Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2017 Outback Premium and am making my first post!

I left an interior light on by accident and it drained the battery. It started up with a jump start, but when driving away I heard a beeping coming from the back (same beep when trying to open the hatch when locked, but wasn't just 3 beeps). It just kept beeping without stopping every time the car would be in motion. I stopped the car, and the beeping stopped. Move the car, beeping came back. I tried opening the hatch and now it won't open.
Does anyone have an idea of what went wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is it possible the hatch is frozen closed? That happened to me recently and I had to go to the hatch from the outside and press the button and give it a little tug and it opened and the hatch quit beeping

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good thought, but I had just opened the hatch moments earlier when I noticed the dome light was on. I opened the hatch to turn it off and then closed the door. It was after this that the car wouldn't start.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,197 Posts
I had a similar beeping when my battery was very low but at the time I didn't try opening the hatch so I don't know if it would have opened or not. If you haven't charged the battery or driven the car for a long time after jump-starting it your battery might just not be charged enough which can cause all kinds of weird problems. Best bet would be to put a charger on it but if that isn't an option then a good long drive would probably do the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Liftgate Won't Open; Beeping Won't Stop!

Wow, the exact same thing happened to me this morning!! Fortunately the battery wasn't completely dead; it finally turned over and chugged to life. Same problem as yours---the beeping was incessant for about 90 seconds, then stopped, then started again as soon as I pulled away from a red light, etc. Of course it's connected to the liftgate somehow; however, I didn't leave any lights on, the liftgate was firmly closed (3 days ago, hasn't been opened since!) and now the liftgate won't open, period. Not manually, not with key fob, not with interior control. Now I'm heading outside every hour to start it up so the battery doesn't drain before my drive home. Any ideas? (Obviously taking it back to the dealer is the very last resort.) I have a 2017, have owned it for a year, and it's been problem-free until now. thanks so much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! This is my first post here so sorry if I’m not doing this right! I’m having the same problem and driving my car/letting it run in my driveway doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Wondering what solution you found? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, Keyless, Nav, Eyesight, Venetian Red
324 Posts
If you search this forum you will find many posts about batteries. Many owners have experienced dead battery. If you still have the original battery and it is more than 2 years old, replace it. Any good brand group 25 battery with at least 490 CCA will do the job. Also, ask your dealer about the TSB dealing with slow cranking after short trips. Have them install the new software per the TSB to provide improved battery charging. Last, if you suspect the battery is low due to leaving lights on etc, do not open the hatch. The hatch draws 10 amps while opening. This maybe the last 10 amps the battery has.

All of the above is by way of personal experience. The Outback is a great car. The OEM battery is junk. Subaru has made some changes in battery charging in the current model years, this can be installed in older cars, thus the TSB.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,499 Posts
Last, if you suspect the battery is low due to leaving lights on etc, do not open the hatch. The hatch draws 10 amps while opening. This maybe the last 10 amps the battery has.
Opening the hatch under normal conditions takes about 7 amps (I've measured) and only a few seconds. Even if it took 12 A and 12 seconds (1/300 of an hour) that's 12 A X (1/300) hour = 0.04 amp-hours of energy. It's closer to 6 A for 6 seconds = 0.01 Ah. Realistically, if it won't start after that, it wasn't going to start anyway.

All of the above is by way of personal experience. The Outback is a great car. The OEM battery is junk. Subaru has made some changes in battery charging in the current model years, this can be installed in older cars, thus the TSB.
I've had this done. I think it made some difference, but that's anecdotal. If you're still under the factory warranty (or a $0 deductible extended factory warranty) and you're at a dealer, have this TSB applied on their nickel!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Beeping is probably the rear hatch not showing as closed to the system. After a jump start from a dead battery has anyone tried simply opening and closing it to reset it? If its a power lift gate you may need to manually open it.

THe dead battery could have easily been from a failed close on the rear hatch..

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
manually open and close hatch, that will do. if I recall right, you still should be able to hod the button on the hatch itself (Birgit from the rear camera) until it opens.

also your passenger door window will need to be reset...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2017 Outback Premium and am making my first post!

I left an interior light on by accident and it drained the battery. It started up with a jump start, but when driving away I heard a beeping coming from the back (same beep when trying to open the hatch when locked, but wasn't just 3 beeps). It just kept beeping without stopping every time the car would be in motion. I stopped the car, and the beeping stopped. Move the car, beeping came back. I tried opening the hatch and now it won't open.
Does anyone have an idea of what went wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance
just experienced the same issue. Charged battery back up after jump start then disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes then reconnected the battery and everything is working fine now. Too bad the interior lights run the battery down. Every other vehicle I’ve had cuts off the lights if you forget and leave them on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to get this issue fixed on my 2017 Outback by disconnecting the red positive from the battery for about a minute and re-connecting it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Outback: Beeping while driving and can't open tailgate

My battery went dead because my mechanic left the car in Neutral so he could position it over the lift bars. He jumped it and all seemed good. The next time I tried to start it, it was again dead. I jumped it let it run a while and when I started driving in forward or reverse there was a beeping sound from the rear this time .I drove for a while and the beeping stopped but began again after I stopped at a traffic light. I tired to open the tailgate without success. I called the dealership and spoke to my salesman and he told me to press and hold the button until the tailgate fully opened. I did so (seemed about 5 seconds) and it opened. I pressed it again and it closed. Drove the car again and the beeping stopped and back to normal. I also believe that this issue caused a constant drain on the battery. Impressive salesman

I ended up replacing the 2-1/2 year old OEM battery as a precaution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the top hit on google for “Subaru outback trunk incessant beeping while driving”. A similar scenario where the battery was run down and jumped. The advice above of just “resetting” the rear latch worked. With a 2018 Outback the trunk opened after pressing the latch and holding for 10s. After that, manually raise the gate all the way open to the top, then manually close again. After that everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
Buick - 1986 Regal T-Type / 2013 Taurus Limited / 2015 Corvette Stingray / 2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
34 Posts
I had a similar issue. Tailgate was open overnight resulting in a dead battery. I jumped it to start it and the tailgate would not operate. I also had the annoying beeping. I disconnected the battery and held the disconnected positive and negative cables together for a few seconds. When I reconnected the battery, all was well.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Outback LTD
13 Posts
I had a similar issue. Tailgate was open overnight resulting in a dead battery. I jumped it to start it and the tailgate would not operate. I also had the annoying beeping. I disconnected the battery and held the disconnected positive and negative cables together for a few seconds. When I reconnected the battery, all was well.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Outback LTD
13 Posts
Well son of gun, it just happened to me too. 2018 2.5 Outback Limited. I was away and didn't use the car for a few weeks. When I got back battery was low and it would just click but not start. Radio, lights and windows worked. So I put it on a charger and after a few hours everything seemed OK.... until I tried to go somewhere tonight. Beeping from the rear as described and the tail gate wouldn't open. (I also saw a notification to check my antenna, but all the channels including satellite were functional.) So I did what everyone else did and Googled it.... And here I am. I read all the responses and followed Bolit and John Something's instructions. <--- THANKS GUYS !!! It worked like a charm.

Pressing the latch button and holding for 10s unlocks the tailgate. After that, manually raise the gate all the way open to the top, then manually close again. Press the latch button to make sure it opens and closes automatically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this happen the other day when I had disconnected the battery to install HID lights on my 2018. I had noticed some corrosion on the positive connection/terminal, but just sort of knocked it off. So when I got the beeping and hatch not opening, I pulled the positive off and took a wire brush to the connector...now all's is fine. Though that battery is certainly getting replaced shortly, even if only 2 years old!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to get this issue fixed on my 2017 Outback by disconnecting the red positive from the battery for about a minute and re-connecting it.
When I read this, I thought: "That's too dumb. Won't ever work." After another hour of failures, I tried it as a last resort, and IT WORKED!! The vehicle must think the tailgate is open, so it sounds the alarm. What I REALLY HATE is that there is the loud, long-lasting beeping, but it tells you only that something is wrong. There is no indicator to tell you where the problem is. That is stupid. The Outback is too much "love", but not enough smarts.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
71 Posts
I ran my battery down last night and met the beeping monster. I remembered seeing this thread and immediately kicked myself for not reading it. Anyway, I managed to fix my hatch by folding the seats down, crawling into the cargo bay, removing the cover for the latch mechanism, and pressing on one of the switches/relays. Something in the latch assembly actuated, so I crawled back out and sure enough, the hatch worked again. I don't think I would recommend this process, but it worked for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts