Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short...dealership believes I have a bent hub. As shown in the attached photo, the rotor is obviously grinding against the caliper on the outer 1/4" or so of the rotor. Hub w/bearing is under $100, so I don't mind replacing it. I do mind replacing it if I'm chasing ghosts and a "bent hub" is just a guess. Anyone experience this issue, or confirm a bent hub could be the culprit of my gouged rotor? If it's a bent hub, I suspect it would take quite a hit to a curb or other object to cause such damage. Not that they would admit it, but wife and daughter (the only two who have driven the car) don't remember hitting anything with any force.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,451 Posts
I would suspect play in the bearing or the axle nut not being tight before a bent hub. If you jackup the wheel is there any play.

The hub is not that expensive so I would probably get it replaced along with the bearing.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,666 Posts
Bending a hub is damned near impossible without major wheel damage. IF the hub actually were bent, the rubbing on the caliper would be intermittent - once per revolution, not constant.

As Glenda said, check for a worn bearing by jacking it up and wiggling the wheel. Also check the the entire hub assemble has not come loose somehow and moved ( highly unlikely), and the same thing with the caliper.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
If the caliper bracket were installed wrong (bound up bolt, debris between bracket and spindle) the bracket could be in the wrong position.
It could be a bent spindle (housing bearing fits into) but I can't picture enough force to do that without other much more dramatic damage.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
not sure if "bent" is the right term in this case.

possibly "warped" due to heating like from a awful bearing or brake disc / caliper.

___

my brother hit a pothole with a nissan a couple years back, drove it around a bit, bearing was so bad and it was like driving with a stuck brake, by the time I got it into a proper shop the plastic encased ABS sensor had baked.

(I did not have a pistol thermometer at the time,).

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed with a new hub and bearing. Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts