Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My front bumper keeps falling off after I backed into a low rock wall at the base of my drive way, now I need a new front bumper. All the retaining tabs are busted off. I know I can get the 2017 Outback front bumper for $180 on Amazon, but most shops are wanting $350-500 for painting it red. I've looked on ebay and nothing yet. I thought about Paint n' Ship, but heard horror stories there.

What would be the cheapest way to get my front bumper painted in Venetian red? Anyone used paintapart?

Thanks,

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
162 Posts
But that's what it costs to paint properly, ie: clean, sand, prime, paint and clear.

Cheaper jobs don't clean or prime or don't do multiple coats, and next thing you know the paint rips right off when you go to an automatic car wash.

The only way this will be cheaper is to find a bumper already in your colour at a wrecker, or learn how to paint it yourself.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
But that's what it costs to paint properly, ie: clean, sand, prime, paint and clear.

Cheaper jobs don't clean or prime or don't do multiple coats, and next thing you know the paint rips right off when you go to an automatic car wash.

The only way this will be cheaper is to find a bumper already in your colour at a wrecker, or learn how to paint it yourself.
In that case I'll just buy the bumper for $180 from Amazon and have someone paint it for me. The good thing about the new bumper is that it's already primed!

Thanks!

Reactions: AvidHiker

·
Registered
2017 outback limited 3.6. 2017 outback limited 2.5 for the wife
78 Posts
My front bumper keeps falling off after I backed into a low rock wall at the base of my drive way, now I need a new front bumper. All the retaining tabs are busted off. I know I can get the 2017 Outback front bumper for $180 on Amazon, but most shops are wanting $350-500 for painting it red. I've looked on ebay and nothing yet. I thought about Paint n' Ship, but heard horror stories there.

What would be the cheapest way to get my front bumper painted in Venetian red? Anyone used paintapart?

Thanks,
Didn’t want to go through your insurance company?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn’t want to go through your insurance company?
No they'd raise my insurance and it's already just gone up because of the economy

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,102 Posts
I recall reading the same somewhere in the Gen 5 subforum - new bumper from Suabru comes primed, so ready to paint.
You are correct; Subaru no longer offers painted body parts, but they do come primed and ready to paint. A good source of "used" parts is LKQ Parts.

Steve

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recall reading the same somewhere in the Gen 5 subforum - new bumper from Suabru comes primed, so ready to paint.
How hard would it be for me to paint the bumper myself? Wondering if this could be a fun project rather than paying someone hundreds of dollars to do for me. Since it's already primed so I just need to add a couple layers of clear coat?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,328 Posts
How hard would it be for me to paint the bumper myself? Wondering if this could be a fun project rather than paying someone hundreds of dollars to do for me. Since it's already primed so I just need to add a couple layers of clear coat?
You need to start with the body color, then I think a couple coats of clear over that. AFAIK, it's usually done by HVLP spray, which is pretty efficient (probably don't need much color, a half pint might cover it). You can buy a spray gun, vapor mask and compressor (if you don't already have one) at Home Depot but not sure how easy it would be to get good results by DIY. Ideally, you'd probably also want to set up an enclosed space to help keep wind and dust away, maybe with cardboard.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
517 Posts
How hard would it be for me to paint the bumper myself?
Depends on the results you're going after.

For results that match the original paint job? Very hard... Harder than you imagine. At least 90% of the job is prep-work, which includes getting a completely dust-free, breeze-free environment, prepping the piece to be painted, mixing & thinnning the paint (which includes the proper amount of flex agent added, to keep the paint adhered to the bendy plastic surface), etc., etc., yadda-yadda.... The relatively easy part (and it ain't all that easy) is laying on the paint, in even LIGHT layers to prevent drips & sags, but not so thin you get orange-peeling, then there's the clear topcoat(s) as desired... Not saying you can't get decent results on the first effort, but do be prepared for a LOT of fiddly detail work.

If there's a community college with a vocational-ed department near you, see if they have an auto bodywork training class, and if so, maybe they can do your bumper cover as a class demo for the cost of the paint, plus a pittance of the "normal" labor cost. Y'never know...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts