Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Outback 3.6 Limited, 13 Outback 3.6 Limited
29 Posts
Another not quite free mod but still under ten bucks including sales tax. The verdict is still out but it was worth the money just for the chance at reliving the nostalgia of a retro steering wheel cover. I've had similar lace-on covers in probably five or six vehicles over the years, mostly back in the 80s and early 90s. For the price my expectations were pretty low but so far it seems pretty decent. The lacing ends up a little awkward with the wider cross bars of the steering wheel but I made it work. I don't anticipate the tan color to look good for long since my hands are dirty more often than not, but I figured I would give it a try.

View attachment 480620
Just saw this and ****! It bought back great memories of having one on a Cutlass Supreme, Talk about wire thin steering wheels!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
Just saw this and ****! It bought back great memories of having one on a Cutlass Supreme, Talk about wire thin steering wheels!
I got it mostly for the nostalgia and a little laugh, but as it turns out I like it as much as I have liked them in the past. I'm going to order one for my Astro Van and maybe my GMC Sierra if there is one that will fit.

And I absolutely have to get one for my '77 Caprice, which I haven't driven in a couple of years now but am itching to get back on the road.

·
Premium Member
19 Outback 3.6 Limited, 13 Outback 3.6 Limited
29 Posts
I got it mostly for the nostalgia and a little laugh, but as it turns out I like it as much as I have liked them in the past. I'm going to order one for my Astro Van and maybe my GMC Sierra if there is one that will fit.

And I absolutely have to get one for my '77 Caprice, which I haven't driven in a couple of years now but am itching to get back on the road.

View attachment 488807
NICE! Miss those ”pull the knob“ out to turn on the lights. (Glad the Wranglers kept that functionality). I had an 80 Cutlass 2 door, the ride floated like a boat. LOL

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
NICE! Miss those ”pull the knob“ out to turn on the lights. (Glad the Wranglers kept that functionality). I had an 80 Cutlass 2 door, the ride floated like a boat. LOL
It has the dimmer switch on the floor as well. :cool:
It's a 4 door so it pretty much is a boat and handles accordingly.

I never owned a Cutlass, but I did have a 1980 Malibu for a while. It had skinny tires on the front that still rubbed on the headers if you turned too sharp, and wide tires on the back, along with helper airbags inside of the rear coils. Handling was sketchy at best but it was a load of fun going straight.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium H4.
65 Posts
Another not quite free but very functional mod I did was add an engine compartment light that comes on automatically when the hood is opened. I've posted this before but it is kind of lost in the mega LAME Battery thread.

It started off with one fairly simple mod which was to add a hard-wired plug at the battery to plug a maintainer in directly without having to use the alligator clips on the terminals.

When it occurred to me that the fused harness could also double as a power source I added a spring loaded switch and some LED lights stuck to the hood which get plugged into the maintainer harness attached to the battery. Works great. I think I spent about $30 but only used two of the 8 LED lights in the set so I still have the rest for other projects.

Spring loaded switch. Brilliant idea. Better than what I have been doing, which has been to retrofit wrecking yard Buick & GMC truck underhood mercury switch lights with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Spring loaded switch. Brilliant idea. Better than what I have been doing, which has been to retrofit wrecking yard Buick & GMC truck underhood mercury switch lights with LED bulbs.
Somewhere I have a couple of those mercury switch lights stuck in a box of junk. Had I come across one of them I likely would have gone that route just because I had them. Now that I have this setup I am glad I am not organized enough to know where those other lights are hiding. 😁

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium H4.
65 Posts
@Danver - my wife just walked by and snooped on what I was doing. She saw the wagoneer and went on an on about how neat the car was and wishing she had one. I think Jeep was supposed to revive the wagoneer but I don't know, maybe the project got killed.
I wish we hadn't sold our full size Wagoneer. But the 5 to 6 MPG towing got really old. 12 MPG the rest of the time was a little better.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts