Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post, and Outback owner for roughly 26 hours. I switched from a Honda Odyssey to the Outback and looking for suggestions on best Cargo box. I'm looking for best fit combined with ease of installation as I will be taking it on and off most weekends. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,993 Posts
Thule and Yakima seem to head the pack.

What's your research showing you? I run the Yakima Showcase 15 and love it but then again, my needs might not be yours. You're really asking, without giving us much to go on, what's the best flavor of Jelly Belly.

BTW, it's the Licorice mixed with the Coconut.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have Thule Motion XT XL in Titan Gray, which matched my 2014 SAP.

After few camping trips on a Sienna, last weekend manage to pack the essentials for family camping (2 adults 2 kids) using cargo box with my Outback.

If you can, wait for REI 20% discount, really good deal, and has 1 year warranty

My previous Thule Sonic XL had some mounting issue, after few months, REI had me Switch for Motion XT XL applied same 20% discount

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
526 Posts
Ditto the REI sales, that's seemingly the only time you can get a discount on Yak and Thule.

Another option would be to check Craigslist. Lot's of folks buy these things for one-off trips then never use them again. Sometimes a good deal to be had. Just make sure you get the keys, or at least one functional key.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i with eyesight & nav.
63 Posts
Love our Yakima, bought the biggest one REI had with the member 20% off discount. We have used it quite a bit on our Crosstrek for quick weekend beach trips and for long trips over a week. Looking forward to using it on our new Outback.

Pros: can hold 4 regular sized suitcases, plus beach umbrella, a couple boogie boards and some little stuff. It Locks. Can be opened on either side, if you get it adjusted right the first time, you don't ever have to move the feet for subsequent trips, we were able to open the rear cargo door without problems, it has been thru heavy storms, etc. I don't notice it affecting the car when we pass big trucks. Most of the time I forget it's up there.

Cons: takes up quite a bit of space in the garage. It takes 2 of us to put it on only because it's so big and we don't want to ding up the car. You might be able to handle a smaller box ok by yourself. We have the giant family size box.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Love our Yakima, bought the biggest one REI had with the member 20% off discount. We have used it quite a bit on our Crosstrek for quick weekend beach trips and for long trips over a week. Looking forward to using it on our new Outback.

Pros: can hold 4 regular sized suitcases, plus beach umbrella, a couple boogie boards and some little stuff. It Locks. Can be opened on either side, if you get it adjusted right the first time, you don't ever have to move the feet for subsequent trips, we were able to open the rear cargo door without problems, it has been thru heavy storms, etc. I don't notice it affecting the car when we pass big trucks. Most of the time I forget it's up there.

Cons: takes up quite a bit of space in the garage. It takes 2 of us to put it on only because it's so big and we don't want to ding up the car. You might be able to handle a smaller box ok by yourself. We have the giant family size box.
That's a good looking cargo carrier.

Question, cuz im a noob....are you able to just use the regular factory roof bars and attached to box to it with whatever clips the carrier comes with?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's a good looking cargo carrier.

Question, cuz im a noob....are you able to just use the regular factory roof bars and attached to box to it with whatever clips the carrier comes with?
I bought the aero crossbars from my Subaru dealer and had them install. The feet are adjustable so you can get the box situated where you want it. Once you find that spot you can lock them in that spot. in the future it's simply flipping the pressure clamp on each foot to release/lock onto the car.

The first time will take longer to get the feet positioned where you want, but after that it's quick to clamp down.

Tip: don't completely loosen the foot assembly, a little brass peg falls out and then you have to position it "just right" to get to all fit back together again. Especially don't do it in REI parking lot because that little pin will roll under the cars parked next to yours :wink2:

·
Registered
2021 Outback 2.5i Premium
514 Posts
I have the Yakima Skybox 16 mounted to the factory rails on my 2013 Outback, and you don't even know it's up there, after I plugged the open rail hole on the right front that was making a droning noise when the car was in motion. The flute effect I call it.

Clears the rear hatch easily, holds lots of stuff, opens from either side, no discernible wind noise at all, and I can remove and mount it by myself in a matter of minutes. When off the car I store it across a couple of sawhorses, but it's so handy it spends most of its time on the car. I carry around a couple of camp chairs and tables in it all the time, plus a few other odds and ends to free up space in my cargo compartment.

Can't say it's the best as it's the only one I've ever had, but it's great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just an FYI , REI is having 20% off sale for Labor Day weekend, starts Aug 25. . Best time to pick up a Yakima or Thule box

·
Registered
63 Posts

I just looked up the order, it's a Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Premium
3 Posts
Any commentary on the size and weight difference, pros/cons, weather characteristics between these two boxes? I know I can just run a search in Google, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with both.... Looking to pick one up soon with the REI Labor Day sale and will be mounting it on the standard bars on my 2017 Outback Premium.

Thanks,

- Steven

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
526 Posts
I've used a Thule Ascent 1100 for about 15 years, it's seemingly indestructible despite having been stuffed with camping gear. It holds 11 cu. ft. of stuff. It's also light enough that I can mount it by myself.

I like the long and narrow design as it allows me to use a bike mount when it's installed on my (no longer used) Thule 50" bars or my new Yakima 50" Core Bars.

I've never had water get inside in pouring rain at 75mph interstate driving.

Installs pretty quick with clamps that work on the Subaru crossbars or the Yak CoreBar system.

In truth I think any Yak or Thule box you get that'll meet your size needs will be a good choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to second the Yakima Skybox 16. It fits the car like a glove, is hardly noticeable while driving, and holds a good amount of gear without being obnoxiously large. Only downside is that the matte finish tends to weather over time, though I'll likely look into coating it with something sooner or later.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
I have had both thule and yakima. I think the thule is better. The clamps are better. The whole box is lighter and easier to handle with one person. The locks are less likely to get jammed with bags or fabric.

I am goinng to be up sizing again

with 3 kids I wanted the most volume with out having a supper long box. Yakima gets its volume from being super long. I looked at other brands like sears but didnt see anything that looked like the quality of Thule or Yakima. I have decided on the Thule XL size. when I was in the rei I could fit boxes in that at 17 CF that did not fit in the Yakima at 18 cf. The Thule motion xt XL looks BY FAR the best on the outback. there is a you tube video. But with the searching on the google yielded new Thule force XL for about half the price new.

Mazda sells the THule Force XL as a 3rd party accessories. I was able to find it for $403 from mazda dealers with free shipping.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
I have the Inno Wedge 624. I love it, hardly any wind noise, matches the car lines well. I can go get pics if you would like to see it. Just let me know.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
46 Posts
I have the Inno Wedge 624. I love it, hardly any wind noise, matches the car lines well. I can go get pics if you would like to see it. Just let me know.
Jake - Could you post up some pics of your Inno roof box? I'm thinking about getting a white Wedge 664 for my white outback. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
Jake - Could you post up some pics of your Inno roof box? I'm thinking about getting a white Wedge 664 for my white outback. Thanks in advance!
Here you go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts