Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight & 1995 Mazda Miata
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting bored of FM radio commercials and channel surfing. Plus the UI could be much better on stations - like having the ability to delete stations. I have an iPhone and could stream music but it seems to take some time to connect and I'd prefer to not look at my phone while driving. I use apps like Amazon Music, iHeartRadio but I don't believe those allow voice commands.

So I'm thinking about signing up for SiriusXM. Anyone like or dislike it?

I steam most music and like a variety.

What do you find works well in the Outback in terms of music?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I have XM accounts in 4 of my vehicles and I love it. Don't have it in my wife's Forester as she doesn't love it.

Try it and see if you like it.

Reactions: Yoda_One

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Never paid any attention to satellite radio til the wife got it in her 2013 Legacy. After having it there I made sure I got it on my 2015 Outback. I don't do music on my phone and the local radio stations have all changed to "talk radio". So with XM I can listen to the kind of music I like anytime I want.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight & 1995 Mazda Miata
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Just signed up for a 5 month trial. Seems like the easiest and possibly best thing for radio

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
28 Posts
I had XM radio in few vehicles before and now have it active in current Outback, BUT only because all those cars came with a trial subscriptions and I NEVER extended the subscription beyond the free trial. Yes, XM radio does have few stations with music selection that I could tolerate listening to for whole day, however the overall sound quality sucks on ALL stations (due to very low bitrates they use), which is noticeable even on stock audio systems on all cars I've driven and the monthly fee is somewhat unreasonable considering the quality you're getting. Plus the built-in XM radio antenna on Outback seems to be pretty poorly designed and quickly cuts the music when the car is driving under (or next to) any kind of large obstruction such as overpasses, very tall buildings or some bridges.

Personally I'd rather make my own music collection and put it on USB stick (you can fully control the playback through the headunit) or (my current preferred way) just connect the phone using AUX IN or Bluetooth and just use one of the streaming music apps (Spotify, Google Music, Pandora or Amazon Music - whatever you prefer) to listen to stuff. Yes, manually skipping tracks might be distracting when using smartphone but I usually don't have to do that especially when using my own playlist, plus the extra positives of listening to better audio quality (even when streaming through Bluetooth), cheaper monthly fees and listening to the music without random skips (such as when driving or stopping under the underpasses, over some bridges and near other tall structures which can easily disrupt XM radio signal) greatly outweigh this minor drawback.

Anyway, it's up to you which method would be more convenient for your needs.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Hmm, the 2018 with Carplay allows you to skip songs etc with voice commands, so streaming from a phone is fast, easy, and free. I think connecting the phone through AUX IN is the way to go in the absence of that.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
How do you delete?
Unless something changed with the '18 HU, you don't. Just replace the preset with another station more to your liking.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
@z28dug You are opening a new set of worms ? Why I cannot only have 3 stations??? That was stupid that they are a default number of station???? I want at least 99 presets.....on and on and on.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
I have XM accounts in 4 of my vehicles and I love it. Don't have it in my wife's Forester as she doesn't love it.

Try it and see if you like it.
4 separate accounts X $$ for each one? Expensive unless there is a multicar discount.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
You could listen to NPR and possibly even learn something!
Good idea. I listen to quite often and I learn things. However their nauseating tedious detail on some programs and liberal bent often does get old. At that point, I switch stations. :)

Reactions: John Doe

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
... their nauseating tedious detail ... often does get old.
Welcome to the real world. Life is full of tedious details. Some of them turn out to be really important.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
4 separate accounts X $$ for each one? Expensive unless there is a multicar discount.
No multicar discount that I am aware of. That said, to the OP, Sirius raises the price at the end of your subscription period if you just let it get auto renewed, so beware. You can contact them, though, and threaten to cancel in which case they'll give you a promo price again (it's a lot like Cable TV).

I use a combination of 4 sources for "music":

(1) Sirius
(2) FM radio
(3) Music on a flash drive (which is always in the car)
(4) Streamed Pandora and Spotify

I dropped Sirius in my truck as I did not want to pay for multiple vehicles.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
@z28dug You are opening a new set of worms ? Why I cannot only have 3 stations??? That was stupid that they are a default number of station???? I want at least 99 presets.....on and on and on.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul
I am a creature of habit and live in a music time warp. I could get along just fine with 3 presets. I get in my son's car and every preset is used.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
No multicar discount that I am aware of.
There is a multi-car discount but at least one of your radios need to be on one of their higher tier plans like premier or all channel.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
There is a multi-car discount but at least one of your radios need to be on one of their higher tier plans like premier or all channel.
Ah, okay, that explains why I have not heard of it - I'm always on a promo price :)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Welcome to the real world. Life is full of tedious details. Some of them turn out to be really important.
Been in the real world for 73 years. Correct, some of the details are important. Not all NPR event coverages are in many cases. They often dwell on the tiniest detail. Guess they are the guy, we all know a few, who cannot generalize or summarize. :)

Reactions: 15thSubaru
1 - 20 of 22 Posts