Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.
What's the best OBD2 scan tool out there?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,331 Posts
torque pro app on a current or old android phone and $10-20 bluetooth dongle

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,294 Posts
torque pro app on a current or old android phone and $10-20 bluetooth dongle
Lets assume for a moment that one does not carry a cellular telephone. (Like me for example)

My general reccomendation would be a tool which not only reads the codes but also includes the DEFINITIONS of them. Better still, the so-called "Next Generation" scan-tools also have a library of possible causes and next-steps in the repair process.

Here is an example of a "Next Generation" scan tool ==> Autel AutoLink AL419 OBDII EOBD & CAN Code Reader

In some cases, it is beneficial to be able to "log" and display graphs. In that case, the next step up would fit the bill ==> $68.00 Autel AutoLink AL519 OBDII EOBD & CAN Scan Tool Support Online Update

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,331 Posts
Lets assume for a moment that one does not carry a cellular telephone. (Like me for example)

My general reccomendation would be a tool which not only reads the codes but also includes the DEFINITIONS of them. Better still, the so-called "Next Generation" scan-tools also have a library of possible causes and next-steps in the repair process.

Here is an example of a "Next Generation" scan tool ==> Autel AutoLink AL419 OBDII EOBD & CAN Code Reader

In some cases, it is beneficial to be able to "log" and display graphs. In that case, the next step up would fit the bill ==> $68.00 Autel AutoLink AL519 OBDII EOBD & CAN Scan Tool Support Online Update

they look like they ship from china direct if you buy them off the company website.

amazon and newegg have those, for a few dollars more.

______

I use rom-raider free software actually. with my $11 cable. and my 2009-10 era windows laptop.

(this does logging and had the definitions right in it as well)

________

does the autel let you download the files into a laptop?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,294 Posts
they look like they ship from china direct if you buy them off the company website.

amazon and newegg have those, for a few dollars more.
I ordered one a couple weeks ago and EXPECTED it to ship from China.... it was actually shipped from California. So...why pay more from Amazon or Newegg?

does the autel let you download the files into a laptop?
I am not sure what files you are asking about? Certainly Autel has a USB connection for software upgrades. (The library of possible solutions is constantly maturing as more data is collected)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,331 Posts
I ordered one a couple weeks ago and EXPECTED it to ship from China.... it was actually shipped from California. So...why pay more from Amazon or Newegg?

I am not sure what files you are asking about? Certainly Autel has a USB connection for software upgrades. (The library of possible solutions is constantly maturing as more data is collected)
log files like rom-raider produces.

and amazon and newegg
will give you your money back if there is a problem.

·
Registered
2005 LGT 2.6 5EAT Sedan
55 Posts
Cobb Access Port allows you to scan all of the codes with definitions, make changes within the tune, log real time, and be able to change the tune map as needed for things like valet parking, letting the kid or wife drive, or you can disable it completely if you are parking it somewhere long term and are worried about someone possibly stealing it.

Many tuners whether it be an etune or in person, can write your tune and either email it to you or directly upload it so that when you marry it to your car, you can immediately download your tune. If you ever decide to sell the car, you can remove your tune, put it back to stock and unmarry the AP and then turn around and sell it easily.

I know they sell Stage 1 and Stage 2 OTS tunes on these for the XT, and all of the turbo cars, but I honestly don't know if there is any information available on them for the N/A cars. Best thing would be to call Cobb and see what they can tell you.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Also consider btssm. If you only need to interact with Subarus and happen to have an android device, you can get top quality logging and gauge display via their interface and app.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,331 Posts
Just a quick question.
just looking at your signature,...are you running a 5EAT tune from XRT = @west_minist ?

like everyone with a 5EAT thinks it is the best thing they have ever done,.....

need and rom raider, and possibly the expensive tactrix dongle.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Also consider btssm. If you only need to interact with Subarus and happen to have an android device, you can get top quality logging and gauge display via their interface and app.
Indeed, although, if the car isn't listed in the BtSsm website, contact the developer. If there's a Romraider definition that would work, it could be added to the BtSsm library, making it work with a different engine.

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just looking at your signature,...are you running a 5EAT tune from XRT = @west_minist ?

like everyone with a 5EAT thinks it is the best thing they have ever done,.....

need and rom raider, and possibly the expensive tactrix dongle.
I ended up going with Torque Pro and BAFX Products® - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY

Don't have the XRT tune yet, but it will be coming soon when the first big commission check comes through.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
339 Posts
I've been very happy with my ScanGaugeII

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
489 Posts
I ended up going with Torque Pro and BAFX Products® - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY

Don't have the XRT tune yet, but it will be coming soon when the first big commission check comes through.
excellent choice. Ive got the same setup. add a power button to it and its golden! Except for the fact that I always kick it when getting into the car or shifting gears. Need to find another solution for that.

Heres mine with the power button mod.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,331 Posts
excellent choice. Ive got the same setup. add a power button to it and its golden! Except for the fact that I always kick it when getting into the car or shifting gears. Need to find another solution for that.

Heres mine with the power button mod.
I know they make smaller bluetooth interfaces. but I wonder,

is it possible to move the location of the subaru dash outlet up higher?

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
489 Posts
I know they make smaller bluetooth interfaces. but I wonder,

is it possible to move the location of the subaru dash outlet up higher?
i bought a cheapo cable so i can place the reader somewhere else. May double stick tape it flat to the bottom of the under dash area or my fuse door for easy access. I rarely have this thing on. Was just a luxury-nice-to-have.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
198 Posts
Cobb Access Port allows you to scan all of the codes with definitions, make changes within the tune, log real time, and be able to change the tune map as needed for things like valet parking, letting the kid or wife drive, or you can disable it completely if you are parking it somewhere long term and are worried about someone possibly stealing it.

Many tuners whether it be an etune or in person, can write your tune and either email it to you or directly upload it so that when you marry it to your car, you can immediately download your tune. If you ever decide to sell the car, you can remove your tune, put it back to stock and unmarry the AP and then turn around and sell it easily.

I know they sell Stage 1 and Stage 2 OTS tunes on these for the XT, and all of the turbo cars, but I honestly don't know if there is any information available on them for the N/A cars. Best thing would be to call Cobb and see what they can tell you.
I have a CobbTuning Access Port as well, however I am somewhat disappointed with it. I have the latest, version 3. I have the outback version of your engine.
1. Max gauges is 6 total. I wish they would release a larger screen, like a iPad version 10 inch screen or let me use my own iPad. This way I can have more than 6 gauges. 2. VVT - Variable valve Timing - I bought the car used, the sensors were failing. Not only did cobb tunning not pick up on this issue, subaru's cruise control does not know how to handle a failing cam sensor while driving. With cars having so much technology like ours, that means the tolerances should be tigher. I can understand the engine knock sensor having a wide tolerance. First, passenger side sensor started to fail badly. This caused the car to bug out, and trip a code. After that one got replaced, a month or two later, the drivers side started to fail. Cobb could not help me, I was looking for voltage or ohmage readings from the sensors so I could compare. Since there was no code, no one could help me. So I just decided to replace the sensor anyways. Problem is now fixed. 3. Interacting with the ECU, the only thing I can do is change the Engine Timing. I don't have Launch Control, I cannot adjust rev limiter, I cannot change when the electric fans turns on/off, and etc.4. Recording while driving - I want to record all the gauges, like the Holly ECU, however when you select all the gauges not enough memory and of-course if does not help you with that either. Meanwhile on my cheaper scan tool, I can record all the sensors at once. 5 - No features for ABS or SRS. I need ABS support, because I have a problem with my braking system. I think it is the ABS module. I want to replace it, however ABS has to be tested through the OBD2, since it is cambus. So what did 650usd buy me, to backup my tune to my local computer, and the ability to change tunes if need be. Other than that, to me, it is a waste of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a quick question.
OTG and Subaru
Hi bro.
I used the program for JDMscan smartphone which is free on the Play Market on android and the OTG cable for connecting obd2 and the cord from the ALI vag com 409.1 website. The program can read the motor, automatic transmission, view data, erase errors and most importantly write logs. Language Russian and English. Link to the program Приложения в Google Play – JDMscan

·
Premium Member
'05 OB 2.5i, '14 OB 3.6R
141 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts