Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
@Danver - Those pictures are awesome! I'll show them to her. She'll get a kick out of them for sure!

·
Registered
209 Posts
1) Learning how to use the remote start feature on the key fob and not depend on carrying the separate clunky remote start fob.
2) figuring out to attach my Fob to my Wallet so I never have to look for my keys again. This means I go from having to find three things (phone, wallet, keys) before I leave to two (wallet, phone). Bought a $9 grommet kit at Ace, so it’s almost free.
47C5AC81-98B3-46C0-A79F-C3F8E9712836.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
@Danver - Those pictures are awesome! I'll show them to her. She'll get a kick out of them for sure!
My mom had three different ones over the years. The first one was a '78 Cherokee Chief, then an '85 Grand Wagoneer, and later an '89 Grand Wagoneer. My uncle got the '78 when mom moved up to the '85 and then later when he died in 1999 nobody wanted it and it ended up in my driveway. I drove it for maybe a year and sold it. At that point the 360 V8 was burning about a quart of oil for every tank of gas, but it still ran great and the Quadratrac 4wd system was still fantastic.

I also eventually acquired the '85 as well and drove that for a while after having to put a new carburetor on it. I never actually owned the '89 but I did take it home to sell it when my parents moved south after retiring. After moving down south mom switched to an Oldsmobile Bravada, which I think she liked well enough, but it was always hard to picture her driving anything but the big boxy Wagoneers. The Bravada was her last car until she died far too soon after retiring from her 1st grade teaching career.

*edit for accuracy
After thinking about it I don't think the part about selling the '89 really happened. I remember having two of them for sale at my house but it may have been the '78 and the '85. I seem to remember my dad giving the '89 to a neighbor after they were down south. I'll have to remember to ask him because I'm having conflicting memories about it.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
@Danver - As we age, some of the particulars may change with our memory. Sorry to hear about your mom... One of the most influential people in my life was my 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Anderson. I remember learning basic math, but more importantly learning to read. Fond fond memories of my Dick and Jane readers and a small group in a circle taking turns, seeing dick, seeing jane, looking and watching spot run. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 2017 with the Subaru remote start option. It has a separate small fob and I thought I needed it to start the car remotely. But I seemed to remember someone at the dealership who said the regular fob was all you needed if you have the push button start option (which came std on the touring).

So, I googled it and found that you push the lock button on the regular fob three times and hold it down on the third press. Whalah...car starts.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
How are you doing this? What model year?

Thanks!
you'll need the remote start option (it's an accessory you can get for the car)... once that is installed, you can either use the little extra fob that comes with the remote start accessory (long range), or use the keyfob that came with the car (this is for push button start).

So, I googled it and found that you push the lock button on the regular fob three times and hold it down on the third press. Whalah...car starts.
Details of how to use the fob for the car for the remote start are in the owner's manual as well.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
653 Posts
Make a back-up camera cover by trimming a plastic container and using 2 sided gorilla tape. It does keep the camera drier in the rain. You'll still have to wipe the lens and cover clean every so often.

Attachments

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I just found out that the carabiner works great for stopping the phantom load when having the tailgate open.

Good info!

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
445 Posts
Securely fix the engine cover emblem badge to the 3.6R engine cover.

Bobiam’s topic 3.6 engine cover logo badge missing reminded me of a topic by Fate over on subaruforester.org some time ago.

After reading Fate’s topic Engine Cover Subaru Emblem... How To Avoid Losing It I checked to see how secure the emblem badge was fixed to the engine cover of our previous 2016 Liberty (Legacy) 3.6R only to find it wasn’t attached very securely. I hardly had to apply any force at all with a small flat blade screwdriver before it popped off. It was only being held by a couple of spots at the very edge with the double sided tape. Using Fate’s fix (cleaning with isopropyl alcohol & applying silicone sealant) secured it adequately.

I’m fairly certain the engine cover emblem badge would be attached the same way on the gen5 Outback 3.6R.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
644 Posts
Over the years my mom drove several different Jeep Wagoneers and Cherokees and one of the worst things was the back window always being covered in snow or grime. I came across a factory rear spoiler somewhere and when I put it on it made all the difference in the world for keeping that window clear. It looked like this one and you can see how it would direct the air down to blow across the rear window.
Ditto for a big old Chevy wagon I had years ago. That air deflector keeps spray from the rear of the car from the rear window. I can't see a way to do something similar to the existing spoiler, but maybe adding a small NASCAR style spoiler below the rear window, at the crease in the tailgate, would deflect the air swirling up from below. Another experiment....

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
45 Posts
Make a back-up camera cover by trimming a plastic container and using 2 sided gorilla tape. It does keep the camera drier in the rain. You'll still have to wipe the lens and cover clean every so often.
One suggestion I'd have it others were doing this: Don't use Gorilla tape.

There is a 3M product that is made for bonding accessories/plastic pieces to the outside of your car (2x sided tape).

With Gorilla tape, I'd be concerned that if that plastic piece broke or needed to be replaced that I wouldn't be able to get it off. The 3M tape, in my experience, is very good for holding things in place but, at the same time, it's possible to remove it.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
11 Posts
This solution changed my life. The dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I repeatedly asked them to look into it, I finally caught it happening near the shop and took them for a ride and they were still baffled. Found this solution and saved myself hundreds I'm sure on shop time.

With cold weather coming up, my "best free mod" may help out some of the Gen 5 owners who hate rattles: If you hear a rattle that seems to be coming from within your dashboard (evident in cold weather in particular), take less than 5 minutes to move the transmission ground cable under the hood near the firewall. Great instructions and photos at https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/dashboard-rattle-anyone-else-resolved.294193/post-4327505. I lived with the rattle for the first couple of months of owning the car (cold weather) then it went away after the weather warmed up, only to retun in the fall. I'm so glad that I came across the solution in this post - been rattle free for two years now.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium
5 Posts
Bought a kid's backpack from the dollar store for $3.75 to hold the jack and associated tools and nestled it in the spare tire, allowing me to remove the styrofoam tray. This gave me space to put my jumper cables, first aid kit, rain gear, and a blanket down under the floor.

I had my husband make a center console organizer modeled after the OCD one, but without the front left divider so the compartment with the charger has more space. I swear it made the console 3x bigger. The tray still fits over it and i just put stuff I never use in the back 2 compartments.

View attachment 472039 View attachment 472040
The organizer is fantastic!

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
653 Posts
One suggestion I'd have it others were doing this: Don't use Gorilla tape.

There is a 3M product that is made for bonding accessories/plastic pieces to the outside of your car (2x sided tape).

With Gorilla tape, I'd be concerned that if that plastic piece broke or needed to be replaced that I wouldn't be able to get it off. The 3M tape, in my experience, is very good for holding things in place but, at the same time, it's possible to remove it.
I didn't think about taking it off but that's a good point. I actually cracked the plastic cover and I'll let you know how difficult the gorilla tape is to remove when I replace the cracked cover.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,842 Posts
Hmmmm. In my 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback the pins are enough to keep the mats from moving around. That's what they're there for.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts