Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW LL Bean
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a recently new H6 Outback owner. Is clean with only 144k. I'm actually happy with it already but its hard not to want to tweak a car thats new to me. What are the best low buck, no buck tweaks for these?

Something I do on all my cars to help the a/c work better in the crazy heat is insulate a/c suction line, the cold one to reduce the mount of heat gain from the engine bay. Also insulate the accumulator for the same.

My cars window had a slight tint but barely noticeable. I tinted the rear side windows further with temporary window cling style window tint. Sticks good with no adhesive, it peels off if you change your mind. I can roll the windows down without issue. Main reason was to keep the sun off the kids and it also really improved the a/c too. The tint was scraps leftover from a home project, so free to me, but only cost $15 for a big roll at lowes.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6
431 Posts
I'm a recently new H6 Outback owner. Is clean with only 144k. I'm actually happy with it already but its hard not to want to tweak a car thats new to me. What are the best low buck, no buck tweaks for these?

Something I do on all my cars to help the a/c work better in the crazy heat is insulate a/c suction line, the cold one to reduce the mount of heat gain from the engine bay. Also insulate the accumulator for the same.

My cars window had a slight tint but barely noticeable. I tinted the rear side windows further with temporary window cling style window tint. Sticks good with no adhesive, it peels off if you change your mind. I can roll the windows down without issue. Main reason was to keep the sun off the kids and it also really improved the a/c too. The tint was scraps leftover from a home project, so free to me, but only cost $15 for a big roll at lowes.
Interested in this a/c insulation. Pics? I'd say easiest mod is an LED upgrade for the interior lights/dash. Really makes the car feel "newer" to me, anyway.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,837 Posts
Get the foam pipe insulation from Lowes or Home Depot and just wrap your AC lines using small zip ties. Cheap.

Since you are in Austin GTOJohn, come by my shop and I will check everything for you for free and you can get some ideas for simple things as well as general maintenance. And while you are there, you can check out my VDC Supercharge build. Kwik Kar Lube & Tune, Pflugerville. Just ask for the Doctor.

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW LL Bean
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They sell a few different kinds of pipe insulation, the black closed cell lasts longer. they sell some with adhesive strips built in, no need for zip ties. Size should be 1/2" id with 1/2" wall.

Cardoc, I was reading through your build last night, amazing, all I could think was there's no way I'd try to pull that off! I've driven a few blown cars, and the amount of power you can make is unbelievable. I'd sure like to take you up on your offer. I'm an a/c contractor, things should slow down for me real soon and i'll be able to catch up on my projects.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Interested in this a/c insulation. Pics? I'd say easiest mod is an LED upgrade for the interior lights/dash. Really makes the car feel "newer" to me, anyway.
I'm also very interested! It's hit the time of year when A/C isn't really necessary again until May or June, but in the summer I'd definitely consider it if there would be a noticeable improvement. The H6 puts out a lot of heat under the hood...don't know much about A/C but I can't imagine it helps the system at all.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 5MT
425 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do people really have issues with the cooling capacities of these Subarus? I live in Florida and honestly can't say I've ever been in a car with better A/C than mine (and my brother's, who has the same car).

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6
431 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do people really have issues with the cooling capacities of these Subarus? I live in Florida and honestly can't say I've ever been in a car with better A/C than mine (and my brother's, who has the same car).
I've got an LGT which runs pretty hot under the hood. My AC isn't great, even having recharged this summer. I live in MN, so it gets used less. Number of things could be why, but it'd be sure nice if this made a noticeable difference

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW LL Bean
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was stuck creeping in traffic, especially in 100f temps the a/c wasn't keeping up. A lot of that is the greenhouse effect of driving a car with lots of glass like a station wagon. Tinting the windows makes a huge difference, so does insulating the cold a/c line. If the accumulator isn't insulated you can either put a beer kozy around it or find an accumulator cover at a junk yard, I know new gm cars have them.

Another way to help the a/c in traffic is add an electric fan on your condensing coil, the a/c coil next to your radiator. Even a big 13-18vdc computer fan should be able to help bring down your vent temp. An aftermarket transcooler fan, even better, maybe overkill.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,837 Posts
Here, in Texas, especially up/down the I35 corridor, the summer temps exceed 100F and the humidity is always high due to the gulfstream winds. The wrap helps reduce the amount of heat the freon absorbs prior to entering the evaporator.

We use AC 12 months of the year, with exception of a couple days maybe in Feb. I did at least 3 AC services a week from Dec through Feb this last winter season.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,313 Posts
I did. car had moderate amount of gear, 3 adults. Extremely hot outside (114degs F in Arizona/Nevada) highway speeds. Going up a grade, I could watch the temp gauge drift up, going down or slowing down and it would go back to normal.

I'm not the only person. Dunno about the H4s - we have an 03 H6. Supposedly the EZ30R has a different cooling circuit arrangment than the EZ30D.

oops

oh, the a/c, yeah, I think it's pretty good actually. Ours is not tinted and that would be even better but, it also doesn't sit outside much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any more update ideas? I would really like to do a headlight upgrade by either replacing the entire assembly, or installing really good bulbs. I drive in WY, mostly on dark 2 lane highways, and would like to be able to see deer/antelope ahead fo time as much as possible, to avoid collision.
Basically looking for good lighting soltions.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,268 Posts

·
Registered
2001 H6 OBW LL Bean
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bulb upgrade, cheap and easy, more light same wattage
How to Modify HIR bulb bases
found here, read lots of posts.
Brush up on color temp if color of your lighting is important to you.
5400k is close to daylight, bluish
3200k is tungstung, yellowish
and 2700k is what we call cool white like regular soft white frosted light bulb.
Similiar bulb swap can be done for fog lights. I think they're h3. I like the yellow gel overlay for fogs, helps add more contrast to the road surface the fogs are aimed at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts