Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post, as I have just bought a used 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with 36k miles. I have never owned a Subaru before, but have admired them. I am buying it from a friend who has owned many of them. My question is, what would be your recommendation to best add a backup camera? This is about the only option it does not seem to have that I would like. I know there are types that are part of a license plate frame, and I think there are ones that will either show using an aftermarket new stereo, or perhaps a new mirror, or perhaps a GPS option.
If I were really lucky, perhaps there is a way to just plug one in the back of the dashboard and it would show on the display....but I doubt it would be that easy. So....has anyone bought an Outback and installed an aftermarket back up camera? If so, what would you recommend? I thank you in advance for any help. Respectfully, Frank D.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
104 Posts

I haven't tried this, but another poster said a while back he was going to. I've been hoping to hear how it went with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info! I will look into that. I was also thinking of upgrading my GPS to the Garmin 65 and use their wireless BC 40 rear camera.....no wires, etc.....Thanks!

Frank D.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For a camera, you can find these all over E-Bay:

They replace one of the license plate lights, and present a very finished look. The only downside I've found is that they fail after about five years, but for $20, easily taken care of.

I use a Gentex mirror as a display device, but there are any number of monitors available that would work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you mxfrank. That looks like a much less expensive option....but I did not see it in time. I DID order the camera that m75 rig suggested from Camera Source.....it appealed to me because it uses the existing 5" display, so it will look factory. My son will help me install it, as he has done this type of work before. If anyone here has already done this and would like to give tips, etc, please advise. I will post a review if you like when it is done. Thanks to all! Respectfully, Frank D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts