Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3.0R VDC Limited Wagon
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, for a few weeks i've heard a brief belt squeal when i start the car on cold mornings, it would go away shortly. then i noticed a slight squealy noise (but it's hard to describe) almost continually while driving (all in town).

this morning, the battery and brake lights came on after i'd driven a few minutes. i noticed the power steering was gone too, and windows were slow. there was a brief smell, something rubbery or burning, but it was brief.

i'm short of $ and need tires too, so i'm going to take it to a guy who does work at his house (he;s a student mechanic, and is a car nut). that may not be the best route, but if i can get any tips to help him fix it, i would be appreciative.

many thanks for your ideas.
marc
(2005 outback 3.0, 104k miles)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! should i have it towed to his house? the lack of power steering is annoying but i think i can do it.

i wasn't gonna have him do the tires, i don't think he's set up for that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice! i have AAA, so towing isn't a worry, just another thing to get organized.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks cardoc! IF it was the serp belt and nothing else, is that an easy-ish repair? are the belts expensive?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the guy i know who works out of his garage couldn't get to it for a couple of days (that's what happens, i guess with dudes working from home), wound up taking it to a shop. the belt turned out to be fine, but the tensioner fell off, or mostly so. he said there was a bolt left or something.

cost: $241. that sound fair? this morning (it was about 45 degrees) the belt squealed a second at start up, i may take it to the shop for them to do a cold start so they can see themselves.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it's interesting: the guy i spoke to on the phone said, in effect, "the tensioner broke off, we had to replace that. the belt was good and we re-used it." he's one of the owners, and a mechanic himself i think.

the invoice said: a/c compressor drive belt tensioner/idler - r,r, l.l. bean edition, r vdc limited h6. that was $152.20, plus $90 labor. they are good guys, have done a lot of work on our other family cars. i feel a little guilt in taking some of the cars to the work-from-home guy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have a desire to learn some basic car repair skills, but don't have much of a foundation of knowledge in it. some of the "easy" things people talk about here, when i read the description, i get totally lost. plus, no good place to work (no garage, driveway in on a slope), some scattered tools (never seems to be the right one). i need to take a class at tech or something, but never sign up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts