Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 subaru OBS limited 189k just replaced head gaskets timing belt water pump good to go for another 100k
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i have a 2000 subaru outback sedan limited, and i am looking into getting some aftermarket struts along with king springs, any suggestions for the best bang for your buck struts that will also work with king springs? i was looking on get-primative.org or .com not sure which i think they were saying KYB struts, am not sure which model.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I believe, for struts, you are severely limited. KYB is the only aftermarket strut I could find for our '05 OBW.

I suppose you may be able to get Koni Fully-Adjustable struts, I didn't check into that option when I replaced all four struts two months ago, as I didn't have the extra money they would have obviously cost me.

With that being said, I have found that the KYB Excel-G Struts I got seem to be more rigid a ride than the OEM ones ever were, even when we bought the car brand-new in 2005!

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2000 subaru OBS limited 189k just replaced head gaskets timing belt water pump good to go for another 100k
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe, for struts, you are severely limited. KYB is the only aftermarket strut I could find for our '05 OBW.

I suppose you may be able to get Koni Fully-Adjustable struts, I didn't check into that option when I replaced all four struts two months ago, as I didn't have the extra money they would have obviously cost me.

With that being said, I have found that the KYB Excel-G Struts I got seem to be more rigid a ride than the OEM ones ever were, even when we bought the car brand-new in 2005!

I hope this helps you.
yeah i think those same kyb's were the ones that were suggested to me, and would work well with king springs. more ridged you say? so you mean a bit better cornering/handling but a bit less comfy ride? i think i can take that trade off :29:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just drove her car yesterday on a smooth, but dirt, road. I noticed that the car feels the bumps more, however, compared to before with everything worn-out at 122,000 miles, it is now extremely tight, no suspension noises at all. Yes, you do feel the bumps a bit more, but it handles better IMO, so the trade-off is really worth it.

I did own Koni Fully Adjustable shocks on two cars, one in the 70's and one in the 90's and I must say, if you have the extra money and if Koni has some struts or even the inner-cartridges they build to go into an old set of strut housings after removing the innards, you will really like the Konis! You could literally dial them in so they would take bumps perfectly. I had them a bit on the stiff side so the car would become airborne on large dips at higher speeds.

If I had the money, I would have put Konis in, if they make them for our 2005 Outback, that is.

I would say, with the new KYB's, yes, the car handles better, especially on rough washboard surfaces around turns.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just drove her car yesterday on a smooth, but dirt, road. I noticed that the car feels the bumps more, however, compared to before with everything worn-out at 122,000 miles, it is now extremely tight, no suspension noises at all. Yes, you do feel the bumps a bit more, but it handles better IMO, so the trade-off is really worth it.

I did own Koni Fully Adjustable shocks on two cars, one in the 70's and one in the 90's and I must say, if you have the extra money and if Koni has some struts or even the inner-cartridges they build to go into an old set of strut housings after removing the innards, you will really like the Konis! You could literally dial them in so they would take bumps perfectly. I had them a bit on the stiff side so the car would become airborne on large dips at higher speeds.

If I had the money, I would have put Konis in, if they make them for our 2005 Outback, that is.

I would say, with the new KYB's, yes, the car handles better, especially on rough washboard surfaces around turns.
i didnt see any koni's but i saw tein's for subaru were like racing ones that literally were both arms and both legs :gasp: and im not looking to go full out crazy but i wouldnt mind a little better handling, but then again who wouldnt?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Then, you should be happy with the KYB's, they are better than the OEM, noticeably-better!

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
on my previous '02 impreza and '07 outback i've found the kyb struts to be a marked improvement over stock and reasonably priced.

handling was considerably improved, ride was stiffened a bit.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
Actually, KYB are the manufacturers of the OEM struts/shocks. I just don't know which model KYB's

·
Registered
514 Posts
Actually, KYB are the manufacturers of the OEM struts/shocks. I just don't know which model KYB's
Yes, now I recall, upon removing the original struts, they all had Subaru stamped on them, but they also had stamped KYB. As you stated, which KYB's they make for Subaru, only Subaru and KYB know for sure.

I can definitely say the KYB Excel-G's are a stiffer strut than what came in the car when it was brand-new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts