Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Outback has been having a squealing sound coupled with engine hesitation with AC on. I've been told by my mechanic this is normal and not to worry about it. However, it did it today three times with the AC off. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,562 Posts
My 2012 Outback has been having a squealing sound coupled with engine hesitation with AC on. I've been told by my mechanic this is normal and not to worry about it. However, it did it today three times with the AC off. Any suggestions? Thanks!
From your description, that belt is under a LOT of load if it is causing engine hesatation and slipping. Consider that something the belt it driving may be overloading the belt. (Power-Steering, Alternator, AC compressor....etc)

How do you KNOW the AC was 'off' ? The AC compressor is engaged in most of the settings of the climate-control system.

In any case, your 2012 has a serpentine belt. (A single belt that drives ALL the accessories) If your battery is low, the headlights or the AC compressor is on, Steering-wheel is being turned....etc that belt is under a lot of stress and it does not take much for it to slip.

Lets be clear, a slipping belt is NOT a big problem. If it were my vehicle, I would remove the belt, degrease all the pullies and belt and try it again.
(I often wash drivebelts in hot-soapy water with dish-soap)

Also - you should keep an open mind and consider the noise is NOT a slipping belt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts