Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
228 Posts
Here's a different way to do the same thing (it costs a couple of bucks but it's way cooler!).

View attachment 472364
I went to our Subaru dealer recently. They had a animal shelter fundraiser sponsored by Subaru. They had these tags in various shapes. For a donation, the dealership person made a couple of tags for me. The machine that engraves the tag is right there. You can tell the person what you want engraved. The tags look great.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
653 Posts
Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
235 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6r
99 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Reactions: walker and Darkw

·
Registered
MY2016 3.6R
32 Posts
Is there a tutorial on the GPS movement lock somewhere?
Find this lock highly annoying, given that when I go to new places that I don’t know I am 99.999% riding not alone and the passenger could easily enter...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Silver Ice Metallic
17 Posts
Free (or almost free) mods or hacks:

—Flicking the gate latch closed when the gate is up in order to stop the 1 amp drain
—Flicking the volume knob to zero when exiting in order to have no volume at startup
—Applying 303 UV protectant to rubber on wipers every month to make them last longer
—Having dealer reduce mpg display by 5% (or whatever error you have)
—Replace 13W halogen in cargo area with an LED (couple bucks on Ebay)
how does this gate latch closure work?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,766 Posts

From another thread...

@skipw, I did a quick test and found a persistent 1.1-1.2A draw on the battery whenever any door is left open (and with all three interior light switches off). My side view lights are only a small portion of that draw, ~200mA or so. The only way to prevent this would be to close the switch that monitors the door (perhaps with a small horseshoe magnet?). Once the door is closed, the current gradually drops over a period of about 40 seconds before reaching "dark current".

As for the hatch, if you'd like to leave it open, it is possible to stop the battery draw by using a key to push the latch in. It will first snap into a closed position, then you need to push it a little further so the motor will activate to lock it closed. At this point, the car thinks the hatch is closed and current draw fades away, just like when closing a door. The only catch here is that, at this point, it will not respond to the close button on the hatch, and if you use the remote (or the console button), it will try to open the hatch, which confuses the system and requires that it be recalibrated. Recalibrating simply involves repeatedly pressing the hatch button (it will move a short distance and stop) until it closes completely.

I found a quicker solution was to manually close the hatch as far as possible, then hit the hatch button on the remote. It will begin to open and you can just give it a quick push the other way. It will beep, then reverse and automatically close. Everything is then back to normal.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
445 Posts
I found a quicker solution was to manually close the hatch as far as possible, then hit the hatch button on the remote. ...
Another way is to use the hatch button on the dash. Hold the hatch dash button in for about 2 seconds until a couple of relay clicks are heard (the blinkers will flash at the same time). Whatever is in the hatch lock to reduce the current draw (e.g. 8mm OD carabiner) will fall out & the hatch will move a short distance then stop. Keep repeating this process (about 6 times) until the hatch closes & locks. This is probably the slowest method.

Edit: The quote I was replying to was from AvidHiker, not jakemccoy who linked to it.

·
Registered
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
Under a dollar mod and a $357 one to save scratching the open tailgate. Hadn't seen a picture of the carabiner lift gate fooler mod so here's ours, and the jackshaft garage door opener in the background. They're great as they remove the opener carriage running over the top of the car that always was hitting the lift gate on our other vehicle. And I should have got orange carabiners. The wife just came and said the liftgate won't close again... View attachment 479498
Alright, I'm confused.

So what's the point of this carabiner mod? Does hooking it in the latch opening have the same effect as manually pushing the latch closed?

EDIT: realized you can't see the picture in the post...click view attachement

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
445 Posts
So what's the point of this carabiner mod? Does hooking it in the latch opening have the same effect as manually pushing the latch closed?
Yes. I just find it is easier & cleaner to push an 8mm OD carabiner into the lock (anything about 8mm OD will work - about the same size as what the lock latches onto at the bottom). Both methods fool the vehicle into thinking the hatch is closed & therefore reduces the battery current draw back to the normal very low ‘dark’ current of around 14mA.

Without doing that, if the hatch is left open it will only partially reduce the battery current draw after 20 minutes, but even then the draw will still be fairly high which is discharging the battery. Depending on the battery size & condition it can take enough out of the battery to prevent the vehicle from starting if left that way overnight.

The carabiner is used by some owners for tying loads to as well.

BTW - the carabiner trick wasn’t my idea, I just got the idea from this forum.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I've used it to tie down loads several times but never realized until this thread it also reduced the electrical load with the gate open.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,766 Posts
Alright, I'm confused.

EDIT: realized you can't see the picture in the post...click view attachement
As others have said, it is the same effect. I started doing the non-carabiner method first, and it is habit now. I usually flick the latch with one of my keys. I can also flick it with a finger if I have nothing else nearby, but I do not recommend that.

·
Registered
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
^Good stuff right there. Between this and putting the spare key fob to "sleep" trick, might be able to save some $$ on batteries...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes. I just find it is easier & cleaner to push an 8mm OD carabiner into the lock (anything about 8mm OD will work - about the same size as what the lock latches onto at the bottom). Both methods fool the vehicle into thinking the hatch is closed & therefore reduces the battery current draw back to the normal very low ‘dark’ current of around 14mA.

Without doing that, if the hatch is left open it will only partially reduce the battery current draw after 20 minutes, but even then the draw will still be fairly high which is discharging the battery. Depending on the battery size & condition it can take enough out of the battery to prevent the vehicle from starting if left that way overnight.

The carabiner is used by some owners for tying loads to as well.

BTW - the carabiner trick wasn’t my idea, I just got the idea from this forum.
Would an aluminum one be ok, or should I be looking for a steel one? I will probably use it to hold the door "closed" when traveling back with lumber to my house as well as reducing the current draw.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
the aluminum ones should be fine. I get the little 98 cent ones at home depot. They have a 150lb load limit, that should be enough.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
644 Posts
Would an aluminum one be ok, or should I be looking for a steel one? I will probably use it to hold the door "closed" when traveling back with lumber to my house as well as reducing the current draw.
If you're hauling something with the tailgate open, would locking in a carabiner also defeat the "driving with the tailgate open" warning?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 (Gen 5)
48 Posts
I just saw this one:

A strip of velcro keeps the cargo switch from sliding to the on position but if you ever need to manually turn the light on it will be easily removed.

Reactions: Dantrax and Brucey

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I just saw this one:

A strip of velcro keeps the cargo switch from sliding to the on position but if you ever need to manually turn the light on it will be easily removed.

That's a great idea.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Is there a tutorial on the GPS movement lock somewhere?
Find this lock highly annoying, given that when I go to new places that I don’t know I am 99.999% riding not alone and the passenger could easily enter...
If you're stuck on the highway doing highway speed and can't safely stop. You have your passenger (of course) disconnect or unpair your phone from the car and turn off blu tooth. Then open Waze on your phone and enter the new destination into your phone. Let it run and then repair your phone to the car. That work-around worked for us.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts