Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring, Crystal White Pearl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple of searches and see that the lack of FLAC mention in the manuals was not merely an oversight, but that the entertainment system actually can't decode them. So ... since I don't want to duplicate my music collection, am I correct that my only option would be to connect my portable DAP (FIIO, not Apple) to the system via the AUX port?

Thanks,
pat----

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,141 Posts
Sounds like - or make CDs!

Reactions: psklenar

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
364 Posts
You have your entire FLAC collection on a computer drive somewhere, right? Just run - aw jeez, the name of the utility I use just went out of my head - against it and create a set of high-quality MP3's. Then put the whole thing on one of those little flashdrives the size of your thumbnail.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
I did a couple of searches and see that the lack of FLAC mention in the manuals was not merely an oversight, but that the entertainment system actually can't decode them. So ... since I don't want to duplicate my music collection, am I correct that my only option would be to connect my portable DAP (FIIO, not Apple) to the system via the AUX port?

Thanks,
pat----
I really have trouble using my FIIO X3 via USB. Have 128 gig ssd card with about 70 gigs on it. The unit will play starting with the first song in the first artist. Takes forever to read/index the whole thing. Actually has never completed. Not sure it ever has. Thanks for the reminder about the AUX port. Pain to use FIIO screen/menus in the car, I bet.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
364 Posts
dBpoweramp, that's what I was trying to remember. Just run it and rip all your FLACs to highest-quality MP3s and put them on a little 128GB Sandisk flash drive not much bigger than the port itself that you get for 30 bucks on Amazon.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,673 Posts
dBpoweramp, that's what I was trying to remember. Just run it and rip all your FLACs to highest-quality MP3s and put them on a little 128GB Sandisk flash drive not much bigger than the port itself that you get for 30 bucks on Amazon.
There's no such thing as "highest quality MP3". :)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Buy a used LGV10 or V20 - both have very good DAC's as well as an SD card slot and can be found for less than 200.00. Copy your music over to the SD card in the phone and use it as a music vault either via Android Auto or connecting as storage to the Aux. You can use LG's built in music player to play your FLAC's.

David

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
364 Posts
There's no such thing as "highest quality MP3". :)
Of course there is -- and I bet 999 out of a thousand people can't hear the difference in a vehicle. Heck I bet 99 out of a hundred can't hear the difference on a high end home sound system.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a used LGV10 or V20 - both have very good DAC's as well as an SD card slot and can be found for less than 200.00. Copy your music over to the SD card in the phone and use it as a music vault either via Android Auto or connecting as storage to the Aux. You can use LG's built in music player to play your FLAC's.

David
Well, I already have an excellent DAP with a excellent DAC, so if I need to use the AUX input, I have what I need for that. :)

pat----

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,673 Posts
Of course there is -- and I bet 999 out of a thousand people can't hear the difference in a vehicle. Heck I bet 99 out of a hundred can't hear the difference on a high end home sound system.
On a Subaru message board where it's mostly geezers who have high frequency hearing loss, maybe so. :)

It really depends on the type of music. Top 40's garbage? It's designed to be heard from cheap audio sources. Classical? It's trivial to distinguish the difference even for a geezer with a lot of high frequency hearing loss. So enjoy those classic rock MP3s. ;)

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
364 Posts
OK, but it's mostly what I'm told is now called "Americana." And you enjoy your classical FLACs too.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
364 Posts
The Americana channel on Pandora is a very nice introduction. Other things so labeled, not necessarily so much ...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
I had to think about this a minute...

Bubba, your statement is probably correct when listening to audio files in a moving vehicle. With wind, vehicle, and road noise, you will lose the high and low ends that are usually preserved in lossless audio files like FLAC. In that case, you are not likely to notice any difference between the FLAC and MP3 files.

In a high quality audio system - and the HK system sorta qualifies - sitting still with the engine off, you might notice a slight difference.

Now, take the two formats and compare them on a high end system such as what psklenar is referring to, then the average listener will be able to notice a big difference in an ideal environment. Again, a car is not an ideal environment.

Pat, the advantage I was thinking of when using the LG phone, was being able to use the steering wheel controls and the android auto display for relatively "hands off" control of the music. I'm not sure you can do that with the FIIO.

EDIT: Using the LG V10 or V20 will require you to use the headphone/AUX jack combo in order to use the Quad DAC of either phone. So, I don;'t think you can do it via android auto...I'll have to try that later. The USB cord connection bypasses the DAC. It will still stream the FLAC music via the LG music player (and others that support it).

David

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I have a v20 and also a compatible android auto head-unit. I can confirm it does not use the DAC while in android auto at least on my head-unit because it uses Bluetooth as the audio output.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may end up simply replicating my library, but I think i'll try connecting my FIIO via the AUX port first & see how difficult it is. I'm guess i'm getting old ... on road trips I actually like to listen to my music from beginning to end of an album at a time. I'll *occasionally* listen to mixed songs, but I really do enjoy listening to albums. <shrug>

Thank you all for the ideas that you've shared tho!!!

pat----

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,708 Posts
to keep quality i would use AUX input ,but who likes wires there days . anyways just to play FLAC's from your phone over bluetooth its no prob there. i use that all time . all my music is on phone , and then when im bored with what i have, i just listen internet radio / spotify / soundcloud which gives you unlimited library
to really get true sound you need pretty good speakers in car and really good stereo . not OEM car ones.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
10 Posts
There's no such thing as "highest quality MP3".
In a car? Yeah, there is. I'll give you that hands down in with the right speakers in the right space.. but not in a car.

320 kbs vbr will do the job nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts