 6 years and now this 2016 Outback is even better. If you have stock tires, air them down to around 20 lbs. I usually leave the front about a a pound or two higher than the rear. I just upgraded my tires to Yokohama Geolanders 245/65/17 and it's even better with another 1/2 of ground clearance. I can take the pressure down even lower on the taller tires and it feels much better once back on the blacktop heading for the air tank. BTW, the GEO's are just as quiet as the sorry Duelers that come on the car but the improvements all the way around are dramatic. The body roll around curves is coming from the sorry Duelers. After the upgrade, I have far more control going around curves.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Most Subaru owners have absolutely no idea what their vehicles are capable of because Subaru markets them as soccer Mom cars but the fact is that they are better on the beach than just about any other 4wd out there. My 2005XT traveled the NC beaches for 6 years and now this 2016 Outback is even better. If you have stock tires, air them down to around 20 lbs. I usually leave the front about a a pound or two higher than the rear. I just upgraded my tires to Yokohama Geolanders 245/65/17 and it's even better with another 1/2 of ground clearance. I can take the pressure down even lower on the taller tires and it feels much better once back on the blacktop heading for the air tank. BTW, the GEO's are just as quiet as the sorry Duelers that come on the car but the improvements all the way around are dramatic. The body roll around curves is coming from the sorry Duelers. After the upgrade, I have far more control going around curves.
I'm planning to upgrade my stock 18" Bridgestone's this fall. Was wondering about the GEOs. I traded my 2014 Jeep Wrangler for my 2016 Outback Limited and so far I'm impressed what it can do. I have taken it on one off road outing on an overgrown trail with logs and branches and she went through it just fine bone stock. She's not a rock crawler but she can go places a conventional car or cross over SUV can't.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here is a pic of the Outback on the beach where it goes at least twice a week. This the same beach that my brand new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk could not handle without the tranny overheating every time I took it out there.
Oops, for some reason, I can't post a pic today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been on the beach a few times. I've also done a lot of driving on sandy forest roads. X-Mode will help you modulate your speed under 15 mph. I find the Outback gets very jerky if you try to maintain a slow speed, but X-Mode puts it into a slightly lower gear than you would other wise find.

Here's me on Daytona Beach a few months ago. I have 245/65R17 Cooper AT3s on and have never messed with my tire pressures yet and I have yet to get stuck or have any issue with traction.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm planning to upgrade my stock 18" Bridgestone's this fall. Was wondering about the GEOs. I traded my 2014 Jeep Wrangler for my 2016 Outback Limited and so far I'm impressed what it can do. I have taken it on one off road outing on an overgrown trail with logs and branches and she went through it just fine bone stock. She's not a rock crawler but she can go places a conventional car or cross over SUV can't.

Yes, the Outbacks are not for rock climbing but far superior to a Wrangler or any jeep on the beach. A quick comparison is when you are crossing over deep ruts. Turn the wheel and the Subaru immediately climbs over the rut, Try the same move with a Wrangler, and the front wheels will plow sand for six feet before the front end engages and pulls you over. That is why every Wrangler you see going down the beach, starts fishtailing as soon as it gets over 10mph. It is also why every Wrangler beach driver has to put those humongous tires on them just to get them to go down the beach without digging a hole with the back wheels.
The other thing that makes a Subaru superior is that it uses far less gas on the beach. Traveling about 13mph in deep sand and my Outback is revving at 1000rpms. Both my Wrangler and my Cherokee were roaring at 3500rpms and guzzling gas at that speed. Then the tranny would overheat.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Yes, the Outbacks are not for rock climbing but far superior to a Wrangler or any jeep on the beach. A quick comparison is when you are crossing over deep ruts. Turn the wheel and the Subaru immediately climbs over the rut, Try the same move with a Wrangler, and the front wheels will plow sand for six feet before the front end engages and pulls you over. That is why every Wrangler you see going down the beach, starts fishtailing as soon as it gets over 10mph. It is also why every Wrangler beach driver has to put those humongous tires on them just to get them to go down the beach without digging a hole with the back wheels.
The other thing that makes a Subaru superior is that it uses far less gas on the beach. Traveling about 13mph in deep sand and my Outback is revving at 1000rpms. Both my Wrangler and my Cherokee were roaring at 3500rpms and guzzling gas at that speed. Then the tranny would overheat.
I have a friend who has a Ford Explorer and he no longer drives over sand due to the tranny over heating. I'm trying to decide what tire to switch to away from the Bridgestone and GEO and Cooper are on my list to check out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Outback at home on the beach

This is the South End of Carolina Beach in NC. I have been all over the Outer Banks and this particular beach is about as tough a deep sand as you will find. This is the beach that a Jeep Rep finally had to admit to me that their "Trail Rated" Trailhawk was not capable of traveling on this beach. They pretended to try to fix it for 5 months before telling me the truth yet they are still advertising the Cherokee as beach capable. On this beach, my 2015 Cherokee could go about 10-15 minutes before the alarms would chime and the back wheels would disengage every time.
I then traded the Jeep after 8 months of frustration and the Outback has carried me everywhere that I wanted to go. I have put over 17,000 miles on her in less than 10 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Depends on the sand. In the very soft sand found on the south shore eastern long island beaches I've seen quite capable 4WD trucks get stuck up to the axles needing the local towing recovery outfit to come and winch them out.

There are other beaches where a regular FWD sedan would not have much chance of getting stuck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been on the beach a few times. I've also done a lot of driving on sandy forest roads. X-Mode will help you modulate your speed under 15 mph. I find the Outback gets very jerky if you try to maintain a slow speed, but X-Mode puts it into a slightly lower gear than you would other wise find.

Here's me on Daytona Beach a few months ago. I have 245/65R17 Cooper AT3s on and have never messed with my tire pressures yet and I have yet to get stuck or have any issue with traction.

That sand is pretty packed and people have told me that they take 2wd vehicles out on Datona. I wouldn't try a soft powdery sand beach with fully inflated tires. In fact, it is highly inflated tires that produce the porpoising bumps in the ruts and that makes for a lot of bouncing.

·
Registered
2017 Sprinter 4x4
1,426 Posts

Here's me on Daytona Beach a few months ago. I have 245/65R17 Cooper AT3s on and have never messed with my tire pressures yet and I have yet to get stuck or have any issue with traction.in

in the area? Im in St augustine!

Ive been here two weeks, and have been on the beach more than i should have been so far. Outback does great. Even with the trailer in the deeper stuff as well

Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow guys, it looks like many of you have taken your OB's out to play in the sandbox. I'm stoked to hear they do so well!!

To the one person who questioned taking a new car on a saltwater beach... I totally get what you're saying! But rest assured, I will clean it thoroughly when I get done!! And I live in land locked Central Indiana, so my car will not be exposed to salt air or spray long term.

Thank you for all of the input folks! I'd live to see more pics!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts