Subaru Outback Forums banner

Best Online sources for Subaru parts?

163K views 105 replies 68 participants last post by  Owengsi 
#1 ·
I'm curious where the best places are online to buy subaru parts for my 99 Legacy Outback?

Rick

#4 ·
I think this thread would benefit being a sticky.

#5 ·
Actually, when I first posted it, I looked and was surprised I couldn't find a similiar thread...I then looked to see if for some reason, it was not allowed to post such a thread because of sponsors or?

It would be great to know which are the preffered places to buy parts..in the past with other purchases, I have been surprised to find other places with better service AND lower prices.

Rick

#7 ·
I have already gotten more information in this thread than I did picking through the threads on the Vendors Playground forum...here it is to the point, and a listing of who's who...it's peacemeal on the Vendors Playground.

Thanks for the suggestion

Rick

#8 ·
#9 ·
Check for Customer Service Phone Number!

I just purchased a number of parts from subarugenuineparts.com, which is Chaplins Subaru in Bellevue, WA. They informed me by e-mail that a few parts were backordered and would take 2-3 days to receive and that the entire order would ship when the b.o.'d items arrived. I'm on vacation and doing a timing belt change, so I wanted to know what parts they were waiting on and get them to ship the belt change parts if they had them. No phone number to contact customer service and I received an auto-reply when I tried to contact via e-mail.

They had the cheapest price of the few I checked, but I warn anybody that needs parts within a certain time frame to check for a phone number in the event there's a backordered item.

I ordered far enough ahead of time and got the parts in time, but just a warning for others. Check for a phone number before ordering.

Cheers!
TC

#10 ·
Liberty Subaru (look them up) is another option and I haven't ordered in a while but they used to have the best shipping structure in terms of pricing. They're also an east coast online supplier so might save 1-3 days shipping for those on this side.

for large orders/parts the best option is to ask the local dealer to match the online pricing. i prefer having parts show up on my door step, i'm too busy to visit dealers all the time, but if i happen to be close or need a lot the dealers have always done that for me.

i've used all the online jokers too. they're all fine, no way to really compare in my opinion as prices differ and more importantly the shipping structure differs, so it's really hard to compare prices, every job/part/order would be better from a different place if price was the concern.

customer service has all been fine, but online is an extra level of communication and detachment. i've had a few mistakes, even when giving them the exact part number....i was billed and shipped an SVX TPS (big loot) instead of some little cheap part with apparently a similar (mis-typed) part number, that was subarugenuineparts. resolved fine and i'd still order from them, but time on the phone, shipping back, waiting on the right part, checking for the refund....etc..is going to happen sometimes.

#43 ·
Liberty Subaru (look them up) is another option and I haven't ordered in a while but they used to have the best shipping structure in terms of pricing. They're also an east coast online supplier so might save 1-3 days shipping for those on this side.

for large orders/parts the best option is to ask the local dealer to match the online pricing. i prefer having parts show up on my door step, i'm too busy to visit dealers all the time, but if i happen to be close or need a lot the dealers have always done that for me.
I tried to get Ramsey Subaru (NJ ) to match their OWN online prices in the dealership and they refused "those prices are only for on-line customers since those people are always comparison shopping" YES that was their line, guess you know where I bought my items (online but will never buy from them online) what A$$ES they are.
Funny they have coupon online for an alignment for $49 and as you scroll down another for $89 alignment.

#13 ·
Best Place

I didn't know where to go finally went to Rock Auto and they were great got all new rotors and pads and shocks for my other car. They saved me a bunch but they did some screw ball shipping you have to be careful, they are quick very reasonable and offer you grades of the products.
Bob:eek::rolleyes:

#15 ·
Canada: autopartsway.ca, dalesalignment.com, rocketrally.com,clubplug.net, pdm-racing.com
US: writerguy.com(Primitive Racing)
These are companies I have used for purchasing parts so far. Not a problem from any of them. They've all given what good advice when they could.
Plus the classified in this site, NASIOC and subaruoutback.org

#25 ·
I see he specializes in Subaru axles but I wanted to mention Raxels www.raxles.com. I have used them and so have quite a few friends / acquaintances and all have been satisfied every time. A few of those times were custom, high load & pretty funky setups that came out excellent. Many years ago they suggested and fabbed the "final solution" to a monster V-8 powered Datsun Z that ate rear axle half shafts (even Bob Sharp racing had to eat their words that I would not break theirs), never an issue again - started blowing center punkins more often :( but that's how that stuff goes, that car was brutal and brutally fast.

#18 ·
Amazon

I spent a whole weekend picking through sites to decide what brands to use on my 02 OBW. Unfortunately, it's really hard to compare apples to apples on some of those sites. When I did find what parts I wanted to use, I found the same things super cheap on Amazon.

I got:
full Fel-Pro engine gasket set for 140
Gates Timing Belt Component (belt, pulleys, tensioner) for 170
All-New Bosch Water Pump for 40
Bosch O2 Sensors, both, for 100ish

Did a head gasket job and replaced the water pump and timing belt assembly in my drive way for a 24 pack of beer, the cost up there and a weekend of labor.

Note: Amazon has a 'garage' where they store your vehicles and they check your car against the parts to make sure they fit. If they don't, it's a no-hassle return.

#19 ·
Subarupartsforyou.com had a great site for finding OEM parts. You could basically look through everything there is, find what you want, and it would tell you the part number and even show you a photo of the part, in most cases, in addition to giving you the little diagram showing where it goes on the car. Unfortunately, the site has recently been redesigned, and now it's identical to the other dealership parts sites that I have been able to find; i.e., it sucks.

However, this morning, I got the bright idea of running the url through the Internet Wayback Machine (web.archive.org). Guess what? Bwa ha ha ... It's (mostly) still there. At least you can use it to easily find part numbers that aren't on the other sites.

#21 ·
Note: Amazon has a 'garage' where they store your vehicles and they check your car against the parts to make sure they fit. If they don't, it's a no-hassle return.
I too get a lot of parts from Amazon, but have found their fitment charts to be pretty poor. Mostly it's a part that fits according to the manufacturer's website but Amazon says it doesn't fit because their charts are incomplete. Anyway, I always check the manufacturer's website for fitment ... not just for Amazon, but for all vendors ... saves a lot of grief.

#22 ·
it's still easy to make a 'mistake' at Amazon, they aren't great at making 'left side/right side' distinctions or front vs rear. You have to be careful, more so than at Rockauto for instance. Still, Amazon is a decent source and sometimes as cheap or cheaper than other places - but it isn't a guarantee.

#29 ·
Always double check manufacturer websites. I store them in my favorites list and write down all my popular part numbers. I can't knock sites if I don't use them but I have heard rock auto has problems with returns. If you are in the mail order business that can be an issue. I love amazon for lots of my purchases. Always shop around but if there is a mistake, mine or amazon's, I know they will fix it :29:

#30 ·
If you are not getting it local from a parts store or the dealer, any place online is good as long as it is OEM or equal and the supplier will not hassle on warranty claims.

With Subarus, a lot of aftermarket parts just don't fit or perform properly, so if you order online, be sure you have a return option.