Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have never changed my own oil before on any vehicle. I got a quote for 120 bucks for an oil change and tire rotation from the dealer, so that changes now, heh.

Any links providing visuals would be incredibly helpful to me.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Sending you a PM. I'm sure there is a DIY somewhere on this forum, but I'll hook you up with the Service Manual pdf. It's on pages 767-769 (oil) and 784-785 (oil filter). Extremely straight forward and simple. Note it is not necessary to lift the OB.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I got a quote for 120 bucks for an oil change and tire rotation ...
Last time, I paid $24.95 (+$1.50 tax) for oil change, filter, tire rotation,
plus a multipoint inspection and top-off all fluids -- at a Subaru dealer.

Regular price would have been $40-$45 -- still too cheap to consider DIY.

...find another dealer,

Looby

Attachments

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^ And I agree with Looby, ridiculously overpriced for an oil change. If this stealership is trying to rip you off that badly for an oil change, just imagine how hard they'll hit you when you need something done you can't do yourself.

Find another dealership!

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
bring it to Meineke......they should do it for about $ 50 to 60 bucks.......Where do you live?................... so I will NEVER go to the STEALERship that quoted you that price............

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^ No way, do it yourself for $25 and rest assured that it's been done right! It may take you an hour+ the first time, but every time after that it's a cakewalk and saving you $$$.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Can't do an oil change in a 2013 2.5 for $25 even if you DIY

It requires Synthetic and the oil alone is going to cost $25 or more and you still have to pick up a filter.

Also on all those coupons you get for the dealer to do it you will notice the disclaimer about synthetics are going to cost more

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
True 'nuff, but $120 for oil change & tire rotation is beyond insane.

I can (almost) understand not wanting anyone else to tinker with
your pride and joy...

...OTOH, it's just a freakin' lump of metal/glass/plastic,

Looby

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You're right, I was exaggerating. My point is also that you won't find anyone who cares more about your car than the one behind the drivers seat every day (or the one whose kids are riding in the back seat). Safety and reliability matters; any work I can do I'll do myself.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Sending you a PM. I'm sure there is a DIY somewhere on this forum, but I'll hook you up with the Service Manual pdf. It's on pages 767-769 (oil) and 784-785 (oil filter). Extremely straight forward and simple. Note it is not necessary to lift the OB.
Will you send that to me also?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you do Mobil 1 you can get the best deal by buying in bulk at Sam's Club, I think it's 6 quarts for around $35. I order OEM Subaru filters in bulk from SubaruOnlineParts.com which come with a drainplug gasket.

Don't use an aftermarket filter, there is a special check-valve in the Subaru filters that is not available on filters from your FLAPS.

I agree with above posts, not sure how you could do an oil change on the OB (using a new OEM filter and Mobil 1) for less than $40 in materials. Maybe he dealer bought oil in massive bulk and charged only their cost.

...Please don't turn this into an oil thread....I know some people have issues with Mobil 1.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
If you do Mobil 1 you can get the best deal by buying in bulk at Sam's Club, I think it's 6 quarts for around $35. I order OEM Subaru filters in bulk from SubaruOnlineParts.com which come with a drainplug gasket.

Don't use an aftermarket filter, there is a special check-valve in the Subaru filters that is not available on filters from your FLAPS.

I agree with above posts, not sure how you could do an oil change on the OB (using a new OEM filter and Mobil 1) for less than $40 in materials. Maybe he dealer bought oil in massive bulk and charged only their cost.

...Please don't turn this into an oil thread....I know some people have issues with Mobil 1.
Costco has 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for $27, with a coupon which comes up every other month.

·
Registered
2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
129 Posts
+1 on Costco $27 plus tax of course..still way cheaper.

·
Registered
'11 Sky Blue 3.6 Limited w Moonroof/ Backup Camera
92 Posts
True but at least in my area, the Subaru one is cheaper.

I get them at advance auto parts (not sure if you have one in your neck of the woods) when they go on sale for $5 each with an additional 10 off 30 with an online coupon code; $3.33 a filter.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Costco has 6 quarts of Mobil 1 for $27, with a coupon which comes up every other month.
You don't need a coupon, it automatically deducts $10 off the regular price of $36.99 at the register, it's good til 2/24

1 - 20 of 40 Posts