Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 2006 Outback today with 126k and otherwise good shape and well maintained. The catch is this engine noise. It surprisingly runs but is definitely down on power. I can get it for probably 600 or so. Any guesses on what it could be? Would it be worth it if it needed a new engine?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hard to be positive, but it sounds like a con rod bearing is gone. Also possible that it is something in the valvetrain that is broken.

Rebuilding the engine will run in the $2500 - $3500 area, depending on who removes and installs it.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had engine problems and after looking at what a rebuild would cost, I opted for a JDM engine. I got my H6 delivered to my door for $1350! I pulled the oil pan and some sensors - everything looked like it just came off the production line! I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing again.
The swap was really very easy, provided you have access to a hoist. The new engine came with the wiring harness intact so it was pretty much plug and play!

·
Registered
386 Posts
IMHO I would go and talk to a mechanic unless you are going to tear out the engine etc. You can start with ebay if you want a cheap used engine to swap out, there are some JDM dealers in canada that have full short blocks ready to ship otherwise a short block will prob cost you a couple thousand depending where you purchase from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think I'm gonna pass on this Outback. Too much hassle for little reward. I'll keep looking for a sorted one. I'm in no hurry. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
jkenefake
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing