Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,457 Posts
Right, I'd expect if Amazon was in fact the seller (or even "fulfiller"), you should have no problems. Dealing directly with third party sellers, while I've done it plenty of times, can be risky on Amazon.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,309 Posts
Who was the carrier? FedEx, UPS? USPS (ow)? File a claim.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,953 Posts
There doesn't have to be all this drama over who is responsible - Odyssey, who may have manufactured it that way, Amazon, who sold it, or the shipper, who may have damaged it. That's an issue for the three of them to sort out among themselves once they have made the OP whole.

I'd escalate it up to the proper level at Amazon, since they were the retailer, and let them deal with this worry. And don't toss the shipping package or install it to see if it works - all you'll do is give them further excuse to weasel out of their responsibility.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
125 Posts
I bought the exact same battery through Amazon. The Odyssey battery I received had two different stickers on it. The one on the side showed the proper information for the battery I purchased. But, the sticker on the top was for a different model battery. Plus, it was marked up and the poles were obviously clamped, like it had already been used in a car and removed.

I called Odyssey and they had me send pictures of it with the invoice from Amazon. They then told me that I should bring it to a Odyssey retailer and have it exchanged. The closest place that would would honor the warranty was about 100 miles away. So, I went through Amazon and requested an Amazon return. They sent me a prepaid slip for UPS and the battery was returned. The battery weighed 50lbs and I dropped it on the counter at UPS with a very large thud. The tiny girl behind the counter couldn't lift it. I received 100% of the cost plus tax back from Amazon. No issue with obtaining the return, but I am a Prime member.

Hate to see what the round trip shipping charges were on that one.

Also, as I was talking to the Odyssey technician, he mentioned that the way Subaru's newer charging system works by not charging when you're accelerating or spending a long time at continuous speed would void the warranty on any Odyssey battery because it leaves the battery in a continuous under charged state. Subaru has since come out with a TSB to correct the charging circuit to make it more like a regular charging system.

I did notice from the pictures you included that the corners of the plastic cover under the connectors on your Odyssey battery are also pulled up. That does look like it was mishandled with one of those handles that attach to the connectors in order to lift it easily in and out of the car.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,542 Posts
... So, I went through Amazon and requested an Amazon return. They sent me a prepaid slip for UPS and the battery was returned. The battery weighed 50lbs and I dropped it on the counter at UPS with a very large thud. The tiny girl behind the counter couldn't lift it.
These are indeed heavy batteries! The Group 25 PCI 1400 Extreme (which I don't see on the list any more) also weighs 50 pounds. Even the burly guy behind the counter at the parts store commented "man, this is a really heavy battery!"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And, someone did drop the box/battery on the terminal side, the inside of the box has two indents that are right above the terminals. I did contact Odyssey Battery through email but they are quiet, at least I got a full refund...

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Those battery plus places will take old batteries. Here in my county there is a multi material recycling center run by the county/state and they take car batteries in the hazardous materials drop off.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,953 Posts
I did notice from the pictures you included that the corners of the plastic cover under the connectors on your Odyssey battery are also pulled up. That does look like it was mishandled with one of those handles that attach to the connectors in order to lift it easily in and out of the car.
Good eye!

And, someone did drop the box/battery on the terminal side, the inside of the box has two indents that are right above the terminals.
Now we're getting to the bottom of cause here - although this really doesn't concern you directly.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
310 Posts
Does reconditioning mean charging to full?
I stand corrected, I actually have the Schauer Charge Master CM6A. It has a setting for AGM batteries (Odyssey), and I know that it "reconditons" and "fights sulfation", and to answer your question it does charge to full.

I am certain that someone on this site recommended it, and that is why I purchased it. The Schauer CM6A retails for around $70. I have had it for over 2 years now, and use it on all my car batteries, ATV, and lawn mower. No problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stand corrected, I actually have the Schauer Charge Master CM6A. It has a setting for AGM batteries (Odyssey), and I know that it "reconditons" and "fights sulfation", and to answer your question it does charge to full.

I am certain that someone on this site recommended it, and that is why I purchased it. The Schauer CM6A retails for around $70. I have had it for over 2 years now, and use it on all my car batteries, ATV, and lawn mower. No problems.
I've got a Genius 10 and the "repair" mode on it does de-sulfication (or whatever it's called), but my reading of the manual and research on the unit make it sound like that's only for flooded batteries, not to be used on AGM.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
310 Posts
I've got a Genius 10 and the "repair" mode on it does de-sulfication (or whatever it's called), but my reading of the manual and research on the unit make it sound like that's only for flooded batteries, not to be used on AGM.
You might be right. When I do mine, it goes through the modes of "Bulk", "Absorption", and "Full". That's when mine is on the "AGM & Wet" setting. So apparently the Schauer goes through the same cycle for an AGM as it does a Wet. I assumed it desulfates the battery, but I'm obviously not very sure. All I know is that someone on this site recommended it, and that was good 'nuff for me :)

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
55 Posts
call your credi card provider and decline the payment. Tell them you received the item in damaged condition and Amazon is not providing a 100% credit nor exchange.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd eyesight
141 Posts
Amazon did a full refund. There's no local stores that has this particular battery in stock, where should I buy it? What should I do with this battery? 😳
I would take it back to any auto parts store that sells batteries. I'm pretty sure they are required to take them for recycling. Last time I did that at AutoZone, they actually gave me a credit for a core charge that I had never paid, since it was a UPS battery.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
114 Posts
I would take it back to any auto parts store that sells batteries. I'm pretty sure they are required to take them for recycling. Last time I did that at AutoZone, they actually gave me a credit for a core charge that I had never paid, since it was a UPS battery.
That all depends on state laws regarding recyclable products. Some states are required to charge a core charge, and refund it if you take the old battery back with 30 days. Others aren't required to charge for the core, so they won't give you anything back, but will take it off your hands. If all else fails, your local Walmart will take it from you...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts