Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best fuel economy you've achieved out of your Outback 3.0R?

The best I've achieved so far is 10.5lt/100km or almost 27mpg (or 22.5 US mpg)

I'd like to hear especially from Aussie Outback 3.0R owners as it would be more representative of local conditions/fuel etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We went to canberra from sydney on the weekend best we got for the 3.0R was 9.7kms/litre thats with cruise set to expressway local speed limits.
pretty average really

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi,

Best for a trip I have had is about 8.5l/100 km, (27MPG US) that was mostly leisurely highway driving, but it was in 40C and above heat!

My usual average is 13.3 to 12.5 l/ 100km (17.6-18.9 MPG US) notethat's 90% city and I do have a heavy right foot!

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8.5lt/100km is very good. I don't get that good a fuel economy, but I think it's because I have a heavy right foot and also I have put the 235/50 17" tyres on it which seem to make the fuel economy worse to the tune of an extra 0.5lt/100km.

I have since put Neo synthetic oil in the diff which seems to have improved the economy by about what I had lost when I put the wider tyres on, so I am back to normal as regards to fuel economy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Karl,

In case you hadn't noticed my posting name is now Boxer3.0R instead of SubaH6. Now that the Subaru flat 6 is known as the 3.0R instead of the H6 I thought I'd better change.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well the 8.5 was a one off when the car was new, I find for some reason a brand new car will often get economy that it can never get again so that may not count.

I did notice the name change request, did you see my post in the Gays love Subaru's thread about a possible name change? :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. LesbaruVDC. Would you like to go under that pseudonym? I'm sure we could accommodate hahahaha.:2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Boxer 3.0R :D

My best is around 8.5~8.9l/100km but that was on a rare occasion where the car was driven 85% highway.

But most of the time 11~12l/100km is about right. On the coast here its not as congested thought it is getting worst... I saw another silver 3.0R premium around my neighborhood yesterday:rolleyes:

Must admit revving the engine is highly addictive...:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mmmm sounds so good, feels so good!! How could those Ruski's have said it sounded harsh??
They're probably using their own crappy Ruski oil. They need some nice Neo oil instead! hahahaha

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mmmm sounds so good, feels so good!! How could those Ruski's have said it sounded harsh??
Actually, come to think of it, as we were wondering before about their performance results not being as good as Wheels performance results, I think we may have the answer. I believe that their fuel is not as high/good quality as ours. This would make the motor run/sound harsh.

I know that this is a VERY smooth motor. I haven't driven/been in any car thats motor is as smooth. Having driven/been in my friends BMW 325 coupe it is close but I think the 3.0R is smoother and much more powerful. Even he says that the 3.0R Outback is better than his BMW! especially for the price. He won't be buying a Beemer again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went to Newcastle today from Sydney (for all you Americans thats about 100miles north of Sydney on a nice 2/3 lane freeway at posted 110kmh or 70mph speed limit). Did a 370km (230mile) round trip sitting on 120kmh (75mph). About 50km in and around Newcastle seeing customers.

Averaged 9.45lt/100km= 30mpg (imperial) or 25mpg (US Gallon).

Used 34.5lts for 370kms.

For those who don't know the freeway there are a few quite steep long haul hills. In any other car to keep momentum of 120kmh I'd have to change down to 4th. I never needed to take the 3.0R out of 5th (manual mode) and it went up them almost as if they weren't there and would accelerate if needed.

Quite happy with that.:D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Lance that sounds impressive, did you use manual mode for the whole trip? It's good economy considering the speed and yes those long hills would suck lots of extra fuel. I'm pretty sure that's better economy than I got for that trip from my Mazda 6 about 18mths ago.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I used mainly manual mode even though I basically never changed gear on the freeway part.

I couple of tanks back I put the Subaru genuine fuel additive/cleaner in and it does seem to work to clean the injectors etc. Maybe that helped I don't know, but it also could be the diff oils that I use now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Guys,

I did a highway run over the weekend with cool temperatures, no aircon on, manual mode and managed 9.25l /100 km (US 25.4 MPG) mostly cruising at 110km/h. Very close to the same as what you got Lance. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good work Karl!

I just cleaned my air filter. I am now getting better response and better fuel economy around town, so I wish I'd done it before my Newcastle trip as I may have even got better than yours Karl!

New windscreen was put in and you can't tell the difference. Looks the same as the original and $1200 cheaper!:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts