Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Rally 500 driving lights mounted this weekend. Also got them wired up to the relay under the hood. Now I need to wire up the switch.
Trying to determine the easiest/best route to get the control wires over to the driver side instrument panel.
Looks like the only pass through is on the passenger side of the firewall. That's a long way to go around. And I have to sneak it around all the HVAC stuff in the dash.
Is there a hole somewhere on the driver side that I'm not seeing?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd also like to know how everyone's going through the firewall, I'd sure hate to drill a hole!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
339 Posts
I can't say for all model years, but my 07 had a very accessible rubber grommet in plain sight on the drivers side of the fire wall - in to the center of the steering column. When I looked on the other side, there was bunch of group wires going through in a similar location - so I suspect this is a symmetrical firewall used for right hand drive cars. Anyway, we poked a small hole for the wires in the center of this oval shaped grommet and the wires come out just above the gas pedal. That easily led up to the center dash area. It was much easier than the Impreza I recently did this on.

Reactions: ruby2012 and KSKarl

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
697 Posts
Good find, Skemcin. Haven't needed to dig into the OB yet, but on other cars my usual practice is to find some grommet around a wire bundle or steering column and poke wires thru.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Good find, Skemcin. Haven't needed to dig into the OB yet, but on other cars my usual practice is to find some grommet around a wire bundle or steering column and poke wires thru.
I have used this "clutch master cylinder" mounting point to run all of my sensor wires for the gauges on both cars. I have (8) wires running through there on Frankie and (5) on Cherry. You can slit the grommet and remove the necessary rubber for the wires and you can keep the grommet. Looks very clean when done right.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
339 Posts
I have used this "clutch master cylinder" mounting point to run all of my sensor wires for the gauges on both cars. I have (8) wires running through there on Frankie and (5) on Cherry. You can slit the grommet and remove the necessary rubber for the wires and you can keep the grommet. Looks very clean when done right.
I'll have to take a picture of mine, but I pulled that quote from my post from a couple years ago when I ran all the wires for my lights and winch:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ber-auxiliary-light-switch-panel-05-09-a.html

Its convenient and easy enough to work with.
:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my 05 has that grommet, I need to have my eyes checked. I looked all over the firewall from above and didn't see anything. I'll have to take another look tonight.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do'oh! Now I see it. Blended in with the firewall insulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts