Subaru Outback Forums banner

Best way to lift the car - brake pad change

17917 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  tigerclaws
Ok, so while I was trying to do the brake pad change this weekend, I used the jack provided by Subaru and also used the jack stands but I am not confident that this is the right approach. The jacks kinda looked unstable to me and I felt that the jack was very close to falling off (ofcourse I had the jack stands).

Is there some after market jacks that I can buy that will serve the purpose better.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Where did you place the jack stands? Jack stands with a slot for the pinch weld and the stock jack is perfectly adequate for this task. Even if you don't have the slot in the stand you can still safely support the car along the rocker panel like this:

See less See more
floor jack. get a fairly large one, that has the control in the handle, not on the side. wide stance, low profile not needed for the outback, but if you have other cars, lower profile will get it under them. also, a nice touch is the 1 or 2 pump that brings the saddle up to whatever point you are going to lift. i also have several small pieces of 2X4 wood blocks that i put on the saddle to cushion. i have 2 aluminum floor jacks, they are worth every penny.
We have a thread for lifting and supporting

http://subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5845
rockhopjohn said:
Where did you place the jack stands? Jack stands with a slot for the pinch weld and the stock jack is perfectly adequate for this task. Even if you don't have the slot in the stand you can still safely support the car along the rocker panel like this:

I see you have put the jack on a wooden plank. When I put it on the ground, it looked unstable to me as if it would fall sideways.
The_Lizard said:
This is fairly good, ty.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.