Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,204 Posts
Wow, I didn't know you could get a Class III hitch with a real 2" receiver for these cars. I have the Hidden Hitch with the 1 1/4" receiver. It works fine. I have pulled a 3000# car dolly multiple times, and a 6x12' U-Haul trailer with no problems.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
330 Posts
That's the one I have on mine. I love it - very good unit.

My biggest advice - no matter what - take it to your local Scorpion Protective Coating, Linex, or Rhino Lining place and get them to coat hitch. They should sand it, prime it, and spray it. Obviously don't coat the inside sleeve that only needs to be sanded and primed.

Yeah, you can do it yourself, but I chose a local Scorpion Dealer since they have a better variety of textures - I went with a more gritty texture as that will stand up to more of the crap you run into.

Get it coated and you won't have a rusted receiver hitch in a year or two!

Attachments

Reactions: Jenn9596

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
The curt 1 1/4" is OK on my 06. It's a little low, but hasn't affected my exit angle.

OEM will fit the best, but it's 1 1/4" and more expensive, obviously.

Check Amazon for curt/hidden hitch/etc pricing...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
moved to towing.

kind of all the same advice on all subarus:

even though subaru OEM is 1.25", all the attachments you want come in 2". so start with a 2" hitch, then you need no dorky adapter

and just don't pull too much, or load more then 200lbs on the hitch. (all subarus 1990- today, have only a 200lb tongue rating).
so with the attachment plus a typical american adult's weight they can't use one of these
"bumper dumpers" without damaging the main unibody of the car. (still wondering if the 2019 Ascent has a bigger tongue weight)

·
Registered
2006 outback XT Limited
13 Posts
I have that same hitch as well on my 06,bought at the same place.Also bought the curt wiring adapter,the box is in the spare tire well then run the wires thru a grommet thats in the bottom of the tire well.Reese makes a little adapter that mounts the wire plug to the side of the hitch.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
696 Posts
I have that same hitch as well on my 06,bought at the same place.Also bought the curt wiring adapter,the box is in the spare tire well then run the wires thru a grommet thats in the bottom of the tire well.Reese makes a little adapter that mounts the wire plug to the side of the hitch.
Do you have a link for the adapter? I just got the Curt wiring harness and my draw Tite hitch is being delivered tomorrow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts