Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 VDC
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Got into a minor fender bender today, gonna need knew headlights. Gives me a good excuse to look into HiD kits for the car, its an 01 VDC outback. Any suggestions on kits I should look into? if so, what would I need to get that the kit might not have?

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,351 Posts
Look maybe at what they have at Diode Dynamics. I have a high-beam setup on order that I've read good reviews about.

Others here may have other good options to look at.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
You're gonna need a full retrofit. You OEM housings are reflectors, and dropping HIDs into those make everyone else on the road want to take a sledgehammer to your car, in a completely justifiable manner.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're gonna need a full retrofit. You OEM housings are reflectors, and dropping HIDs into those make everyone else on the road want to take a sledgehammer to your car, in a completely justifiable manner.
You will always get the best results from a housing that is designed for the type of lighting you are putting in there (halogen, HID, etc), and you have a good point. Reflector-style housings are not always the best fit for an HID conversion kit because you will be drastically increasing the light output but you will not have the focus that a Projector-style housing does to keep it under control.

The OP might want to look at LED options if they are set on doing an upgrade from halogens, as they are less of a dramatic increase so the glare would be more manageable. According to our 2001 Subaru Outback Lighting Guide, you need H1 bulbs on the Low Beams, though. We don't carry those in LED but you can probably find options out there.

~Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts