Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread about a month ago about my MPGs in my new 2013. I live in SE Michigan, so its cold but not too cold. I now have 3k miles and about 8 fillups. All have come in under 20.5 mpg. Mostly mixed driving. Some freeway with most suburban driving ( lights a mile apart 45-55mph speed limit). The last tank was all freeway 70-75mph with 4ppl and snowboards on the roof and got 18.9 MPG. Now......I have never hit 24...not even 23, or 21.....this makes me not very happy with my otherwise great car. 1 or 2 mpgs off I can see but 4 !!! CMON thats unacceptable !!!
What is the best avenue for my dissatisfaction ?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What calculation method are you using to determine the mpg?

·
Registered
2013 White Outback 2.5 Special Appearance Package
57 Posts
I started a thread about a month ago about my MPGs in my new 2013. I live in SE Michigan, so its cold but not too cold. I now have 3k miles and about 8 fillups. All have come in under 20.5 mpg. Mostly mixed driving. Some freeway with most suburban driving ( lights a mile apart 45-55mph speed limit). The last tank was all freeway 70-75mph with 4ppl and snowboards on the roof and got 18.9 MPG. Now......I have never hit 24...not even 23, or 21.....this makes me not very happy with my otherwise great car. 1 or 2 mpgs off I can see but 4 !!! CMON thats unacceptable !!!

Sell the car and buy something else :8:

I'm averaging 27 mpg mixed city and light hwy driving

when I have the paddle board on top im still getting around 25mpg.

Still haven't hit 30 mpg on a hwy trip yet. approx 3,600 miles on the car and only 1 hwy trip so far.

I don't think alot of 2013 owners with 2.5's have been that impressed overall w/ the mpgs

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
Sell the car and buy something else :8:

I'm averaging 27 mpg mixed city and light hwy driving

when I have the paddle board on top im still getting around 25mpg.

Still haven't hit 30 mpg on a hwy trip yet. approx 3,600 miles on the car and only 1 hwy trip so far.

I don't think alot of 2013 owners with 2.5's have been that impressed overall w/ the mpgs
You got that right .... I'm hoping it is just the cold weather and CVT not liking it.

·
Registered
2013 White Outback 2.5 Special Appearance Package
57 Posts
You got that right .... I'm hoping it is just the cold weather and CVT not liking it.

Yeah I've decided to keep mine till summer time and see how things go.. if I don't start seeing much better mpgs this thing is gone

I recalculated after realizing this thing has a 18.5 gallon tank and Im only avg 24 mpg

That is pathetic and unacceptable. IF thats the kind of mpg I'm going to get I'll start using my tacoma for more work related stuff again and buy something fun to replace the outback :17:

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
We're also in SE Michigan, averaging 22.5 on 80% highway @ 70-75, 15-20 mi trips + city errands. 2.5 CVT Outback too. That is about 4 mpg worse than our V6 Accord. Our neighbor with a 2011 2.5 CVT routinely gets better mileage.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
It seems like most folks with the 2.5 experience better mpg's as the engine gets more broken in. I know on my '12 2.5 I was only getting 25 or so hwy when I bought it new with 11 miles on it. I now have 15k and never get below 28 hwy and in summer it's 30-31.

·
Registered
2013 outback SAP
84 Posts
I know my CVT hates the winter. City MPG has dropped 3-4 mpg due to warm up times. You can feel the difference in the CVT from when it is cold to when it is warm. When it is cold, I cannot get the MPG's into any kind of acceptable area, once it is warmed up It does well.

In the summer I could get between 22 and 26 mpg in all city driving depending on my habits, now it is more 19-22 depending on how I drive it.

The couple highway trips I have taken I have been impressed averaging near 30's in mountains.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium
8 Posts
I have had an 11 and a 13. The 13 does not change ratio to lower the RPMs for optimal fuel efficiency until it is much warmer that on my old 11. It holds about 2K RPM while the old one would drop way off to about 1300 RPM at 40 MPH. Driving the same section of road once it is up to full operating temp the 13 will drop down just like the 11 did. I think it is a performance this and a cold weather thing. I am waiting to see what it does over the summer. I think it will pick up a lot once it warms up.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
You are not going to wasn't to hear this but that millage with that kind if driving sounds normal to me.

The hwy 30 mpg refers to freeway driving at a constant 60 mph imo. Anything outside of that will lower the number. Epa numbers needed to been seen for what they are.

Having said that, I'd be upset if i was seeing that too. It looks like this is just not the car for you.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
It seems like most folks with the 2.5 experience better mpg's as the engine gets more broken in. I know on my '12 2.5 I was only getting 25 or so hwy when I bought it new with 11 miles on it. I now have 15k and never get below 28 hwy and in summer it's 30-31.
Anecdotally that was not my experience. My ob has been predictable from 14 miles to 14k miles. No change, except a drop for winter fuel.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
What RPMs do you get to when accelerating? The 2.5i loves cruising speed and a smaller 4cyl will burn just as much gas as a 6 if it's flogged. I recall the Top Gear episode where Clarkson drags a BMW 5 series with a Prius and burns more gas as a result...

Generally, at 2K RPMs on mine with lower speed highway 2-lane roads, I'll get 26 or 27 hand calculated. If I drag race it to 4K RPMs, mileage will drop like a rock. 30MPG on the highway as long as it's at 70MPH or less.

Then check the usual things, tire pressure at 35 psi or so. Air filter and EGR system then come to mind in case something's not sealed on the air filter or something wasn't PDI'd properly on the vehicle. Something's up.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
is that Michigan Left Turn and Concrete Hwy that's killing your MPG!!!! LOL...

Is this your frst CVT car? If yes, PAy attention to your RPM gauge. It is easy for novice (to CVT) that consistently drag/race the engine without noticing it.... I had a HONDA Civic Hybrid back in 2002-2010 and My first few weeks I was gtting a measly 36mpg only on the CVT... after switching my driving habit, my average improve to 45-46 mpg... If I hypermiles it, 55-60 mpg... you just need to get use to the CVT... watch the RPM gauge... keep in under 2K and trust me, your average speed is not gonna change much (if at all)....

also, STOP tailgating the car in front of you,.. CVT cars is the worst cars(from MPG standpoint) to be tailgating someone!

good luck... my 3.6R ids averaging 24.3mpg over 50k miles,our 2.5 CVT OB should AT least get 26-28 mpg (depending on your city/hwy %) Winter fuel will drop the mpg by 1-2 mpg... Ethanol blend gas probably another 1 mpg.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
My 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited definitely got better mpg after it had several thousand miles on it than it did when it was new.

My wife's 2013 RDX seems to have improved since around 6K miles too.

·
Registered
'13 OB 2.5i Limited
52 Posts
is that Michigan Left Turn and Concrete Hwy that's killing your MPG!!!! LOL...

Is this your frst CVT car? If yes, PAy attention to your RPM gauge. It is easy for novice (to CVT) that consistently drag/race the engine without noticing it.... I had a HONDA Civic Hybrid back in 2002-2010 and My first few weeks I was gtting a measly 36mpg only on the CVT... after switching my driving habit, my average improve to 45-46 mpg... If I hypermiles it, 55-60 mpg... you just need to get use to the CVT... watch the RPM gauge... keep in under 2K and trust me, your average speed is not gonna change much (if at all)....

also, STOP tailgating the car in front of you,.. CVT cars is the worst cars(from MPG standpoint) to be tailgating someone!

good luck... my 3.6R ids averaging 24.3mpg over 50k miles,our 2.5 CVT OB should AT least get 26-28 mpg (depending on your city/hwy %) Winter fuel will drop the mpg by 1-2 mpg... Ethanol blend gas probably another 1 mpg.
+1.

Driving a CVT is different. It's really easy to mash the accelerator where the engine revs to 3500-4000 rpms and hold there until you reach speed. The key to gettting decent mileage is to hold the revs to no more than 2400 (we have hills) and let the CVT ratio change increase your speed. This is hard because we all grew up learning that increasing revs equals acceleration. Once you learn that's not the case with these cars, your mileage will improve.

I made the transition and went from 19 mpg to 23 on one tank. My driving pattern tends to be very short trips with a lot of short steep (15%+ grade) hills. On flat pavement I get 25 around town.

The key is to allow the CVT ratio change to create acceleration, not engine revs.

When I first did this, I thought it made me drive too slowly. But having done it for a while now, I realize that I'm generally pulling away from lights as fast as or faster than everyone else. There's plenty of torque down low on these motors, let it work for you.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Yeah I've decided to keep mine till summer time and see how things go.. if I don't start seeing much better mpgs this thing is gone

I recalculated after realizing this thing has a 18.5 gallon tank and Im only avg 24 mpg

That is pathetic and unacceptable. IF thats the kind of mpg I'm going to get I'll start using my tacoma for more work related stuff again and buy something fun to replace the outback :17:
I may be missing something here because I haven't had my coffee yet, but how does the 18.5 gallon tank factor into your calculation? MPGs are a function of gas consumed, and not the total capacity of the tank. That could be why your calculation is lower now.

That being said, 24 mpg falls right into the range that was on the Monroney sticker.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Same here. I try to adhere to the 2500rpm rule which is tough since I live in a very hilly area. I still manage 24mpg around town on winter gas. It may seem like everybody is leaving me in the dust but I always catch up even without speeding.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Don't forget the 2.5i is programmed to guzzle fuel when it's cold.
This is done to light off the cats quickly to decrease emissions..

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic
320 Posts
+1.

Driving a CVT is different. It's really easy to mash the accelerator where the engine revs to 3500-4000 rpms and hold there until you reach speed. The key to gettting decent mileage is to hold the revs to no more than 2400 (we have hills) and let the CVT ratio change increase your speed. This is hard because we all grew up learning that increasing revs equals acceleration. Once you learn that's not the case with these cars, your mileage will improve.

I made the transition and went from 19 mpg to 23 on one tank. My driving pattern tends to be very short trips with a lot of short steep (15%+ grade) hills. On flat pavement I get 25 around town.

The key is to allow the CVT ratio change to create acceleration, not engine revs.

When I first did this, I thought it made me drive too slowly. But having done it for a while now, I realize that I'm generally pulling away from lights as fast as or faster than everyone else. There's plenty of torque down low on these motors, let it work for you.
+10 :29:. Drive with your eyes (tach) instead of your ears till you get used to the CVT. :D

·
Registered
2011 Outback
29 Posts
Same here. I try to adhere to the 2500rpm rule
I've had 4 vehicles with CVT's and I've always done the press to 2000-2500 then hold and let the gears catch up. Car magazines always talk about the rubber band feel of the CVT but I've never felt that. Writers like to floor the gas every chance they get.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts