Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what folks here think? I have zero experience with driver assistance technology. I’m talking about emergency braking, lane keep assist, cross traffic, etc....

thanks.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,414 Posts
"Best" is a tough thing to label a technology like this because it would mean different things to different people. For me the best driver assist features would be the ones almost completely unnoticeable until there is an actual emergency need for them to activate. Others might want the assist features to have a lot of input in normal driving. Other than that, I haven't spent enough time behind the wheel of many other brands with driver assist to be able to pick one over the other. Overall I tend to like most of the stuff on my '17 Outback, though it is very rare for me to use the LKA option, as I find it too intrusive.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Best" is a tough thing to label a technology like this because it would mean different things to different people. For me the best driver assist features would be the ones almost completely unnoticeable until there is an actual emergency need for them to activate. Others might want the assist features to have a lot of input in normal driving. Other than that, I haven't spent enough time behind the wheel of many other brands with driver assist to be able to pick one over the other. Overall I tend to like most of the stuff on my '17 Outback, though it is very rare for me to use the LKA option, as I find it too intrusive.
agree Danver. My 2017 OB LTD does NOT have eyesight etc. Probably one of the last to be sold without it. So I’ve never experienced emergency braking etc. it appears many brands have adopted these features.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
34 Posts
I won't comment on who I think has the best system, because there are so many systems now and I've only ever used Subaru's system. However, Car and Driver did a neat real-world test a while back and compared Subaru to a few other auto makes. Link is below. Also, thanks to @Carl Abrams for sharing it first.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
289 Posts
I have not owned a BMW with assist technology but I do have experience with Toyota's version. I prefer the radar cruise control and pre-collision systems over Eyesight. Eyesight shuts down just when I need it the most, in dense fog or heavy snow, Toyota's radar system keeps working longer under adverse weather conditions. Also the Toyota systems had fewer bells and dings to confuse and annoy the driver. I expect the BMW has the same advantages over Subaru.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
34 Posts
Also the Toyota systems had fewer bells and dings to confuse and annoy the driver. I expect the BMW has the same advantages over Subaru.
I would be in favor for fewer dings. The Eyesight seems to have a different beep or chime for everything. It takes a pretty good while to learn what all they are trying to communicate, and I'm fairly sure there are some that just aren't explained in the manuals.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,372 Posts
I would be in favor for fewer dings. The Eyesight seems to have a different beep or chime for everything. It takes a pretty good while to learn what all they are trying to communicate, and I'm fairly sure there are some that just aren't explained in the manuals.
The regular beeps is one of my biggest complaints about the car.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,685 Posts
You need adaptive cruise in dense fog and heavy snow? Probably one of the worst times to use it, IMO. Of course, having a more reliable (and quieter) driver assist system is a good thing, but not sure it's so critical under such conditions. A good driver won't be moving at a high rate of speed and will likely be on the brakes way before the car considers intervening. Ok, that's not everyone. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts