Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5, 2015 Outback w/ Eyesight
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid a shop to change my HGs and they only lasted 32K miles. What are the best Gaskets made? I just got my heads pulled and I dont want to put any cheap junkie gaskets on them. Doing it myself this time. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
The Suby mechanic that changed my headgaskets only uses ones made by Cometic since they are MLS (multi-layered steel) and are slightly thicker than the factory gaskets.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
A few of west coast indy shops, who do a lot of HG's, use six star gaskets, which are MLS. So that's what I had put on my 02.

Many members on this forum also recommend one of the subaru turbo gaskets which are also MLS. Do a search to find part no and discussion.

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
Thanks,are these gaskets rubber coated as well?
I've done two HG jobs on the 2.5L and bought the updated MLS gaskets from Subaru. They're not that much more expensive (if you're nice they may give them to you for wholesale) and I have been very pleased. They DO NOT have the rubber coating, which is what I believe caused the problems from the factory.

I've heard good things about FelPro MLS gaskets, but I've had bad luck in the past and don't really like using FelPro products...It's a mental thing..

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
(this is a motor dependent question and you don't mention which EJ25 you're talking about). If it's the motor for the 2001 Outback in your info then:

1. Subaru EJ25 Turbo headgaskets are the way to go. They hold up to forced induction with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts