Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I bought a battery through Amazon and the positive terminal post is bent (slightly), should it be safe to use still? I do not see any leaks. I cannot return it because it has "hazardous materials".

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
17 Posts
I'd contact Amazon via phone and ask them to replace at their expense it due to damage. You don't know what the internals look like.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,555 Posts
did you get your money back ?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,555 Posts
got pics ?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,555 Posts

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
Yes, contact Odyssey directly.

The left post looks as if it's been pulled over (battery carrying strap?), or hit. The other post also appears to be leaning, although less (could be camera effect). The left post lean could interfere with attaching the battery cable clamp properly, as well as there could be damage inside (mentioned earlier).

·
Registered
10 Posts
They will only do 55% refund.

They will only do 55% refund.
Is Amazon the seller? No way in **** you should accept that. The battery probably has internal damage. I would escalate with support and contact Odyssey too.

Also AGM are non spillable and the only car batteries allowed to be shipped. I would push back on them saying you're not allowed to ship it back.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,411 Posts
@brucep @plain OM any suggestions ?
This is a tough situation and a great reason to "buy local" when you can.

I would think if this is 'shipping damage' I would not expect the Odyssey folks to cover it.
On the other hand, if this is a mfg. issue, then Odyssey would be on the hook.
The other option would be to put into service and hope there is no leakage around that terminal. (no internal damage)

I realize I have not offered any 'suggestions'....I just stated the obvious 😁

·
Registered
492 Posts
They shipped it, so they can pick it up. I wouldn't use it. It had to be hit pretty hard to do that and was most likely dropped.
No way I'd accept 55% refund, none of this was your fault. Dispute the charge with your CC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow reading up on this it actually does seem like Amazon does not accept returns mailed back for AGM batteries. That's insane, they constantly ship stuff with inadequate packaging, escalate the support ticket and ask for a supervisor. No way you should be on the hook for this.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,428 Posts
Stuff like that is why I like to buy batteries locally and from a place that has convenient locations across the country in case I later run into a warranty issue.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
598 Posts
Call Odyssey and see what they have to say.
Worst case call back Amazon and tell them you want 100% refund. It's on them but you, if they won't take a return

Too late now, but always buy batteries local.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,028 Posts
For what it's worth, last time I bought a battery from RockAuto. Didn't need to return it, but never had a problem returning other parts.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
310 Posts
LOVE my Odyssey AGM batteries, I currently have 3 of them now. No problems. I recondition them @ twice a year with my NOCO.

All 3 of mine were shipped to me, but I bought direct from Odyssey's website (EnerSys?) and not Amazon. Either way, they were shipped (UPS or FedEx), and when I received them they were all packaged VERY well from the factory, and none had any damage.

To me, they are worth the $300 and the effort, but I'm sorry this didn't work out for you the first time. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I bought a Yuasa GYZ32HL for my Subaru generator from AMZN (seller) and noted damage, AMZN of course said that they could not take it back. However, they offered a full refund or a replacement. I accepted the replacement and the second battery was fine. They asked me to dispose of the battery or use it as I wished.

So, if AMZN is the seller, they will make it right for you. If you decide to keep the battery, then they will offer you a goodwill adjustment. In this case, the battery has suffered a hit and has been damaged and I recommend not using it. Question - Has AMZN (if they are the seller) offered you options to replace at no cost or a goodwill adjustment, if you decide to keep it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts