Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my new Outback in the next few days. I'm going to clay it and put on a good quality paste wax. Looking for recommendations on both clay and wax. Does anyone have experience with pinnacle ultra poly clay?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Acura RDX, 2018 Audi TT RS
10 Posts
Picking up my new Outback in the next few days. I'm going to clay it and put on a good quality paste wax. Looking for recommendations on both clay and wax. Does anyone have experience with pinnacle ultra poly clay?

Asking this is like asking what is the best religion. :grin2:

20 people may give you 20 different answers.

I use Griot's products purchased from AutoGeek.net. They are always running specials. The Pinnacle and McKees stuff is good too.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Base
12 Posts
I've always been partial to Meguiars car products. May be just with limited availabilty of variety up here in AK. It should always come down to the clayer not the clay itself. :-D

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,277 Posts
I dislike the word "best" because each person has a different expectation from a product.

Some people want SHINE... others want LONG LASTING.
Personally, I prefer PROTECTION which prevents dirt from even sticking to the surface so the rain can keep the vehicle clean.

Clay is clay is clay... it is just a natural product of the earth. The secret is HOW IT IS USED.

As for wax.... Perhaps the best on the planet is ZYMOL ( https://www.zymol.com/ ) but again, the secret is HOW THE SURFACE IS PREPPED and HOW IT IS APPLIED.

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
268 Posts
Clay bar and then put on this

https://www.autogeek.net/car-paint-glass-and-trim-coatings.html

I highly recommend this before anythng else. Its a bit pricy buy my and my wife's OB have never been waxed and after two years water still beads and they still shine like new. if you happen to get it on the black trim it doesn't turn it white, in fact they tell you to coat you trim also.

Same thing the dealers sell for hundreds less

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
I dislike the word "best" because each person has a different expectation from a product.

Personally, I prefer PROTECTION which prevents dirt from even sticking to the surface so the rain can keep the vehicle clean.

Clay is clay is clay... it is just a natural product of the earth. The secret is HOW IT IS USED.

As for wax.... Perhaps the best on the planet is ZYMOL ( https://www.zymol.com/ ) but again, the secret is HOW THE SURFACE IS PREPPED and HOW IT IS APPLIED.
Bruce is absolutely right. Everyone has their own metrics to which they measure what the best wax is. For the money, Collinite 845 is one of the best waxes out there. Some may prefer other waxes more, but I've never heard anyone say they don't like 845. Some people prefer Collinite 476S. It has just as beautiful a shine as 845, but it lasts longer. However, there is a price for that. It's harder to apply. Both are available on Amazon.

Collinite Automotive Wax Choice of the Pros » Collinite
http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/docs/AutoProductSelectorGuide.pdf

I also agree with Bruce regarding clay. Just buy one. They all do the same thing.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Clay is clay. Get whatever kit is on sale.

My current bang for the buck go to wax is Meguiars Ultimate.

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts

I disagree with your statement about detailing clay. There are different grades of detailing clay as well as levels of aggressiveness. If you happen to use an aggressive detailing clay you will instill marring in the paint so will need to polish (preferably machine polishing) before applying your choice of wax or sealant. Many professional detailers now use paint prep towels or mitts. For the cost of a quality bar of detailing clay, you can get the Eagle One Paint Prep Mitt at most auto supply stores. The mitt is much faster and should you drop it, just a simple rinse under running water and you are good to go again. Drop your detailing clay on the garage floor, you must toss it out.

You can get much useful information here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/ However, you will not get an answer to your initial question, only opinions.

·
Registered
Looking into purchasing a 3rd gen Outback.
41 Posts
To me it depends on the amount of time you have available to spend on keeping a good protective finish on your vehicle. Also the color of car comes into play as we all know dark cars are more likely to show swirl marks and imperfections than a white car. I have two black cars that take a lot of maintenance.

Since I am usually short on time, I've found the quick spray waxes from Meguiars and Eagle one provide 5 to 7 weeks of protection. That keeps the paint sealed up so oxidation doesn't start. It makes it easier to perform a full clay and wax job. I call these "in between" a full job maintenance waxes.

For one of my cars that uses a lot of plastic trim, I can spray on Meguiars ultimate quick wax directly on the trim to put a seal on it before I use any type of paste or liquid wax. The wax doesn't stick to the trim and it makes buffing easier. So it works like a trim dressing.

Here's a picture of some rubber window trim after wiping it down and rubbing it with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Car Wax.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
Take a looooong hard look at Meguiar's Ultimate LIQUID Wax. Note I say liquid NOT paste.

It won't leave the ugly white residue in/on the tiny edges AND it is totally fine on all the plastic cladding that is on Subaru's.
Just remember when using this and most 'final products' is a small goes a long ways. Ya don't need to slather stuff and then spend a ton of time just removing it.

Bill

Reactions: Tail11

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tips. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax was delivered yesterday. Clay coming this week. Going to practice with the clay on the old car 1st. It needs to be done anyway. I like the idea of that wax not graying the black trim. ?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax was delivered yesterday. Clay coming this week. Going to practice with the clay on the old car 1st. It needs to be done anyway. I like the idea of that wax not graying the black trim. ?

Another vote for Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax! No worries about it rubbing onto the plastic parts! I still keep a wet rag handy to wipe it off if it does brush up against any plastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts