Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
It sounds like your serpentine belt has gone. Not sure about the 2005, but 2000 has a belt that goes from the shaft to the power steering pump, and alternator. If your belt is broken or failing due to glazing and it cannot get a grip on the pulleys it runs around, it would definitely cause your symptoms because the alternator would not be charging the battery and the power steering pump would not be pumping the PS fluid.

Have your friend replace the serpentine belt first. If you have two on your model, you might as well have him do the other one as well. Let us know if that fixes the problem. This is the cheapest fix. The next steps cost more but should not break the bank.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
cost: $241. that sound fair?
That sounds about right. Or you could do what I do sometimes as an amateur shade tree mechanic: Bust up your knuckles, go back to get the correct part, buy a new tool you are only going to use a few times, screw up the job after wasting a weekend, and then pay someone else a bit more than it would have costs for them to fix the problem you made worse instead of just letting them do their job in the first place. lol It rarely happens, but I have two other cars to drive while my Subie "heals."

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I do car repair as more of a hobby. I fixed my own cars when I was younger because I could not afford to pay someone else to do it. I kinda like doing it now, but wouldn't try to make a living at it. Now that I can afford it, I only pick the jobs that I feel comfortable about doing or the ones that present a challenge I feel like I can conquer. Otherwise, I use a guy named Buster who has run a garage with his brother and son for over 40 years and is very patient with me.

If you can afford to pay someone else to fix your car and you know a decent honest mechanic, count your blessings and don't worry about trying to do it yourself. There are plenty of less expensive and frustrating hobbies out there. lol

The folks here can still give us advice, based on years of experience, about what a mechanic might or should look for. Especially it he is not a Subaru guru like some of the guys here.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Brisket! Let me know when the planes are flying in your area again and I'll bring my metric sockets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts