Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea of the hitchsafe, but I don't have a hitch and I don't want to use a magnetic Key Hider thing, because I'd probably lose it after the first bump.

I'm looking for a place outside the car to lock something down securely, but since the Outback's tow hooks are removable, that leaves few options.

I'm not necessarily against bolting something to the car someplace.

Ideally I'd have a hitch installed and use an accessory there, but I don't know if I can install an aftermarket hitch with the Rear Bumper Guard.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Search along ‘spare key’.<O:p</O:p
Is this permanent, or during temporary activity?

·
Registered
I have a 99 Jetta now, but I'm waiting for the 2013 Outback!
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Search along ‘spare key’.<o:p</o
Is this permanent, or during temporary activity?
It should be a permanent fixture for temporary placement. For example, if I need to leave my car for someone else to pick up, they could find the car, get the key from its hiding space (ideally protected by a combination) and take the car.

It's especially helpful for people who don't have a key to the car, but may need to use/move it. Or, like you said, for temporary activity.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Is it even possible to lock a key inside the Outback?
It's in my hand as I leave the car and hit the remote.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
I keep mine in a magnetic hide a key box picked up at home depot. Ive used these boxes for years on different cars. Never fell off. Have it stuck to the frame of the car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,865 Posts
...hmmm...guess your secret spot won't be secret after reading this...lol...:29:...didn't happen to post your location on our forum users map did you...lol even more...

Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location

c'mon....you know you wanna....:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would use this...
you could attach it underneath and just take if off before you leave to avoid damage or to a tow bar if you have one. ive used it on jeeps before.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Good magnetic hide-a-key boxes really work. The amount of force required to bump or jar them off is usually about enough to total the car. Now, they can be scraped off pretty easily if you leave them where snow, sand or mud could hit them, so watch out for that- but don't worry about hitting a pothole and having it drop loose.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
Good magnetic hide-a-key boxes really work. The amount of force required to bump or jar them off is usually about enough to total the car. Now, they can be scraped off pretty easily if you leave them where snow, sand or mud could hit them, so watch out for that- but don't worry about hitting a pothole and having it drop loose.
this ^^^ - worked for all 3 of my daughters and kept me from having to drive miles to help them on 4-5 occasions.

as a temporary thing (like a car that was gonna be picked up in a few hours) I've put a key on top of the passenger tire and once, in the notch of a tree nearby! Uh, after looking around for observers first.

However, since there are so many cameras around nowadays, I might not do that except as some kind of emergency.

·
Registered
2006 subaru Outback 2.5i
54 Posts
They have saved my bacon several times. Be careful if you power wash the car. I was in the office of a car wash and they had half a dozen or so on the wall that people knocked off washing their car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I have that exact key lock (Master Lock 5400d). I use it for all different things, but this includes leaving a spare key for my car and camper when we go camping. I have a hitch, which makes it easy to attach to one of the safety chain loops. However, there are probably a bunch of other places it could be locked onto the underside of the car. It is the type of lock box that real estate agents use to keep keys to a house... It can be shackled to most household doorknobs. It has a user adjustable combination lock. Home Depot has them on sale right now along with a smaller key box, but the smaller one won't work with most car keys... They're a little too thick.

Portable Set-Your-Own Combination Key Safe-5400DHC at The Home Depot

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
If the headlights were simple sealed beams I'd glue the key to the back of the headlight. A simple free rock would remove the cheap headlight quickly. Unfortunitly I sometimes broke the wrong headlight.

On the OB I'd consider the 'master lock' box mounted right next to the back license plate.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6r Limited
10 Posts
I would never do this. If your insurance company finds out that you did this they will not pay any of your claims.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I keep the valet key in my wallet since it's flat (all metal) and I'm not going to lock both my keys and my wallet in the car. Not sure what the Gen4 valet keys look like, but I'm sure a locksmith could cut you a "chipless" key on a metal blank that would at least let you open the doors.

·
Registered
2013 Premium, bought used with 23K miles
2 Posts
WOuld you mind suggesting where to put it? The few places I think might work seem to be too small. I'm always afraid of losing a key.....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Magnetic key holder, as reported earlier by others...That is, where I have all mine...on all cars...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited, Red
578 Posts
I epoxied a large rare earth magnet out of a hard drive to a chip-less key I had a locksmith cut for me. That thing will stick ANYWHERE under the car, and takes a lot of force to remove. This key will only get me in the car if I needed. I also have my spare chipped key hidden in a fairly hard to get to (even if you know exactly where it is) place, inside the car. Biggest downside is that the alarm will be going off the whole time I'm trying to get to the ignition key, but I'm OK with that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts