Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
I do car repair as more of a hobby. I fixed my own cars when I was younger because I could not afford to pay someone else to do it. I kinda like doing it now, but wouldn't try to make a living at it. Now that I can afford it, I only pick the jobs that I feel comfortable about doing or the ones that present a challenge I feel like I can conquer. Otherwise, I use a guy named Buster who has run a garage with his brother and son for over 40 years and is very patient with me.

If you can afford to pay someone else to fix your car and you know a decent honest mechanic, count your blessings and don't worry about trying to do it yourself. There are plenty of less expensive and frustrating hobbies out there. lol

The folks here can still give us advice, based on years of experience, about what a mechanic might or should look for. Especially it he is not a Subaru guru like some of the guys here.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,775 Posts
i have a desire to learn some basic car repair skills, but don't have much of a foundation of knowledge in it. some of the "easy" things people talk about here, when i read the description, i get totally lost. plus, no good place to work (no garage, driveway in on a slope), some scattered tools (never seems to be the right one). i need to take a class at tech or something, but never sign up.
it can be miserable working outside with limited equipmey, I did that some when I was younger. But, it isn't too bad doing most basic maintenance (as opposed to actual repairs). There are youtube videos that are helpful as well as DIY sections in the forums. Also, if you ask around, you may find a neighbor, relative or co-worker willing to come over and walk you thru the first braake pad change or oil/filter change. Especially if some pulled pork sandwiches with slaw, and some beers is in the deal!

(down here, I have to use brisket for a bribe)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts