Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT Pearly white
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the best option is for external cargo?
I am currently looking for something that wont affect fuel consumption too much ( I understand there will be some negatives )
Removable , as it will only be used for camping trips and the like.

Roof top baskets look so cool, but what about rain ?

Roof top boxes are very expensive

Rear hitch basket style, can you open the tailgate though?

Thanks in advance
Jordan

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
I just installed Rola roof top basket (for summer days) and I have the small Subaru cargo box (for rainy days). I will keep Rola on most of the time and I will switch to lockable cargo box when on road trips such as white water rafting, camping or skiing...

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
hitch would likely have the least impact on mileage at highway speeds. and there seem to be a few that offer access to a hatch;

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,138 Posts
I think I would like a hitch platform. It seems convenient and without the trailer jacknife type issues. Plus it leaves the roof for skis, kayaks or bikes.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Hitch platform is nice for a lot of reasons but you have to keep the weight low. As in less than you would think to put on the roof. Great for lightweight bulky stuff though.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
If mileage is really important the sleek roof box is the only roof option. Baskets are really good for rogh messy stuff. Like say hauling a chainsaw and associated stuff. You wouldnt want that in your nice expensive box. A basket with a cheap roof bag is the compromise for all weather basket gear protection. The basket is the worst for mileage of all the ootions.

Ive borrowed the hitch basket platform. Very limited usable weight and space. Trucks/ suvs you can pack heavy compact things on them. The OB not so much.

My box has been the single best money spent bought in 2004. Been used on countless cars.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
If mileage is really important the sleek roof box is the only roof option. Baskets are really good for rogh messy stuff. Like say hauling a chainsaw and associated stuff. You wouldnt want that in your nice expensive box. A basket with a cheap roof bag is the compromise for all weather basket gear protection.

Ive borrowed the hitch basket platform. Very limited usable weight and space. Trucks/ suvs you can pack heavy compact things on them. The OB not so much.

My box has been the single best money spent bought in 2004. Been used on countless cars.

The cheap alternate roof bag and some hard wood strips acting as support stringers between the rack cross bars. Cheap easy and gives you big storage. I run the Target 42x42 roof bag on our tent trailer $50. Nice bag the straps are junk but thats a cheap fix. I pack our large kitchen bin, coleman stove, sleeping bags, towels, lantern, few other smaller items. Massive storage space option. Mileage hit will probably be 3-4mpg at 65-70mph speeds. By the way two fork mount mt bikes on the lid have about the same mpg hit

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
I bought a Sears Xcargo Sport20 (20 cubic foot) roof box about five years ago. It is a little lighter weight than other brands, but I have never had a problem with it. It is BIG, which could be a positive or negative. I does impact fuel economy. It keeps your things dry, but you may need a step stool to get to your stuff. It comes with a lock, so your stuff is secure. They are usually $199, but sometimes go on sale. I think I got mine for $175.

I used to have a hitch mounted tray, but I recently gave it to my father in law. Issues with those are that you have to be careful with weight and balance, and you need to come up with a way to secure your stuff and protect it from weather. The Outback has a 200 pound tongue weight, BUT a cargo tray adds significant leverage, so you should probably keep the weight down to 100 pounds or less, and that includes the weight of the tray itself. Also, if the tray has any wiggle room, it will bounce in the hitch, which further amplifies the forces on your hitch. You really should use a hitch silencer/vise to keep movement to a minimum. I have seen a number of hitches literally ripped out of the car due to overloading a cargo tray or bicycle rack.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
The height of the Subaru is not to be overlooked, as someone else mentioned. I used to put my bikes on the roof, but I found it to be a bit difficult to safely remove my wife's tall bike from the roof with my average height, so I bought a platform bike rack that goes on the back (get a 2" receiver!).

I could imagine that using roof storage does indeed necessitate a stepstool for the average joe, which may or may not be OK, depending upon one's preferences. Something to keep in mind.

Christopher

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I have a little 4 x 5 trailer from Harbor Freight. It can load 1000 pounds and haul most of the stuff I want to haul.
I don't know how one could ever get that little thing to jack knife.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
The height of the Subaru is not to be overlooked, as someone else mentioned. I used to put my bikes on the roof, but I found it to be a bit difficult to safely remove my wife's tall bike from the roof with my average height, so I bought a platform bike rack that goes on the back (get a 2" receiver!).

I could imagine that using roof storage does indeed necessitate a stepstool for the average joe, which may or may not be OK, depending upon one's preferences. Something to keep in mind.

Christopher
I'm a mountain biker with the leg length of an infant and I have turned climbing around on my Blazers, Xterra, Jetta Sportwagen and Outback into an art form. Stepping up from the rear doorway onto the back tire has always worked great for me when I really need to get up there.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I'm a mountain biker with the leg length of an infant and I have turned climbing around on my Blazers, Xterra, Jetta Sportwagen and Outback into an art form. Stepping up from the rear doorway onto the back tire has always worked great for me when I really need to get up there.
Door sill step up always. Dont step on the black trim! The trim is only held in place with plastic pop pins. Positioning the box far right makes it accessible to passenger side. You dont need to stand in traffic while fishing the backup diaper supply out of the box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts