Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have my boneyard trans, they pulled the torque converter and so I looked at how to put it back in.

It looks like you slide the tube that drives the pump all the way off and out, then insert that into the torque converter, get the snap ring settled into place, then slide the whole kit-n-kaboodle into the trans.

Looks like they munged the snap-ring, though, is that common or indicative of a heavy-handed disassembly?

Should I get a new ring or straighten it?

Is the snap ring really required?

I don't want to get this thing in and then find out they broke the pump- any way to feel for it being 'right' after getting the TC back in?

Pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
You could bend if back if you want. Since there has been so much munging around, I would recommend replacing the shaft oil seal. While you are at the dealer you may as well get a new ring.

When they took the trans out did they remove the front diff output shafts? If so, I would very carefully inspect those seals as well.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
Also, when you put it back together you need to get the pump shaft to align with the tabs in the trans. When this happens the torque converter will seat correctly and be virtually flush with the bell housing.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front and rear output shafts I'm less worried about, I can replace those with the trans in!

But, I'm getting the TC and rear driveshaft seals and a new clip, as well as the internal and external filters.

I have read up on the seating do's and dont's, and before install I'll be comparing against the one coming out.

It seems like the snap ring doesn't do much.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
I believe it only exists to aid in installing and removing of the torque converter and the pump shaft.

I just put in a used transmission and the person who sold it to me removed the front shafts. When they did this they damaged the shaft seals. Besides leaking being an issue if I had not replaced them the one seal was so badly damaged that the seal spring was coming out of the seal and could have easily fallen into the diff.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't look too closely at the front output shaft seals, but didn't see any damage that popped out at me either.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know, I used the least damaged ring from the 2 transmissions and bent it back into shape. Don't recall if someone posting has left it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts