·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
Are you obligated to get warranty replacements at Costco? If yes, then why not go with another set of Defender tires? You liked everything about them, but they wore out too soon, right? But Michelin is taking care of that by giving you credit towards another set of tires. So what if the next set also wears out prematurely. If you stay with the Defender and it's 90k warranty, you will once again get warranty towards the next set after that.

My set of Defender tires wore out prematurely too. I got just under 39k miles out of them. At first I was pretty disappointed. But the service tech at Discount Tire pointed out that the warranty took care of it. And it would again if needed. It is entirely possible that the premature tire wear is caused by the AWD. My OEM ContiProContact tires also wore out early. I only got 31k miles out of them.

So what I have decided to do, and would recommend to you also, is to stay with a well rated tire that has a high mileage tread wear warranty. Like the Defender with it's 90K mile warranty. Or the Continental ControlContact with an 80k mile warranty. I see that the X-Tour has an 80k mile warranty.

If you aren't obligated to have the warranty honored at Costco, have you considered Discount Tire? I just followed the link you attached, and it appears that Costco isn't offering the Defender any longer. If you still want it, you can get it at Discount. If you don't, they have a few more choices in tires than Costco. I'm a huge Costco fan. But having such a limited selection of tires is why I have never been a fan of buying my tires there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
40,000 miles seems to be as long as i can get all season tires to last running them year round on a AWD car.

out of those you picked: Premiers. (widening sipes).

______

to make my all seasons last longer. - I have snows on rims for each car now.
(you can run a lot longer on marginal all seasons without driving those tires in winter,).

____

and based on your screen name, do you play? (subaru wagons ...nice for sticking multiple instruments into,...under a blanket though).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I bought them at BJ's, but we have a Costco membership now. So I should go back to BJ's then? They have the Defender and if I can get credit against the warranty that would make sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm an amateur guitarist playing mainly 60s and 70s RnR. You play?

Your choice of avatar photo is interesting. I'm a photojournalist and was coming out of Afghanistan when Tienanmen Square was happening in Beijing. My agancy asked me if I wanted to go but I had business in Amsterdam, so I didn't. My good friend Charlie Cole got that shot from his hotel room - along with two other colleagues - and the story about how they hid their film from the Chinese police is fascinating. Why did you choose this photo?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,806 Posts
I was on a flight to Japan the day that whole mess broke. Everything that was in flyable condition left Narita (Tokyo) immediately for Beijing to evacuate Westerners and Japanese citizens, expats, etc. Crazy times!

Reactions: bluesman3000

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
I'm an amateur guitarist playing mainly 60s and 70s RnR. You play?

Your choice of avatar photo is interesting. I'm a photojournalist and was coming out of Afghanistan when Tienanmen Square was happening in Beijing. My agancy asked me if I wanted to go but I had business in Amsterdam, so I didn't. My good friend Charlie Cole got that shot from his hotel room - along with two other colleagues - and the story about how they hid their film from the Chinese police is fascinating. Why did you choose this photo?
I have hauled a few guitars with my wagons,...never spent much time trying to play one though.

and I remember where the film can was. ...I bet the chinese cops know to look in and around the toilet / toilet tank. (now).

I picked it when it was 25 years after the tank man went missing. .

I guess I picked it as a tribute to the guy with his grocery bags who stared down a tank,... just before that, that tank group had done some dorky pride parade ground exercise with their tanks in the square. ...in a place that had seen such vast blood shed in the previous hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989

..thought of trading for something else, but the tank man is just too cool of a peaceful revolutionary figure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha - you're right - the film cans were in the toilet tank. But the cops didn't look there!

Yes, it's a great image.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited with SAP
25 Posts
From what I hear, the Michelin - X Tour A/S T + H is the "club version" of the Michelin Defender T + H.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
919 Posts
I really like the set of General Altimax RT43 H-rated tires from Discount Tire that I put on our 2013 3.6R last December. I did quite a bit of tire research as usual and determined that they were the best bang-for-the-buck tires for our vehicle.

Using the pro-rated treadwear warranty from the mediocre factory Continental ProContact GX tires that were still on the vehicle when we purchased it in early November 2015 at 25,500 miles, I paid a total of $331 for the Generals (size P225/60R17). That was indeed a great deal, and I have a fresh 70,000-mile treadwear warranty from Discount Tire as well.

The factory Conti tires did 34,200 miles before I got rid of them when their tread was down to just over 3/32 all the way around.

My local Discount Tire store manager has taken care of us for years now.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
My 2011 Outback 3.6 has 75,000 miles and I was surprised that my Michelin Defenders need replacement at 40,000 miles. I liked them for their quietness, traction, and handling. Costco is offering the following all season tires......
I appreciate your suggestions for the best tire to replace my Michelin Defenders. Thank you!
There's Premier LTX also. I've had two sets of those on my minivan and they were great tires. Also put Premier AS on my mother's Accord and is doing just great (replaced MXV).

I have been buying tires from Costco exclusively for over 15 years (6 different cars) and always have had great experience with them. Usually the lowest price and no extra for this warrantee, that warrantee stuff. The last 10 years, they started charging for mounting and disposal fees but if buy the tires at the "right time" through their website, you can get them mounted for free too, on top of their set of 4 discount. You just have to pay attention to their emails.

They run Michelins and Bridgestone's on alternating two month promos. They have added Good Year tires recently and during the Michelins promo, you can get the same deal for BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin) too.

Recommend going to the Michelin website and look for all the tires that match your wheel/tire size. Then just have Costco get those for you (which is what I've always done).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Michilen is amazing with there warranty dept. We deal with them all the time. As long as you have rotation history, and plan to go into another Michilen they normally offer a nice percentage off the new set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts