Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a second baby on the way and I want to get a 2015 or newer outback.

I need a setup where we can take 3 adults and the two kids in car seats.

Our son is 2 and we will be rear facing for at least another year in his Grayco Contender 65.

Can someone share a specific examples of a set up where they have the driver side rear seat free for an adult, an infant in the center, and then an convertible on the passenger side rear?

Also my son will flip around the time our 2nd turns about 1 so we'd have to upgrade that infant seat as well. I'm wondering if we could even just fit a Combi coccoro from the start in the center position.

I've read the three across guides but I'd like confirmation these setups also work for 2 car seats and an adult.

thanks,

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
I would skip 2015 that glut the dealers now. (CVT / engine problems,...with a extended warranty to just 100,000 miles due to the problems.....so what if you have a issue at 100,001 miles?)

edit: whoops no 2015 outbacks/ legacy were in that bad engine bunch. just forester/crosstrek/impreza manuals.
https://subaru.oemdtc.com/80/engine-oil-consumption-2013-2015-subaru

2016s are coming back. (no CVT problems, and the earlier ones are being fixed with 2016 style CVT parts).

and with that many people you may like to look at the 3 row Ascents that are running down the assembly line right now, and due at dealers before July 1st. (some come with 2nd row captains chairs,...others come with 2nd row benches).

2019 Subaru ASCENT - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

______

or maybe even a 2011-14 tribeca...the original 3 row subaru, those and the 3.6 ouback in those years came with the last of the great 5EAT transmissions,..)

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
I would skip 2015 that glut the dealers now. (CVT / engine problems
Not to derail the topic, but what engine problems? And, for that matter, what CVT problems?

...with a extended warranty to just 100,000 miles due to the problems.....so what if you have a issue at 100,001 miles?)
Probably the same as if you had an issue 1 mile after any other warranty expired.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
I have one in the booster seat and another in the convertible. 3 adults and 2 kids is a nightmare, I did it few times. Adult cannot go in the middle, there's no enough room between two car seats, so adult has to go to one of sides. Then it is not easy to strap on kid in the middle. To give enough space to adult in the back, you'd want to put smallest car seat in the middle.

When you have only two kids in the back, you'd want to use side seats and leave middle empty.

Lower anchors are accessible from all three positions, so I don't think you will have problem putting car seats in any position, just having enough room for adult will be tricky.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Not to derail the topic, but what engine problems? And, for that matter, what CVT problems?

Probably the same as if you had an issue 1 mile after any other warranty expired.
extended warranty instead of recall.

2011-15 FB25B, and FB20B engines. oil consumption.

(. getting new cylinder liners, or new / remand short blocks,).

_______

so if you have such a car, carefully watch the oil dipstick and report to subaru any consumption problems. and read the extended warranty paperwork/ guidelines

_____

and in the near future what is subaru going to want for the short blocks, and the factory reman CVTs.?
when all the cars have 130,000 on them.

(maybe lots will have a "double whammy" and no one can pay to fix them,..
..like a 1998 EJ25D today,...mint in the junk yard but for the melted turd engine).

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would skip 2015 that glut the dealers now. (CVT / engine problems,...with a extended warranty to just 100,000 miles due to the problems.....so what if you have a issue at 100,001 miles?)

2016s are coming back.

and with that many people you may like to look at the 3 row Ascents that are running down the assembly line right now, and due at dealers before July 1st. (some come with 2nd row captains chairs,...others come with 2nd row benches).

2019 Subaru ASCENT - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

______

or maybe even a 2011-14 tribeca...the original 3 row subaru, those and the 3.6 ouback in those years came with the last of the great 5EAT transmissions,..)
What are they changing in the CVT for 2016 compared to 2015? I haven't seen that info yet. It does seem like most of the 2015 CVT's easily pass 100k without issues but there are just not many out there with more than 200k on this forum yet.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
What are they changing in the CVT for 2016 compared to 2016? I haven't seen that info yet. It does seem like most of the 2015 CVT's easily pass 100k without issues but there are just not many out there with more than 200k on this forum yet.

you can look them up on subaru parts sites,...and such prices may change after July 31,2018.

the transmissions can be unique from year to year too.
(so if you got a 15,...that is one single year trans you will be looking for in the future).

_______

on a similar note from one year to another:

if you had a choice of buying a nice around town used car, each for a similar asking price:

...would you buy a 99 with a EJ25D engine known to melt down from internal cooling failures,

or a 2000 with a EJ251 and its simple fixable head gasket oil leaks.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,915 Posts

Our son is 2 and we will be rear facing for at least another year in his Grayco Contender 65.
Congratulations on the new addition.

I have a 2011 Outback, which is slightly smaller, but I'd say that the center seat is **** near unusable with two large car seats on the outer seats. In my car, I don't have a LATCH point for the middle seat, so I'd be using a car seat with the regular strap. It's not ideal, but I also will admit I've never tried it in a pinch.

If you're considering a true family car, you may want to hold out for the three-row Ascent, or at least test drive one, to see if you can get what you're looking for with that.

And if you do drive the Ascent, or even an Outback, bring the car seats with you to your test drive. We bought our Outback back in 2011 before we had kids, so we were a little ignorant back then, otherwise we might have considered the Tribeca for a little more space.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
364 Posts
I have two Britax marathons. One forward facing and one rear facing. I can barely get the armrest down between the two seats. I do not see any way to fit an adult or another child in the rear.

·
Registered
448 Posts
For the OP.

Two car seats make for an extremely tight squeeze for a child that doesn't need a booster, much less an adult. I've done a few short trips where someone squeezed into the middle but its totally not realistic. There are a few photos of 3 car seats - the attachment points are decent where you can make the 3 seats work, so there is that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
parts.subaru.com is showing the same part number for a 2.5 cvt between 2015 and 2016 31000AJ610. Can you link your source for a difference? Its not that I don't believe you, it seems possible that updates are backward compatible if they were made making sourcing replacements a non-issue.

EDIT: I searched the forums and it appears the single year transmission problem is the High Torque version of the CVT in the 3.6 engined outbacks. This might just be because the CVT Subaru uses with the 3.6 outbacks is the older one, but there have been many more reports of issues with that model, I'm not surprised if issues remain.

Subaru has a solid reputation where dealers claim a problem from the past has been resolved, in some cases true, in many not true at all. I'm looking at you EJ headgaskets.

you can look them up on subaru parts sites,...and such prices may change after July 31,2018.

the transmissions can be unique from year to year too.
(so if you got a 15,...that is one single year trans you will be looking for in the future).

_______

on a similar note from one year to another:

if you had a choice of buying a nice around town used car, each for a similar asking price:

...would you buy a 99 with a EJ25D engine known to melt down from internal cooling failures,

or a 2000 with a EJ251 and its simple fixable head gasket oil leaks.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I assume you have three adults at home? When we had three we bought a 2005 Sequoia. Oldest kid went 3rd row passenger side. The deep cut doors allowed me or the grandparent to reach in and check the 5point car seat harness. Youngest kid sat 2nd row rear facing seat then grand parent sat 2nd row.

Only way to fit two kids seats and an adult in the OB which we have, forward facing older children in narrow booster seats. Like these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQYZCXK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1526311965&sr=8-1&keywords=inflatable+booster+car+seat&dpPl=1&dpID=41DvDhLFsJL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
6,079 Posts

Can someone share a specific examples of a set up where they have the driver side rear seat free for an adult, an infant in the center, and then an convertible on the passenger side rear?

Also my son will flip around the time our 2nd turns about 1 so we'd have to upgrade that infant seat as well. I'm wondering if we could even just fit a Combi coccoro from the start in the center position.

I've read the three across guides but I'd like confirmation these setups also work for 2 car seats and an adult.

thanks,
An OB is simply the wrong vehicle for your situation.

If you are married to Subaru the new Ascent is the only option. If not, there are lots of options. Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse and GMC Acadia all immediately come to mind. Multiple car seats and adults all fit quite comfortably.

Reactions: Flat6Brick

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts

thanks,

So I do exactly what you are thinking of but it only works for short trips in town and if the adult riding in back is petite/smaller frame.

My son is 3 and rides forward facing in his Graco 4ever (rear passenger side) and my daughter is 10.5 mos and rides in her Chicco KeyFit 30 (middle seat).

What I’ve found is if I secure the KeyFit using the seat belt instead of base it gains my wife 2-3 more inches of hiproom and that’s a huge difference. It only takes about a minute more than if I was using the base.

If longer drives are your norm, you should really consider something like the 2019 Ascent for the sake of the adult in the back.

Do you have another vehicle that serves as your family hauler? Once both kids are in convertibles the 3rd adult would have to be a contortionist so this setup would only work for you for a couple years. Our MDX lease just ended so we are looking at the Odyssey and waiting to see the Ascent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We only have 2 adults in the house. I just want the option of hauling one more person around if we go somewhere with grandma. My wifes parents are divorced and live far away and visit from time to time without their own car. The outback has one of the widest backseats of any car and many carseats will fit three across so I was just wondering what setups people had. My wife is petite. I also need a lot of legroom to drive in front of a car seat because I am tall.

The center seat does not have LATCH so a seatbelt is the only way to go.

Our friends have a prius and the wife can fit between the two rear seats in a pinch. We also could fit between the seats in a hunydai sonata and a prius v, but I would perfer an outback over both of those cars.

I really don't think I need a minivan. I'm not wed to subaru and honestly if they still made an accord or camry wagon I would get one of those.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
We only have 2 adults in the house. I just want the option of hauling one more person around if we go somewhere with grandma. My wifes parents are divorced and live far away and visit from time to time without their own car. The outback has one of the widest backseats of any car and many carseats will fit three across so I was just wondering what setups people had. My wife is petite. I also need a lot of legroom to drive in front of a car seat because I am tall.

The center seat does not have LATCH so a seatbelt is the only way to go.

Our friends have a prius and the wife can fit between the two rear seats in a pinch. We also could fit between the seats in a hunydai sonata and a prius v, but I would perfer an outback over both of those cars.

I really don't think I need a minivan. I'm not wed to subaru and honestly if they still made an accord or camry wagon I would get one of those.
well,...if you wife is petite, try putting the car seats in the subaru and your wife sitting next to them with access to the seat belt.

I have seen a 2010 outback with a infant seat, toddler seat, and a booster seat jammed across the back row.
(all fit, but zero centimeters of more room).

______

and when my sister in law was trying to egg my brother into buying a minivan for her to drive the 2 kids around in.
(kids getting too big to lift into a TALL land rover discovery 2, but still not big enough to climb into that beast on their own either).

I told her to call the 240hp honda odyssey. "the Ferrari of minivans" .
(that was a while back it, the slightly used one they got was a 2003, and the best then).

and he eventually warmed up to it, and liked taking it to home depot for big things.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
480 Posts
If you have two children, just remember that if you have more down the road the OB may not be the ideal family mobile. I have three children and an Outback, but my wife has a Chevy Traverse which has tons of room and is perfect for long road trips we take over the summer. If we end up having 4 or 5 kids, than we're going the mini-van route. But... I am not wiling to relinquish my Outback! Love the car too much. :grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts