Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are many threads dedicated to roof rack systems. And it appears that the redesign of the 2013's factory cross bars has created a problem for some current systems.

I am looking of the most cost effective way to carry 1-2 bicycles OR 1-2 Kayaks and still have the possibility of having a roof cargo box (Cargo box and only one bike or kayak)

The Yakima Hull Raiser Aero Kayak J Cradles for Car Roof Racks ($149 each before any discount) and Yakima High Roller Upright Bike Bicycle Carrier for Car Roof Racks ($199 each) both seem like good options and appear to mount to most factory cross bars. The Yakima 7193 RocketBox Pro 11 ($359) looks like an option that would allow cargo and an additional piece of recreation equipment.

So total before tax, delivery, extras or discounts would be around $1055. For those of you with experience with these rack systems is this the way you would go, or do you have another suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the input and advice.
Paul

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Problems with 2013 Outback roof rack

I bought a Subaru small storage box, mounted it on top of my 2013 Outback. Now I am looking for an extra pair of OEM cross bars because, when I am not using the box, I take it down with cross bars attached and I need another pair of cross bars. Subaru does not sell just cross bars - one would have to buy the whole assembly (ncluding the sides) for appx $ 400. Anybody out there, who wants to sell OEM Outback cross bars or info, where to get them?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I consider my best option for roof rack is not use it but that doesn't always work.

So far the factory cross bars are sufficient for my Yakima stuff. I might consider a solution for my round bars when one comes out for the 2013.

I am so in love with my 1 Up USA hitch rack that I'd consider the 1 Up roof bike carrier.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Roof Top Box

I always had Yakimas but their prices are way too high nowadays. I bought the small OEM Subaru box for less than $ 200 from the dealer. Yakima wants more than twice for the same size box! I sold my Yakima 16S on craig's list and opted for a smaller Subaru OEM box.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I always had Yakimas but their prices are way too high nowadays. I bought the small OEM Subaru box for less than $ 200 from the dealer. Yakima wants more than twice for the same size box! I sold my Yakima 16S on craig's list and opted for a smaller Subaru OEM box.
Mine is narrow 30inches wide and seems to be longer than most of the new boxes these days. Works for snow skis really well. I would still go and find a solution to a better mount for the box vs yanking the whole cross bar.

The compression latch system Thule uses would be easy to fit to any sort of box. Can't you just tell Thule you busted two and the other two are looking iffy and pick up a pair and your golden with a proper easy install latch vs the you'll never use this box given it takes 4 midgets with double jointed fingers to install box?

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Thule quick connect

Both Thule and Yakima quick connect could fit however not sure if the pre-drilled holes in storage box are the same as the OEM holes. Drilling extra holes in storage boxes may compromise the structural stiffnes of the box and may void warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing